Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 4:09 am

i wonder if many aspies have the artist in them? i dont paint at all, but i love looking at trees moving in the wind, that kind of thing. i'm fascinated by nature's beauty, hypnotized by it, soothed. just because i dont paint, doesnt mean i'm not an artist at heart. i know only to some extent, because i dont paint, so i'm not really an artist.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 4:19 am

Why painting? Why not poems, stories, photograhy, music, song, building clay houses....?

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 4:23 am

Jensen wrote:
Why painting? Why not poems, stories, photograhy, music, song, building clay houses....?

i'm crazy about music, listening, not singing. it changed my mood and soothes me. and i take feral cats pictures and videos. maybe i should start taking nature photograpy as well.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 4:31 am

felinesaresuperior wrote:
Jensen wrote:

i'm crazy about music, listening, not singing. it changed my mood and soothes me. and i take feral cats pictures and videos. maybe i should start taking nature photograpy as well.

What would this world be without music!

This is just a claim, but I think I appreciate music on a higher level than many people do. But I've heard that's not at all uncommon for AS people. I'm the stereotypic math/computer-aspie, and music is basically math in sound format.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 4:34 am

qawer wrote:
Jensen wrote:

This is just a claim, but I think I appreciate music on a higher level than many people do. But I've heard that's not at all uncommon for AS people. I'm the stereotypic math/computer-aspie, and music is basically math in sound format.

Yes! i'm pretty sure it's an asd trait, the love for music. an nt coworker told me she's in college now, and the aspies in college are the smartest, but they also sing in class. she made a sour face and said they're acting horribly, she doesnt know i'm an aspie. i told her it's not done in malice or with bad intentions. they dont mean to disturb others, not deliberately.
i'm pretty sure music affects us in a way nts wouldnt understand.

greyrobin
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Nov 2013, 4:41 am

Umm, according to my peers and teachers, I'm kind of talented in Art. I mostly draw cartoon figures or still life with pencil. But I do not intend to pursue it as a career. I'm more into Science.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 4:44 am

qawer wrote:
Jensen wrote:

Yes! i'm pretty sure it's an asd trait, the love for music. an nt coworker told me she's in college now, and the aspies in college are the smartest, but they also sing in class. she made a sour face and said they're acting horribly, she doesnt know i'm an aspie. i told her it's not done in malice or with bad intentions. they dont mean to disturb others, not deliberately.

I'm glad you enjoy music to that extent, felinesaresuperior, it's important considering the social issues we've inevitably been facing in our lives.

I listen to music whenever possible. It gives me energy.

This is just too good:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2CswqotSik[/youtube]

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 4:52 am

I have an easel behind me, with a blank canvas, just waiting for me and my paint brush. I'm going to get myself a cup of tea, then it's time to start. I've no idea what it's going to be yet. I usually do landscapes, but I want to do something different this time.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 4:58 am

greyrobin wrote:
Umm, according to my peers and teachers, I'm kind of talented in Art. I mostly draw cartoon figures or still life with pencil. But I do not intend to pursue it as a career. I'm more into Science.
I don't know how old you are. When I was 17, I had the choice of going to art school or uni, to study biology. I chose the latter, as I was being told by everyone, except my art teacher, that it was a better career choice and that I could keep art as a hobby. So, I pursued that biology career. But, it never happened, I ended up in an admin job and my art was pushed aside for 25 years or so (never did manage to feature as a hobby). In recent years, I've been picking up that pencil/brush and doing some art. Now, it's what I'm pinning my hopes on for my future. I regret not keeping it up over all those years. Please, if you have talent, use it, even if only as a hobby. :)

BunnyMum
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Nov 2013, 5:07 am

I love, love, love music. I can get a tune out of most instruments I've tried playing. I taught myself to read music a little when I was young, but have a bad memory and couldn't retain the information. But I can play tunes by ear. I love my Irish Tin Whistle. I pick it up and play a tune and it makes me so happy. I also love singing, but am too shy to sing in public. I used to sing in public as a child, but even then I got terrible stage fright! My CD player is well and truly overworked!

I'm also an artist (I especially enjoy painting abstracts), photographer, poet, draw cartoons... and have done many crafts over the years.

I have earned a part-time income from selling my art and poems in books and on gift products over the past 13 years. I lose interest in things easily, so this month I might draw cartoons and next month I might focus on writing poems, then it's photography's turn the next month, etc. But it all comes together well. I do a lot of digital art now on my tablet... a canvas I can take everywhere... love it!

Art, music and creativity are my main special interests and I could happily talk about them all day (and do them, which I do)... so I'd better stop now :D

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 5:12 am

Felinesaresuperior:

Quote:
Don´t be too sure about that.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 5:25 am

Jensen wrote:
Felinesaresuperior:
Quote:
Don´t be too sure about that.

Agreed, I know many NTs enjoy music immensely.

But I think their enjoyment of music is much connected to the social context in which it exists. I have the idea that Aspies are often great at enjoying music merely for the music itself. Perhaps also because of the repetitive aspect of music (melody, rhythms etc.).

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 6:20 am

You might have a point there, yet many composers, - and they can´t be AS all of them, - works with repetition and sequences.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 6:22 am

qawer wrote:
Agreed, I know many NTs enjoy music immensely.

But I think their enjoyment of music is much connected to the social context in which it exists. I have the idea that Aspies are often great at enjoying music merely for the music itself. Perhaps also because of the repetitive aspect of music (melody, rhythms etc.).

Curiously enough, some part of my enjoyment of songs is from the lyrical content that will often speak of relationships to other people. In listening to the lyrics or singing/humming along to them, I kind of find myself imagining the POV of the singer, and how they experience love, friendship etc.

Like felinesaresuperior, I'm a nature lover and I enjoy the beauty of nature to a fairly deep extent. I used to enjoy drawing, but in recent years, I've gotten out of practice and have dropped it as a hobby altogether. I used to consider myself an artist, but I no longer do. There is no inspiration, there is no will to continue drawing, it's as if I have a very persistent 'painter's block'. It hurts and it feels like something has been lost inside of me. I now try to compensate for it by focusing on my lust for gathering and storing information, so one could say I've grown more 'mind over heart' as time's gone on.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 7:00 am

CyclopsSummers wrote:
I used to enjoy drawing, but in recent years, I've gotten out of practice and have dropped it as a hobby altogether. I used to consider myself an artist, but I no longer do. There is no inspiration, there is no will to continue drawing, it's as if I have a very persistent 'painter's block'. It hurts and it feels like something has been lost inside of me. I now try to compensate for it by focusing on my lust for gathering and storing information, so one could say I've grown more 'mind over heart' as time's gone on.
I get this too, a great deal. In fact, I spend a tiny fraction of my time actually painting/drawing. I spend a ridiculous length of time trying to think of what to do and looking at photos and books for inspiration and never getting much. I'm actually obsessed with this thinking, but I don't do much at all. I've put down my background on a canvas this morning, so that's start.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 8:37 am

is making pizza an art?