Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

404nf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Nov 2013, 3:23 am

I recently got diagnosed with Aspergers, and that's helped shed light on the problems I've been facing throughout my life.
I am able to explain all my problems in terms of Aspergers, hence I always keep bringing the topic up with my mother, and she's thinking that I'm becoming kinda obsessed with the diagnosis, which is not true. If I can explain all my problems as problems related to Aspergers, doesn't mean I'm obsessed with it.
Anyways, to the main topic now. I recently switched schools, and my new school is in an entirely new city, 500 miles away from my home and the place I've lived in all my life. So I have to stay in my schools dorms, which is a total change to my environment and lifestyle, which makes me anxious and uncomfortable.
Secondly, I cannot, I just cannot do homework, I just cannot. And teachers here keep pouring homework on me constantly, and I am being pushed under a lot of pressure.
Teachers here are not so very nice to me. Three of them asked me to leave the school, calling me useless and stuff, and others keep threatening me to take my laptop from me(computers are my special interest, and currently the only thing that keeps me alive and helps me deal with my problems by diverting the energy). They never try to understand what I'm going through, and keep blaming me for everything and threatening me for everything.
Also, the students are rude and bad to me, they don't bully me, but they are not good with me either.
My mother thinks this is the best school in the country where nothing can go wrong with me, but the inverse is true. But she is not ready to accept the fact, and even if she were, we've already paid a heck load of money for this school and nearly half of the year is over.
But I just don't want to be in this bl***y sh***y school, what can I do? Somebody please help me! They are making me go mad, and I am on the verge of a huge meltdown. I am also planning on running away from here if nothing can be done, and I don't care if I die in the process.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 5:46 am

I don't know you so I can only generalize. An aspie trait is having "special interests". The difference between special interests and hobbys is that special interests do crowd out other activities. In the days and months following diagnoses many have Aspergers become a special interest because so much of ones life becomes explained. It's only natural. But Aspergers while important does not explain everything in ones life.

The thing with Aspergers that we stink at multitasking and are resistant to change. And now you have to deal a big change and multitasking no wonder you are freaking out. Since for financial reasons you will be stuck there at least for this year the thing to do is brake things down and use your aspie hyperfocus to concentrate one or at most two problems at a time. That way it becomes less overwhelming. And my advice is to concentrate on your homework.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

404nf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Nov 2013, 7:27 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I don't know you so I can only generalize. An aspie trait is having "special interests". The difference between special interests and hobbys is that special interests do crowd out other activities. In the days and months following diagnoses many have Aspergers become a special interest because so much of ones life becomes explained. It's only natural. But Aspergers while important does not explain everything in ones life.

The thing with Aspergers that we stink at multitasking and are resistant to change. And now you have to deal a big change and multitasking no wonder you are freaking out. Since for financial reasons you will be stuck there at least for this year the thing to do is brake things down and use your aspie hyperfocus to concentrate one or at most two problems at a time. That way it becomes less overwhelming. And my advice is to concentrate on your homework.

One thing is, from my childhood, I've been resistant, rather violent, towards homework. I hate it, I just hate it! I can't take it! I just can't mix school and home. I already go through a lot of stressful situations at school, and I don't want to bring them back from school to my other life, and make both of them hell.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 7:37 am

I hated homework and the merging of school and my own time too. Later it changed to hating having to take work home. But I did alright in life anyway. One tip is to stay late at class (or work) and complete what you have to do before calling it a day.

When things are bad, doing something reckless pretty much guareentees it will just get worse. And it will not 'show' or 'prove' anything to anyone. It will only hurt yourself. Better to try and grow a little from experiences and rise above them.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 3:33 pm

Now I get it and understand. I have felt the same way and compensated in a similar way to Toy Soldier. Is the school library open late? If not the public library probably is. And the thing about libraries is that they are QUIET and they have computers also.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

old_badger
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Nov 2013, 3:58 pm

ASD is going to an important part of life. You have every right to learn about it. That is not a obsession. Asperger's is not you personality. It creates an outer shell that others think is your personality.

You have every right to create your own accommodations. The school has no right to interfere. (Although, they may think they have the power.) Your computer is the best tool for accomodations. (Linux is cheaper for the extra programs you will need.)

Some people have a combination of ADHD and Aspergers. They often find that the ADHD medicine doesn't work.

I hope you can find others in the school that have Asperger's.

404nf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Nov 2013, 12:10 am

The thing is, I am a residential student at my school, and the school library doesn't stay open all night, and even if it were, we aren't allowed to go outside the dorms after 10AM.

Actually, I've tried a lot, but no one in my school, apart from me, has Aspergers, not even a low level of it. They think they can do whatever the hell they want with me as I am a residential student at their school. Yeah, I use my computer for accommodations(Actually, since you seem technical, I have around 2 dedicated servers and 33 VPS servers running Linux for my personal use although on my laptop I run Mac since its a MacBook)

I got a diagnosis for ADHD as well, but I kinda dismissed it after I got diagnosed with Aspergers, since it explains everything clearly and I don't think ADHD would help any better in explaining my problems. I tried ADHD medicine, never taking them again.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2013, 12:20 am

404nf wrote:
I recently got diagnosed with Aspergers, and that's helped shed light on the problems I've been facing throughout my life.
I am able to explain all my problems in terms of Aspergers, hence I always keep bringing the topic up with my mother, and she's thinking that I'm becoming kinda obsessed with the diagnosis, which is not true. If I can explain all my problems as problems related to Aspergers, doesn't mean I'm obsessed with it...

Getting obsessed with things is a common Aspie trait. People tend to, possibly too often, use the "polite" term "special interests". If we want to be honest, let's just admit to "obsessions". *grin*

As for teachers asking you to leave the school, it seems odd to me they'd say such a thing to the student and not to the parents. How old are you and what country do you live in? Also, do your parents realize that this new situation, apparently meant to help you, is exposing you to people who obviously aren't qualified to deal with someone in your situation?

I also question them threatening to take your property from you. Your parents might want to know about this as well.

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2013, 1:26 am

Do you know why you can't do homework? Can't get started? Too boring? Too overwhelming? Were you able to do homework before you came to this school? Oh ooops, I just saw your message about always hating homework.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2013, 2:12 am

Sethno wrote:

As for teachers asking you to leave the school, it seems odd to me they'd say such a thing to the student and not to the parents. How old are you and what country do you live in? Also, do your parents realize that this new situation, apparently meant to help you, is exposing you to people who obviously aren't qualified to deal with someone in your situation?

I also question them threatening to take your property from you. Your parents might want to know about this as well.

It seemed odd to me that teachers would say anything to anybody about forcing a student out. Usually that is the job for administrators. As for the computer it would matter a lot if the threat is to take the computer away during classroom time or just steal it outright.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2013, 2:14 am

As I first started learning all this AS stuff I, too, talked about it way too much. It became a bit of a special interest and bored others. Also, my symptoms were much stronger then and so I was more predisposed to behaving that way.

Re: Homework.. do your damned homework. You're paying good money to learn; get your money's worth.

404nf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Nov 2013, 5:19 am

Sethno wrote:
404nf wrote:
I am able to explain all my problems in terms of Aspergers, hence I always keep bringing the topic up with my mother, and she's thinking that I'm becoming kinda obsessed with the diagnosis, which is not true. If I can explain all my problems as problems related to Aspergers, doesn't mean I'm obsessed with it...

Getting obsessed with things is a common Aspie trait. People tend to, possibly too often, use the "polite" term "special interests". If we want to be honest, let's just admit to "obsessions". *grin*

I am 16 years old, and I live in, ahem, India. But this school is an IB school.
I told them that, but they are like it will get better or that they will talk to the higher authorities at school. Heck, they even did, and none of them would pick up the calls or respond to smses/emails, and if they do, they'll say that there's no problem at all and just not accept their fault.
They say its to help me, but honestly speaking, its like my laptop is a piece of me, an extension of me, it is part of who I am. I can't live without it. Its like asking me to give both my kidneys, and a lung, and the right hemisphere of my brain, all at once. And that is not exaggerating the situation. Computers are they only thing I can always go to in order to relieve my stress, and calm myself down. Its like they're my only friends. My parents know, but they say just agree to them, we'll talk about it. Or something along those lines. They are furious about it, but theres little they can do being 500 miles away.

btbnnyr wrote:
Do you know why you can't do homework? Can't get started? Too boring? Too overwhelming? Were you able to do homework before you came to this school? Oh ooops, I just saw your message about always hating homework.

Its too overwhelming, I need my personal space after going to school all day. I have never in my life been able able to do homework.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
It seemed odd to me that teachers would say anything to anybody about forcing a student out. Usually that is the job for administrators. As for the computer it would matter a lot if the threat is to take the computer away during classroom time or just steal it outright.

They are threatening to take my laptop away first for all the time apart from the classroom time, and then they upgraded the threat to 'forever'. The teacher(doesn't teach me anything though) says that he wants a new laptop anyways, so he'll keep mine rather than buy a new one.

goldfish21 wrote:
As I first started learning all this AS stuff I, too, talked about it way too much. It became a bit of a special interest and bored others. Also, my symptoms were much stronger then and so I was more predisposed to behaving that way.

Re: Homework.. do your damned homework. You're paying good money to learn; get your money's worth.

I don't talk about it with everyone, I am trying to keep the diagnosis to myself, as I don't want people to judge me for it or the like.
Doing the homework is one thing I CANNOT do. I just can't. The moment I try doing it, its like my head becomes heavy and I start feeling tired and all that, but not like NT's do, I feel it in reality, its not just an excuse.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2013, 6:21 am

Don't know anything about India but hopefully these people do.

http://www.autism-india.org/

They are a Indian autism advocacy organization. There are some phone numbers your parents may want to call.

404nf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Nov 2013, 7:56 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Don't know anything about India but hopefully these people do.

http://www.autism-india.org/

They are a Indian autism advocacy organization. There are some phone numbers your parents may want to call.

Ok, thanks, will ask my parents to have a look.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2013, 12:48 pm

Keep us informed.

404nf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Nov 2013, 5:04 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Keep us informed.

Just yesterday night, that teacher came to me again, and I was using my laptop at around 10:45PM. My usual sleeping time is 1-2AM, as I am a big night owl. I can literally feel my creativity go up during that time of the night, as its quiet all around, and I don't have to look at or deal with people.
He said to me that if I use my laptop after 10:30PM, he'll keep it, as I said earlier. He comes, sees me using my laptop, and he's like this is the last time I'm letting you go, I am not going to take your laptop this time, but I am not going to forget this incident either. He said three of the IT people in my school are tracking whatever I do on the internet night and day, and in the past week I've downloaded 5GB of data(LOL) and I am abusing their network. Now I would get my own internet connection, but this school is in a very remote location with no wireless network connectivity whatsoever. He says that I'm going to have to face very serious punishments.
I am going to call my mother and tell her about that website in a few hours.
I am tired of his s**t now, I am almost on the verge of a meltdown due to him, what should I do? My mother tried calling people at the school but they never pick up their phones.