Unaware of your own facial expressions?

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

slickbacksteve
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Nov 2013, 12:55 am

i remember having to look in the mirror in high school, practicing how to smile to where it didnt look fake or creepy. i still catch myself practicing facial expressions in the mirror but i dont think im able to copy those expressions very well unless i can actually see my face... so looks like ill always be that guy that looks angry

Falloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2013, 9:05 am

I think most of the time my face is a blank mask. That's how it feelsd anyway. Sometimes people report that I'm looking angry or confused when I'm not aware that I've moved a muscle in my face.

When I try to "put on" an expression (like smiling for a photograph) the expression never looks convincing - just weak and pathetic.

IntellectualCat
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Nov 2013, 10:10 am

Often I'm not aware of my facial expression, and sometimes my facial expression leads to misunderstandings. Sometimes I hear people saying, "What are you smiling about?" and I don't understand why I'm smiling. I would understand if I were thinking of something funny.

Also, some people say I'm shy, and before I didn't understand why people say I'm shy. However, one time when I was meeting new people, one person commented that I looked scared. Then my dad explained that I was just confused. After that, I realized that I had anxiety because of confusion and over-stimulation from there being many people.

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2013, 1:58 pm

I'm often not aware, and this can also be said about my tone of voice; people often accuse me as coming off as "rude."

Oren
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2013, 2:16 pm

It's an ongoing lifelong problem. Not for me, but for others as they can't detect expression on me.