My Blog Post on Going Public with Asperger's

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

creativeaspie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Nov 2013, 5:52 pm

I just wanted to share with the community here my "coming out" story and encourage others to give me feedback (if you want).

http://john.do/autism/

I just want to encourage everyone to remember how special and unique we are. Sure, we all have challenges but we also have unique opportunities to provide significant value to others and to our community.

A long story short, I personally felt like coming out and using my platform would be my own personal opportunity. I weighed the pros and the cons and I'm happy with my decision. Thankfully, I have a lot of support from my close family.

This is in no way prescriptive as each autist has their own unique perspective on being public or not; rather, this is just part of my story.

Have a great weekend folks!

john

Going Public

nopenope
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Nov 2013, 8:45 pm

Hi,
I have not read all the way through your post yet, but I am wondering... what Country and state or province are you in? How big is your city? How did you find an Adult-Autism-specializing psychiatrist? Did you have to pay out-of-pocket for your assessments and diagnosis?

I am considering seeking a diagnosis but I fear I may be triaged down far enough to have rediculous wait time as I am not currently experiencing a lot of distress or disfunction (That I recognise...) ...

creativeaspie

16 Nov 2013, 9:38 pm

i am in atlanta, ga, and have some amazing contacts within the emory healthcare network. my primary care physician is one of the best in the emory system and was able to connect me with a number of local psychiatrists.