Iowa Parents Defend Bullying of Aspie teen

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 3:35 pm

Since it's the Aspie teens fault anyway.

From Gawker

Iowa teen Levi Null, 13, struggles with Asperger's Syndrome and ADHD. He's always been picked on, but recently the bullies began ramping up their behavior: they started making videos of Null at school—some of them videos of his involuntary movements caused by Asperger's—and then posting them online with school computers.

According to Null's mother, the videos showed students hitting Null, smacking him, and teasing him all while the teachers are shown turning away. On Monday, Josh Ehn, principal of Melcher-Dallas High School, told WHOTV that the video was taken offline, destroyed, and all those involved were disciplined.

But the parents of the kids involved in the video are now standing up for their kids. The father of the teen who uploaded the video, Levi Weatherly, says Null is asking for it. "I would say three-fourths of this stuff he brings on himself and and probably a fourth of it is bullying that shouldn't be going on," Weatherly said.

Since airing the news story on Monday, the news station has received over 100 comments— not in support of Null and his family—but in support of the bullies. Most of the comments blame Null for his disabilities:

Jamie Harrison wrote: "He called my nephew a nasty name and my nephew Cole cocked (sic) him in the mouth. I`m proud of my nephew for doing that."

Nate Goof wrote: "This kid has done things to get people mad that I think he could probably control."

The principal ultimately ruled that the video did not even "meet the criteria" for bullying and the school board President, Bob Lepley, says he stands by the principal's decision.

Now, because of the backlash, Null is afraid to go to school. However, his mother also notes that at least two students have come forward to apologize for their behavior, saying they didn't know how much it impacted Null.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 4:36 pm

Anybody who believes that physical violence is an appropriate response to a verbal insult is an insufferable Neanderthal.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 4:39 pm

That is pretty bad!

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 4:52 pm

I can't stand this "well, if you were less weird you wouldn't be bullied"-stuff

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 5:39 pm

Heidi80 wrote:
I can't stand this "well, if you were less weird you wouldn't be bullied"-stuff

I hate the way they blame the person being bullied too.

There is NO excuse for bullying someone! NONE.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 5:48 pm

Anybody surprised??

This was my experience as a kid, and it's still the same.

I hate it, but I teach my son: "Just shut up. People are mean. Just shut up."

That's better than, "Just shut up. You are different, different is bad, you have no rights. Just shut up."

I'm sorry, but the fact of human nature is that, if you give someone an excuse to hurt you, even if you can't help it, they are going to take the opportunity.

That's The Monkey, folks. The Monkey lives in everyone.

That is why we will never be accepted, and why I'd be standing in line with a prayer on my lips if they said they'd found a cure.

You don't get to control other people. That's how it is.

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 6:05 pm

Is there a source for this?

I still can't believe what I just read!

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 6:21 pm

FluttercordAspie93 wrote:
Is there a source for this? I still can't believe what I just read!

http://gawker.com/iowa-parents-defend-b ... 1468737572

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 6:28 pm

disgusting

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 6:41 pm

"There's a slow leak in Iowa." -1950s comedian Steve Allen, when asked who watched his TV show

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 6:45 pm

tall-p wrote:
FluttercordAspie93 wrote:
Is there a source for this? I still can't believe what I just read!

http://gawker.com/iowa-parents-defend-b ... 1468737572

Thanks!

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 6:52 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
Anybody surprised??

This was my experience as a kid, and it's still the same.

I hate it, but I teach my son: "Just shut up. People are mean. Just shut up."

That's better than, "Just shut up. You are different, different is bad, you have no rights. Just shut up."

I'm sorry, but the fact of human nature is that, if you give someone an excuse to hurt you, even if you can't help it, they are going to take the opportunity.

That's The Monkey, folks. The Monkey lives in everyone.

That is why we will never be accepted, and why I'd be standing in line with a prayer on my lips if they said they'd found a cure.

You don't get to control other people. That's how it is.

I say, people are mean if one does shut up. It is damned if one does and damned if one doesn't.

I have been thinking of something. Harry Browne sees it this way as well. Read his chapter on Social Restrictions.
http://www.wrongplanet.net/forums-posti ... 60801.html

His opinion is there is no safe social or moral code that will win everyone's approval. Why do we have to have everyone's approval? My question is what do you think will bring the most benefit to your son and yourself? What will cost more? Will shutting up cost more or will fighting back cost more or is there a third way that may cost less of either of these and may bring benefit?

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 9:35 pm

I think it's unnatural for kids to be in school anyway. They should spend more time with their families (I know this isn't going to happen.) But I think putting people in groups and confining them leads to the worst in people.

21 Nov 2013, 10:13 pm

I pour wine and drink deep

To kill care for a time.
-------------------------------------------

21 Nov 2013, 10:15 pm

And my servant's worn out.

How can I pass my blight?

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 10:57 pm

Willard wrote:
Anybody who believes that physical violence is an appropriate response to a verbal insult is an insufferable Neanderthal.

Sticks and stone may break bones, but words can break the mind.