Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Are you followed around by shop assistants?
Poll ended at 05 Jan 2014, 3:37 pm
Often 22%  22%  [ 12 ]
Sometimes 30%  30%  [ 16 ]
Rarely 19%  19%  [ 10 ]
Never 30%  30%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 54

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 3:37 pm

Please only vote if you shop in non-online stores.

I get this ALL the time. They are so obvious about it as well. I remember in one shop this older woman gave me an evil look when I looked at her. In another shop when I couldn't decide which sunglasses to buy, I was given a fed-up sort of look from a SA.

Note that those 'looks' rarely happen, but almost every time I browse a shop, I'm followed, and they poorly disguise this by ruffling the clothes on the rail opposite or behind me...and when I move, they move near me again.

Last edited by smudge on 16 Nov 2013, 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 4:09 pm

Yes, I think they send the "loss prevention" people after me much of the time because I look suspicious. There's often an employee who walks past numerous other customers directly to me to do the "Can I help you find anything?" thing. Or someone who follows me around, acting like they're scanning inventory. Or maybe I'm just paranoid. There was at least one time when they were definitely watching me, though. There was a guy who seemed to believe he was playing Metal Gear Solid peeking around the endcaps at me like a moron. :lol:

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 4:32 pm

I voted never, but it's because I hate shopping and do most of mine online.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 4:34 pm

Perhaps it's best to only vote if you actually do shop in high street stores, otherwise it'll mess with the results.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 4:40 pm

smudge wrote:
Perhaps it's best to only vote if you actually do shop in high street stores, otherwise it'll mess with the results.

Sorry! I don't even know what a high street store is. Must be a British thing - sounds fancy.

I do go into stores once in a while though.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 4:47 pm

Don't worry about it! :D I should've explained it.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 5:02 pm

wozeree wrote:
I voted never, but it's because I hate shopping and do most of mine online.

Join the club! I like to go to the store and malls to window ship and if I find something I want or need. I just go home and order it online for half the price. Ya! So what of it take about a week for it to get here. It's nice to go to the mall and have the salesman demo and tell you all you need to know about the product so I can make an informed decision for my online purchase.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 5:14 pm

I tend to wear jackets even in warm weather and not so "trendy" clothes so I tend to get dirty looks by shopkeepers.

A most amusing experience was being told by a not so impressed sales guy at a boutique men's clothing store on presenting a gift voucher (after he looked me up and down) was that I'm lucky because my voucher is valid for 12 months so I can take advantage of the next Christmas sale when prices are more affordable (for somebody like me).

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 5:19 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I tend to wear jackets even in warm weather and not so "trendy" clothes so I tend to get dirty looks by shopkeepers.

A most amusing experience was being told by a not so impressed sales guy at a boutique men's clothing store on presenting a gift voucher (after he looked me up and down) was that I'm lucky because my voucher is valid for 12 months so I can take advantage of the next Christmas sale when prices are more affordable (for somebody like me).

Oh wow, what a complete snob. I would've complained.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 5:37 pm

What annoys me is when I want to browse and the SA is in your face but when I do want help they're nowhere around. :evil:

SG78
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Nov 2013, 5:59 pm

I don't like salespeople following me around. I don't think it's because they think I'm stealing so much as they're forced by their bosses to be aggressive. Or in many cases, they ARE the owners of the shops. This is why I tend to favor larger retail establishments if I must shop offline. They tend to let you be a little more. I would rather compare products and shop on my own terms.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 6:04 pm

smudge wrote:
Note that those 'looks' rarely happen, but almost every time I browse a shop, I'm followed, and they poorly disguise this by ruffling the clothes on the rail opposite or behind me...and when I move, they move near me again.

Hey sis, p'raps they fancy you. Maybe they would like to take you on a date?

I never get this.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 6:06 pm

Tequila wrote:
smudge wrote:

Hey sis, p'raps they fancy you. Maybe they would like to take you on a date?

I never get this.

They're almost always women.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 6:10 pm

smudge wrote:

Oranges are not the only fruit! ;)

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 6:13 pm

Tequila wrote:
smudge wrote:

Oranges are not the only fruit! ;)

I don't fancy women, and as far as I know...they don't fancy me either.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 7:11 pm

I think we probably give off an 'off' vibe which gets translated in their minds as 'possible shoplifter'. I get this quite often when I just want to look at things, there will be a shop assistant instantly by my side asking if I need help with anything. But if I actually want help with anything, half the time I can't get a SA to talk to me. To be fair, it also happens that sometimes I will need help and there will be an incredibly nice and helpful SA on hand, so maybe we just notice the unpleasant ones more because they are unpleasant?