THIS is how I've been treating myself w/ miraculous results.

Page 12 of 13 [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

grahamguitarman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2013, 3:39 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Blah blah blah a bunch of depressed thoughts and baseless negativity & cynicism about things not working that you haven't even tried and thus have no idea in reality whether they'd work for you or not.

I really dislike "ageism," because when I graduated from business school when I was 19 I was quite frustrated with potential employers/new employers not taking me seriously & discounting what I had to contribute based on my age.. buuuut, "Age: 18" = I've got 13 years of living with symptoms & learning on you. You've got a lot to learn yet. It's not your fault, you're just simply not old enough, mature enough, wise enough yet to be open minded enough to accept the possibility that some things you don't currently believe are in fact very real.

Guess what - I'm 51, which gives me 20 years life experience over you and therefore by your own reckoning makes me wiser and more open minded than yourself. And I still don't believe in your self diagnosis or your cure.

It has nothing to do with ageism, or depression, or baseless negativity, it has to do with recognising bad science when I see it. These days I prefer a career in art, but when I originally left school I was training to be a research chemist, so I do actually know what real science is about, and I see no real science here.

I have Autism. My communication difficulties mean that I sometimes get words wrong, that what I mean is not what comes out.

grahamguitarman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2013, 3:49 pm

delaSHANE wrote:
I have hyper and hypo sensory processing issues, as well, however, most of my symptoms from sensory processing disorder were in fact relieved, significantly by the affects of the same diet/detox that goldfish is doing, at this time. The detox caused significant life altering changes, in my case and the following is a list of symptoms that were affected, either lessened/relieved, significantly, or have been eliminated, completely:

1. Eczema - Eliminated
2. GI issues - Eliminated
3. Lethargy - Eliminated
4. Brain Fog - Eliminated
5. Sinus Infections - Eliminated
6. Iron Deficiency - Eliminated
7. Mood Issues - Eliminated
8. Hip and Shoulder Pain from sports injuries - Eliminated
9. Anxiety/Panic Attack's - Eliminated
10. Basic Anxiety - Significantly Relieved
11. Sensory Processing Issues - Significantly Relieved various hypersensitivities/Completely Eliminated hypo-auditory issues.
12. Weight Loss - Completely Normalized and Stabilized Weight
13. Cognitive Abilities are now off the chain. For the first time in my life, I could focus when conversing with someone, face to face, to the point where, not only do I possess the ability to take in all details of the topic at hand, but, for the first time in my life, I got sheer enjoyment out of a face to face conversation with another human. That has been one of the most intensely felt experiences of my life, in fact.
14. Meltdowns - Lessened Significantly
15. Happy/Relaxed State of mind, most of the time
16. Tics - -both Significantly Relieved and Completely Eliminated
17. Flexibility - Significant Increaseism[/b]
18. OCD Symptoms - Significantly Less Severe

edit: (There were less significant issues/ailments that have been relieved/eliminated by the detox/diet, that I may have neglected to list).

I am doing a modified version of the diet, at this time. To reacquire peak mental performance, as my brain has been a bit sluggish in recent weeks, and I know how much diet plays a part in my over-all well-being.

My official Diagnosis, by the way, is Asperger Syndrome.

Uh a large proportion of those symptoms are not even recognised symptoms of autism, so why include them?

I have Autism. My communication difficulties mean that I sometimes get words wrong, that what I mean is not what comes out.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 4:17 pm

I am all for a healthy diet and know myself how much a clean diet can make a difference to physical health but I am not a huge fan of all this candida and leaky gut thing going around.

I have greatly improved my physical health using a modified paleo diet and exercise. Even the mood starts to improve when I keep my carb consumption down to lower levels (just not too low with all the weight lifting and cardio I do) but I am still having horrid social problems (whatever their cause), I am still sensitive to noise in crowded places, I still don't like certain types of light, my skin is still sensitive to uncomfortable seams and some labels in clothing etc.

My need for routine has reduced a little bit but I still tend to like to repeat things over and over and over again or do things in the same way (still not keen on change in certain ways) etc.

I do tolerate noise for longer than I used to though as now I am feeling physically better and don't get so many headaches I can put up with it more. It still bothers me though. My tolerance for such things is lower when I am ill, but my sensitivity does not go away when I feel physically well either.

I do think more people should try a clean diet in regards to physical health (I call it a clean diet as I am not strictly paleo..more paleo influenced) and remove some of the chemicals and artificial additives etc they consume but I advise some caution with the whole lotions, potions and weird supplements for leaky gut etc.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 5:35 pm

Hey Goldfish,
The thing about your self diagnosis with a nonexistent dental problem is that it suggest you may form faulty self-daignoses and become quite attached to them--and that your methods for determining truth in these situations are not necessarily reliable.

The thing about using the iris as confirmation for your self diagnosis and a measure of how well your treatment is going is that it would be like using the Force and Jedi techniques as a diagnostic tool. It's pure fiction. Not only is it without basis in observational science but it has been PROVEN to be false. Ineffective. Useless. Whatever you are doing when
you look at your eyes, diagnosis or monitoring of medical conditions is not it.

The diet thing is interesting--there may be something there, but you have it so mixed with woo that it's very hard to learn anything from your tale.

For people interested in probiotics, leaky gut and autism, there is this from Caltech:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 141900.htm

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 6:01 pm

Adamantium wrote:
For people interested in probiotics, leaky gut and autism, there is this from Caltech:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 141900.htm

Interesting research.

The human microbiome is barely charted territory (we have traditionally just paid attention to pathogens) and we are just starting to see how the microbes residing there interact with our bodies. Microbiome research is exciting research that could change the way we eat and use medications. It frustrates me to see the woo entanglement because that obscures the actual science.

grahamguitarman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2013, 6:32 pm

bumble wrote:
I am all for a healthy diet and know myself how much a clean diet can make a difference to physical health but I am not a huge fan of all this candida and leaky gut thing going around.

I have greatly improved my physical health using a modified paleo diet and exercise. Even the mood starts to improve when I keep my carb consumption down to lower levels (just not too low with all the weight lifting and cardio I do) but I am still having horrid social problems (whatever their cause), I am still sensitive to noise in crowded places, I still don't like certain types of light, my skin is still sensitive to uncomfortable seams and some labels in clothing etc.

My need for routine has reduced a little bit but I still tend to like to repeat things over and over and over again or do things in the same way (still not keen on change in certain ways) etc.

I do tolerate noise for longer than I used to though as now I am feeling physically better and don't get so many headaches I can put up with it more. It still bothers me though. My tolerance for such things is lower when I am ill, but my sensitivity does not go away when I feel physically well either.

I do think more people should try a clean diet in regards to physical health (I call it a clean diet as I am not strictly paleo..more paleo influenced) and remove some of the chemicals and artificial additives etc they consume but I advise some caution with the whole lotions, potions and weird supplements for leaky gut etc.

This I agree with, Diet can indeed have a huge influence over your mood and general wellbeing - and being in good health helps you to cope better with those things that can't be cured.

I have to eat healthily because I'm allergic to certain additives such as artificial sweeteners. I'm very strict about what I put in my body, and not just food - I would rather be in pain than take a painkiller (unless the pain is extreme like when I had a corneal ulcer and was put on morphine to kill the excruciating pain). My wife is always telling me off for not taking pain killers but I just don't like the idea of taking unnecessary drugs.

When I'm eating an all natural diet, I feel better and function better, because I can cope better, but I don't stop being autistic. I don't stop having difficulties with communication, synasthesia or proprioception, and I can still hear every damn conversation in the room. Being healthy just means I usually have the energy to manage the problems and get on with life

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 6:37 pm

I find it kind of sad how closed minded & negative some of you are. I've offered up what's been helping me tremendously, and it's something any of you can see if it works for you inside of a couple of weeks - yet almost every single one of you chooses continued misery over potential improvements due to your extremely rigid black and white thinking. I find it almost laughable that people would be interested in waiting a couple of years for some researcher or another to conduct a study or two and compile and report and publish the results before they'd be willing to try altering their diet to see if this works for them when, again, with just a bit of open mindedness about the possibility of this working for you and just a couple weeks' time you'd know.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 6:44 pm

More symptoms that have subsided:

OCD tendencies have greatly diminished. The worst of which was picking at my skin/blemishes (as others have started threads about). The OCD need to is pretty much gone, but also my skin has cleared up big time so I no longer have the blemishes I had to begin with.

Tourettes symptoms.. both the tendency to use foul language impulsively as well as facial tics are pretty much gone. I haven't noticed a facial tic in months, and no one else has noticed or commented about any either.

ADHD hyperactivity of excessive talking - gone. I can keep super quiet, wait my turn to speak w/o interrupting etc.

My focus has improved immensely. I can stay on task and just get things done one after the other after the other, project after project. Having much better focus has definitely helped me kick ass at work & in life.

Vocal prosody - my voice may still be a little "Aspie," but I don't notice the prosody characteristics much anymore.. especially not compared to my voicemail greeting that's from a year or two ago when I set it up. when I hear that I'm reminded that I don't notice nearly the same "Aspie prosody," in my voice anymore.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 7:18 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
I find it kind of sad how closed minded & negative some of you are. I've offered up what's been helping me tremendously, and it's something any of you can see if it works for you inside of a couple of weeks - yet almost every single one of you chooses continued misery over potential improvements due to your extremely rigid black and white thinking. I find it almost laughable that people would be interested in waiting a couple of years for some researcher or another to conduct a study or two and compile and report and publish the results before they'd be willing to try altering their diet to see if this works for them when, again, with just a bit of open mindedness about the possibility of this working for you and just a couple weeks' time you'd know.

Several posters (including myself) actually have altered their diets, just not in the exact same way as you. The link between diet and mental states is well established and other posters here report positive mental effects from their diet alterations. However the steps you advocate beyond what many people are doing are pretty elaborate and expensive. Changes take more than a week or two to assess and the investement in time, money, and change to established routine is a lot bigger than you are admitting. You also have not made a compelling case that most people with autism got that way because of a leaky gut caused by yeast overgrowth.

My own diet overlaps with yours in several places. So do the diets of several people who think you have overstepped plausibility. We all made changes for health reasons. But the additional changes you advocate are not easy, cheap or anywhere near as likely to bring fast results as you think, even if you are right about the leaky gut. You are forgetting that your n=1 personal experiment doesn't map neatly onto everybody else.

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2013, 7:21 pm

goldfish21 wrote:

YOUR miraculous cure is exactly that; YOURS.

People have been declaring diet is the cure long before you ever even considered yourself an "aspie" with no real results. Only minor changes that could be equated to anecdotal misguided/misinformed results at best. YOUR "cure" isn't any different from what people have been saying for the last umpteen years. Those same people are still around asking for help in dealing with their kids who have autism and trying the next diet "cure".

At any way you look at it, it's great you found what works for YOU. Congratulations. Now why not work on not getting upset,because people prefer not to follow in YOUR footsteps. It's not your choice to make. You have said your peace so be happy you found YOUR "cure" and move on with life.

That would show that YOUR "cure" actually worked more than demanding we follow you.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 7:45 pm

Janissy wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Several posters (including myself) actually have altered their diets, just not in the exact same way as you. The link between diet and mental states is well established and other posters here report positive mental effects from their diet alterations. However the steps you advocate beyond what many people are doing are pretty elaborate and expensive. Changes take more than a week or two to assess and the investement in time, money, and change to established routine is a lot bigger than you are admitting. You also have not made a compelling case that most people with autism got that way because of a leaky gut caused by yeast overgrowth.

My own diet overlaps with yours in several places. So do the diets of several people who think you have overstepped plausibility. We all made changes for health reasons. But the additional changes you advocate are not easy, cheap or anywhere near as likely to bring fast results as you think, even if you are right about the leaky gut. You are forgetting that your n=1 personal experiment doesn't map neatly onto everybody else.

I experienced significant enough results within the first couple of weeks to know that it was working & worth sticking to.

I've read that 70% of Autistics are salicylate sensitive, that that sensitivity is caused by Leaky Gut, and that most of the time Leaky Gut is caused by candidiasis. As per one of the links I posted & then quoted, there are 3 specific probiotic bacteria most frequently missing in most Autistics' guts.

Even though I have chosen to use almost all possible antifungal herbs/oils/foods etc in my diet rotation, one could choose just 4-5 of them to go nuts with in 4-5 day cycles. Choose the least expensive ones with the best medicinal properties - that would definitely include garlic. Even with using many of them, I guesstimate that my food & vitamin/supplement expenses are approximately $500/month. I haven't kept accurate accounting on these costs as I haven't needed to, and I buy some things on sale in bulk and they last for 2-3 months so I'm just guesstimating at the total cost on a monthly basis. One could do a simpler version by using fewer expensive oils & supplements, it just may take longer or not be quite as effective. Personally, it could cost every penny I make and I'd pay it because this has been that worth while doing.. but it doesn't cost every cent I earn, it costs approximately $500/month - which isn't all that much more expensive than just eating a balanced healthy normal diet in the first place. On the cost:benefit front, I'm working more and earning more because of this, so the let's say $100/mo more than a regular diet this is costing me is far more than offset by the additional earnings I've been making since I can now work harder, faster, and better than I've ever been capable of in my life. So, really, it isn't expensive - it would have cost me far more money in the long run not to do this.

Again, don't take my word for it.. go see a doctor and have a stool sample cultured & tested to determine what, if any, intestinal gut flora imbalances you may have. And again, try it for a couple weeks and you'll know for yourself by your own experiences whether it works for you or not. It really is that simple.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 7:50 pm

kicker wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

People have been declaring diet is the cure long before you ever even considered yourself an "aspie" with no real results. Only minor changes that could be equated to anecdotal misguided/misinformed results at best. YOUR "cure" isn't any different from what people have been saying for the last umpteen years. Those same people are still around asking for help in dealing with their kids who have autism and trying the next diet "cure".

At any way you look at it, it's great you found what works for YOU. Congratulations. Now why not work on not getting upset,because people prefer not to follow in YOUR footsteps. It's not your choice to make. You have said your peace so be happy you found YOUR "cure" and move on with life.

That would show that YOUR "cure" actually worked more than demanding we follow you.

:lol:

Trust me, I am moving forward with my life at an ever accelerating pace. I have some huge goals to achieve, and now that I've done this for my health I have a fighting chance of accomplishing them. I'm currently kicking ass towards those goals every single day. Thanks for your concern; but I'm doing just fine moving forward on my own life.

I just find it quite funny that others who are on this website looking for help treating themselves are so quick to dismiss what has worked for me as impossible to work for them. why bother even being here? Just looking for a pity party? Obviously it's your call, but I'd wAY rather try new things and see if they help vs. go with the same ol' same ol' and get the same ol' misery as a result - but hey, you can be stubborn to your heart's content, it's not going to hinder my happiness any nor my ability to accomplish my goals. I have not demanded that anyone do this, I've merely offered up what's working for me because I know first hand the value of it and want to share it with anyone & everyone who could benefit from it.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 8:46 pm

I was one of the few people who thought goldfish was on the up and up when everyone was attacking him at first, but I genuinely think he's playing with us. He's diagnosing people he's never even discussed symptoms with, curing Autism, OCD, Clumsiness!, etc. and getting all enraged when people don't believe him. Nobody could be that out of it unless he was severely mentally ill. This is a joke and every time you guys argue with him, he probably is laughing himself silly (I fell for it earlier too).

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 2:34 am

wozeree wrote:
I was one of the few people who thought goldfish was on the up and up when everyone was attacking him at first, but I genuinely think he's playing with us. He's diagnosing people he's never even discussed symptoms with, curing Autism, OCD, Clumsiness!, etc. and getting all enraged when people don't believe him. Nobody could be that out of it unless he was severely mentally ill. This is a joke and every time you guys argue with him, he probably is laughing himself silly (I fell for it earlier too).

Playing with you? How so? what in incentive do I have to do that in any way? what a colossal waste of time it would be to type up all of this if I were making it up. Seriously, I have much better things to do with my time than that.

who have I diagnosed with what? Feel free to quote me and provide specifics.

I'm not enraged. :lol: But I am a bit annoyed and slightly frustrated with people on here calling bs on what I'm personally experiencing, especially when they're not willing to try a damned thing even just to prove me wrong.

I'm not out of it. I've been 100% honest and transparent about all of this & am truly functioning higher in every way than at any other point in my entire life. I'm back to work better than ever, making money, getting in shape, am ever happier and healthier etc after having a few horrendously bad lower functioning years where symptoms have completely crippled my life. If you experienced what I am, you'd want to share it with the group here, too - and you'd be excited to do so, and then probably a bit annoyed and slightly frustrated when the people you're trying to help who are afflicted with the same symptoms you are would rather make up reasons to call bs on what you have to teach them than try something new that they haven't tried to treat themselves with before and see if it works for them.

This is not a joke. I'm not laughing. You didn't fall for anything.

Heck, I'm not the only one who's experienced this. See delaSHANE's posts. Are they making up what they've experienced, too? :lol:

If anyone has the balls (ovaries?) to give this a shot and see if it works for you, feel free to pm me with any questions & I'll be happy to reply.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 2:53 am

goldfish21 wrote:
kicker wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

:lol:

Trust me, I am moving forward with my life at an ever accelerating pace. I have some huge goals to achieve, and now that I've done this for my health I have a fighting chance of accomplishing them. I'm currently kicking ass towards those goals every single day. Thanks for your concern; but I'm doing just fine moving forward on my own life.

I just find it quite funny that others who are on this website looking for help treating themselves are so quick to dismiss what has worked for me as impossible to work for them. why bother even being here? Just looking for a pity party? Obviously it's your call, but I'd wAY rather try new things and see if they help vs. go with the same ol' same ol' and get the same ol' misery as a result - but hey, you can be stubborn to your heart's content, it's not going to hinder my happiness any nor my ability to accomplish my goals. I have not demanded that anyone do this, I've merely offered up what's working for me because I know first hand the value of it and want to share it with anyone & everyone who could benefit from it.

Perhaps it's just the people I am exposed to in my life but I tend to have found that being healthy has made me experience yet more social problems. Now people don't want to spend time with me because I don't like to drink alcohol, wont do drugs (and never have) and won't eat piles of junk food like pizza. Also I refuse to spend time with them because they smoke cigarettes and I don't want to inhale their crap (cigarette smoke triggers migraines in me).

Ergo now people think I am poncy, fussy, boring and annoying...more so than usual. So I doubt it's going to cure my social problems one way or another. Sure I have more energy for social chit chat than I used to but that is because physically I cope better with things due to my improved fitness levels. I still find social chit chat hard though...I really do not know what to say to most people most of the time and as much as I do want to spend time with people I keep wanting to go away and do something more interesting, unless the conversation is about a subject I am fascinated by. Then it gets my full attention. I still struggle with things like making small talk and my conversations with people seem to die a death very quickly (fade out).

And another unexpected social side effect...I have too much energy for most people I meet right now. My energy levels have gone up as I no longer feel physically ill. Most people I meet are tired all the time and have no energy for anything. So that causes me problems as well now. Even if my mood is low some days due to my social issues, I still have physical energy to burn up. So I can't even relate to other depressed people in that way (nor with regard to the feeling worthless thing...I mean worthless in what way exactly? Compared to what? Based on what criteria? People never specify, they just throw these terms around without really explaining them clearly) as I don't have the physical symptoms they get (just the mood...feelings of loneliness, hopelessness when it comes to my social life/love life but not necessarily other areas of my life and bursting into tears). Sometimes I wish I was asexual.

And I still doubt it cures autism...autism like symptoms is not the same as actually having an ASD. People can present with Autism like symptoms without an ASD being present as autism like symptoms can probably be caused by a whole host of different things.

It is why I won't commit to self diagnosing...yes I have a lot of the symptoms of Aspergers and a lot of the same difficulties but without formal testing I can't be sure of anything. I have read parts of Tony Attwood's book but I don't get all the symptoms, just some of them. The ones I don't get makes me question whether or not an ASD is present or if I have a mixture of some kind of personality disorder and social anxiety going on with a splash of pms and depression to go with it.

What I do know is my diet has done nowt for my social issues...I still can't tell when someone is flirting with, I still don't know what to say to people even if I do have more energy to chitty chat with them and so on.

I just have lots more energy to cope with life so I can keep myself busy when my lack of a social life is getting me down or hurting/upsetting me.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 3:15 am

The best thing you can do is put your information and evidence out there for people to read and let them make their own minds up. If they don't want to follow your plan exactly then that is up to them.

Personally I have made many changes but some of the changes you recommend are a bit on the complicated side, especially where they clash with my preferred way of doing things :P I am still arguing with my paleo diet on that one as my brain wants to go back to its usual way of doing things...stubborn. My brain is stubborn in some ways.

That's me though...stubborn in general. Have my preferred ways of doing things, don't like to change that...

What other people do though is entirely up to them. They can do as they please as long as it causes no harm and does not interfere with me personally in a negative way (ie their actions are not having a detrimental effect on my health and well being).

Each to their own as I say.