THIS is how I've been treating myself w/ miraculous results.

Page 9 of 13 [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 10:15 pm

Random42 wrote:
Suggestion:

1)List specific examples of your autistic traits prior to getting worse

2)List specific examples of how your traits got worse

3) List specific examples of how you have improved.

Have you read "The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome," by Dr. Tony Attwood? I had nearly EVERY ASD trait listed in that book. Not just a few, but nearly EVERY single one, leaving absolutely no doubt in my mind that I've been on the Autism Spectrum my entire life.

Traits got worse over the last 3-4 years especially. Depression, anxiety, audio sensory overload, executive functions, short term memory, balance/coordination & fine motor skills, mood swings, misinterpreting people, avoiding eye contact, intense special interests etc etc. Things got really really bad to where I haven't been able to work full time consistently for 3-4 years. Symptoms were completely ruining my life & potential to accomplish goals.

Damn near every trait has improved immensely. Some are all but gone now. The first to change dramatically were the sky high anxiety and audio sensory overload. Then everything else, bit by bit, has gotten better and better and better - I'm happier and healthier now than I have ever been in my entire life. I still don't know what the limit is.. but I intend to find out if symptoms go away completely once my gut is healed, or if any still remain. It'll also be interesting to find out what my true physical/mental/career potentials are. So far the improvements have let me get back to work and life and everything continues to get better day by day, week by week. I'm finally on my way to achieving various goals I have in life vs. spinning my wheels in frustration; being able to think & calculate to the nth degree but not do. Now I'm doing & it's going great.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 11:14 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Well, your diet excludes most people's favourite foods entirely. That alone makes it harder to follow than a normal balanced diet.

Short term sacrifice for immeasurable long term life gains. It's well worth not eating anything that fuels the infection in order to experience the clarity of mind & happiness I am now vs. the life of living hell I've been through over the last few years. I really quite like chocolate, alcohol, pizza etc but I can go without them for several months or a year or so - whatever it takes to complete this process. The gains have been very well worth the sacrifice. I don't really miss drinking that much since I was only drinking 2-3 drinks/month anyways over the last few years, but I do really miss having a piece of chocolate and am looking forward to when I can again. But still, it's not very difficult to stay the course if you get the benefits from it that I have.

The_Walrus wrote:
Then, you demand eating certain very specific foods. A balanced diet doesn't demand any particular food. If you don't like drinking milk, then eat more cheese or yoghurt. If you don't like rice, eat bread, or potatoes, or pasta. If you don't like broccoli, eat carrots or peas or spinach or lettuce or cauliflower or corn or peppers. There are a wide variety of tastes and textures amongst vegetables, far wider than solely amongst iron-rich leafy green vegetables. You ask people to filter their water, which is not necessary for healthy living

Because these specific foods are medicinal & will help kill and clear the infection, repair the intestinal lining, and rebalance the gut flora. I never called it a balanced diet. This is not something I intend to do for life, only until I am healed. It's a medicinal diet. So, eat a variety of veggies - just avoid any starchy ones. (no beans/peas/cauliflower/broccoli tops are ok but no stalks etc.) Filtering out chlorine from water is ideal when treating & healing leaky gut because the chlorine kills off healthy probiotic bacteria that we want to repopulate, not die off. Also, chlorine is basic & apparently yeast thrive in a basic environment so drinking neutral ph water, filtered or distilled, is better. On that note, that's a part of why I drink a few ounces of unfiltered unpasteurized organic apple cider vinegar with the mother every day - to increase acidity and kill off yeast, as wall as for the healthy probiotics in it.

The_Walrus wrote:
Finally, a lot of the obscure foods you suggest are not part of most people's usual diets. Most people do not eat Grapefruit Seed Extract, flaxseed, bentonite clay, dandelion, slippery elm, or Sauer Kraut. This makes them harder to find, harder to incorporate into your diet, and more expensive than normal foods.

I've been able to find all of them at local grocery stores & health food/vitamin shops. Spices are easy to come by in large quantities, too. It may be easier for me to obtain all of these things because of where I live - in the suburbs of Vancouver, BC, Canada, where we have large Indian & Chinese populations and thus a lot of options for shops to buy herbs/spices etc. Also, the population here is healthiest in the country, so there are a lot of health shops, vitamin/supplement places, organic grocers, farmers markets/produce stores etc. I didn't have to look very hard at all to find anything I wanted, but I now buy some of them online to save $, and we pick up a most of our groceries South of the border in washington state for the same reason.

The_Walrus wrote:
If "nature's remedies" were "completely safe and effective" then they wouldn't be called "nature's remedies". And if you have a life threatening disease, then not treating it is not safe. Many people die because they have their heads turned by quacks and reject medicine in favour of random crap. Two high-profile examples:
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/11/22 ... infection/
http://steelclaws.wordpress.com/2012/04 ... r-matters/

And how many people does Western Medicine & Big Pharma kill every single day with prescription pharmaceuticals? Any form of medicine could potentially be harmful or lethal, but I'd bet money I don't have that Big Pharma kills many more times the patients than natural medicines used directly from plants that haven't been partially synthesized, patented, and sold in pill form for exorbitant profits.

The_Walrus wrote:
Well, for a start, a lot of people don't think they need to "get better". They just want to be accepted for being the way they are.

I've experienced all the negative parts of Autism and the internal thought processes that go with it & IMO anyone afflicted by it ought to want to get better so they can live a happy life. Sure, there are benefits of it.. heck, if it weren't for my ASD traits I probably wouldn't have graduated from business school when I was 19 years old. There are pros, but overall life is better being healthier.

The_Walrus wrote:
An awful lot of people on here have already been subjected to quack treatments in attempts to "cure" their autism. My mum gave me homoeopathic pills (I remember her freaking out once because she bought the wrong ones :lol: ). Other users here have already given you their stories, and it seems I got off lightly.

This isn't a quack treatment. It's a medicinal diet to kill a physical infection & heal physical problems with the digestive tract. Doing this has all but eliminated my Autism symptoms. So, don't try something some fraud artist hack tells you to do.. but don't discount the possibility that what I'm claiming is true, is in fact true. Find out for yourself vs. calling bs on it is all I'm saying. Heck, have some western medicine tests done (ie having a stool sample cultured and tested for candida yeast strains) if you want irrefutable modern medicine test results to prove things to yourself as a baseline before getting started on any dietary changes etc. Personally, I didn't do that because I was pissed off with my GP for never diagnosing me with such a parasitic infection over the course of my entire life. Also, experiencing the benefits of this protocol has been all the proof I need for myself - the whole "seeing is believing," factor.

This is a medicinal diet/digestive system treatment protocol.. not magic beans.

The_Walrus wrote:
Rather than doing something that won't work, people would rather spend their money on things that can work, like therapy. Alternatively, they would like to be as happy as possible, by eating the food they want to eat- this is probably going to do more good than following a crazy diet, because the positive effects of happiness are well documented.

So, don't do something that won't work - but saying that what I'm doing won't work is ridiculous since I'm telling you my first hand experience is that it does work. Also, why debate this in theory when all you have to do is try the basic diet for 2-3 weeks and you'll find out for yourself first hand whether it's effective or not? It's really not that difficult. 21 days of your life to determine whether I'm full of it OR if your entire life is about to get unimaginably better.

Everyone should want to be as happy as possible, I agree. And I'm telling you I'm happier & healthier than at any other point in my entire life due to this diet/treatments. If eating certain foods is one's main or sole source of happiness then they have some bigger issues that may need to be dealt with, ie eating disorders perhaps. There's a whole lot more in life that makes me happier than the taste of chocolate, sugar, alcohol etc & IMO there ought to be a whole lot in everyone's lives that makes them happier than when they eat certain foods they like. If that's not the case for some people, then they'd likely benefit from assessing themselves and their lives and figuring out what truly does make them happy, and then doing/experiencing those things.

Comfort eating junk food is not likely to make people happier than this "crazy," diet. Sure, I can only base this on my experience, but the very short lived happiness or utils of satisfaction gained by eating tasty sugary foods pale in comparison to the general happiness, positivity, optimism, glass half full, world of opportunities I'm experiencing now that I've been sticking to this for the last half year. Yes, the positive effects of happiness are very well documented. That's why I'm suggesting others try what I've done that's made me the happiest in my entire life.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 11:27 pm

Random thought I had on my drive home from work this evening:

For those of you saying you'd only trust information from an Autism researcher/Neuroscientist etc:

I have no contacts in this field. Nor am I particularly interested in spending my time making any. I'm already experiencing the benefits of this personally, and am sharing what I'm doing so that others may benefit from it.

However, if you personally know someone in this field and you'd like to put them in touch with me whether online or in person, I'll re-tell my story to them and they can go ahead and conduct any research, studies, trials etc they wish to.

And one other thing that may be of particular interest to a doctor researching ASD: I have an identical twin brother who has so far refused to acknowledge his ADHD/ASD traits or treat them in any way. I've been telling him about what I'm doing, but so far he too is reluctant to want to do anything to treat himself. There are others in my family that are less resistant to the idea that I hope follow through with dietary changes, eventually persuading others to do the same so it's not just my word for it kind of thing. Anyways, the interest to researchers may be in the fact that he has both obvious traits of ADHD/ASD as well as physical traits of system candidiasis that has not been treated. A doc who met me, and also my twin brother, would be able to tell both the neurological and physical differences in our health even though he has never gotten quite as bad as I have been over the last few years. In large part, I suspect this is because he has never drank alcohol in his life, never smoked anything, and did not take Dextroamphetamine for 3 years - all of which fuelled the infection in me and made things worse. For him it's just a poor diet & too much caffeine that keep him in the state he's in.. which isn't a terrible one; he's been working at the same job for 8 years and travelling the world. He's certainly been higher functioning than me the last few years, but now I've surpassed him and definitely notice his ADHD/ASD traits when I see him. I might have to con him into meeting some doc/researcher - or not even tell him the person with me is observing him... and I'd be willing to do that in the name of observable scientific evidence of my claims. He won't see this as he has no interest in learning anything about what afflicts him & just tells me to do whatever owrks for me and he'll do whatever he wants. Anyways, I thought I'd put this random thought out there to see if anyone thinks this might be a good idea for proof of my claims, especially if they know a qualified 3rd party observer who's evaluation they'd trust.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 4:01 am

Good suggestion.

While it is fine to ask others for help to finding contacts to bring to you it is expected that a person making a claim provide the proof. Since you now finally seem to understand that your claims alone are not being accepted as proof it is up to you to get that proof. You have said that you have done this "so that others may benefit from it" you get yourself interested in finding the time. Some of the time to get contacts may be produced by stopping arguing with us. Having reputable scientists confirm this will mean worldwide knowledge of this "cure" verses one website thus benefiting a hell of a lot more people (and a hell of a lot more money for you). I would suggest you use your social skills which you should have now that you are "cured" to help make these contacts. It is called doing.

No matter who gets the contacts you will have to be diagnosed as ASD first and as you know from reading Attwood's book and they will have to know you had symptoms at a very young age and these symptoms continued not necessary at the same rate throughout your life until the alleged cure.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Dec 2013, 5:50 am

^

And if, for example, you didn't meet the criteria for autism in early childhood, you could have a weird yeast-causing-autism-symptoms problem that is distinct from most autism.

I've already explained why I think your dietary suggestions won't work for me: regression to the mean, and lack of evidence for your claims. For example, despite 13 trials, there is a lack of evidence supporting the claim that milk thistle helps the liver. Seriously, I cannot emphasise regression and placebo enough.

As for the suggestion of having a researcher compare you and your brother, really this needed to begin before you started your "trial" and continue over at least a year. Whilst you and your brother are genetically the same, you are not the same person, as you readily admit. Lots of things could contribute to the difference between you and him other than your crazy new diet.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 8:45 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Good suggestion.

While it is fine to ask others for help to finding contacts to bring to you it is expected that a person making a claim provide the proof. Since you now finally seem to understand that your claims alone are not being accepted as proof it is up to you to get that proof. You have said that you have done this "so that others may benefit from it" you get yourself interested in finding the time. Some of the time to get contacts may be produced by stopping arguing with us. Having reputable scientists confirm this will mean worldwide knowledge of this "cure" verses one website thus benefiting a hell of a lot more people (and a hell of a lot more money for you). I would suggest you use your social skills which you should have now that you are "cured" to help make these contacts. It is called doing.

No matter who gets the contacts you will have to be diagnosed as ASD first and as you know from reading Attwood's book and they will have to know you had symptoms at a very young age and these symptoms continued not necessary at the same rate throughout your life until the alleged cure.

Like I said, I'm not interested in spending my time proving what I already know - but I'll cooperate with whomever you want me to answer questions to. Also, as stated, it'd take all of a trip to the grocery store and a couple of weeks for anyone in this thread to prove to themselves whether it works for them or not.

what money? I've said many times I don't want money for this. I've shared it freely; you're welcome to it - it's all there.

I'm not so sure someone would diagnose me with Asperger's anymore, so that may be out of the question. My symptoms are now so slight & subtle compared to 6 months ago when there is no chance someone wouldn't have put me on the spectrum.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 8:52 am

The_Walrus wrote:
^

And if, for example, you didn't meet the criteria for autism in early childhood, you could have a weird yeast-causing-autism-symptoms problem that is distinct from most autism.

I've already explained why I think your dietary suggestions won't work for me: regression to the mean, and lack of evidence for your claims. For example, despite 13 trials, there is a lack of evidence supporting the claim that milk thistle helps the liver. Seriously, I cannot emphasise regression and placebo enough.

As for the suggestion of having a researcher compare you and your brother, really this needed to begin before you started your "trial" and continue over at least a year. Whilst you and your brother are genetically the same, you are not the same person, as you readily admit. Lots of things could contribute to the difference between you and him other than your crazy new diet.

I could. OR I may have the most common cause of Autism, considering it's said that 70% of those on the spectrum are sensitive to salicylate acids, which is caused by Leaky Gut, which in turn is usually caused by candidiasis.

You can lookup studies on every herb/food/medication in the world and find examples of where they didn't work for some people. OR you could simply take a trip to a grocery store and try it for a couple weeks and prove to yourself one way or the other if it begins having profound benefits for you or not. It really is that simple.

I didn't set out to do this in order to document a study on myself and my twin brother. I set out to do it out of necessity to get my life back, and it's working. Also, think about it.. my brain was functioning very poorly 6 months ago, I didn't have the executive functions to properly prepare a self study & observations if I wanted to, and there was no time to seek a professional third party scientist/observer to do so as I was in horrendously bad shape and needed to be better ASAP - so, rather than mess about I dove right into treating myself & couldn't possibly be happier with the results thus far.

Like a broken record: You can't possibly know that this won't work for you unless you try it. You CAN find out if you have intestinal candidiasis by seeing a doctor and having a test done for confirmation first. Have a stool sample cultured and tested for which strains of candida afflict you, if any, and there would be your proof before trying the diet out to see if it works or not.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Dec 2013, 11:31 am

goldfish21 wrote:

I could. OR I may have the most common cause of Autism, considering it's said that 70% of those on the spectrum are sensitive to salicylate acids, which is caused by Leaky Gut, which in turn is usually caused by candidiasis.

With respect, a "it's said" claim is utterly useless. Who says it? Where did they say it?

"Leaky gut" is a phantom condition. It has been studied a lot, and found to be non-existent.

From the NHS website:
Quote:
There is little evidence to support this theory, and no evidence that so-called 'treatments' for 'leaky gut syndrome', such as nutritional supplements and a gluten-free diet, have any beneficial effect for most of the conditions they are claimed to help.

While it is true that certain factors can make the bowel more permeable, this probably does not lead to anything more than temporary mild inflammation of an area of the bowel.
Exponents of 'leaky gut syndrome' – largely nutritionists and practitioners of complementary and alternative medicine – believe the bowel lining can become irritated and 'leaky' as the result of a much wider range of factors, including an overgrowth of yeast or bacteria in the bowel, a poor diet and the overuse of antibiotics.

They believe that undigested food particles, bacterial toxins and germs can pass through the 'leaky' gut wall and into the bloodstream, triggering the immune system and causing persistent inflammation throughout the body. This, they say, is linked to a much wider range of health problems and diseases, including:

food allergies
migraine
tiredness and chronic fatigue syndrome
asthma
autoimmune diseases (where the body's immune system attacks its own tissues) such as lupus, multiple sclerosis and rheumatoid arthritis
skin diseases like scleroderma
autism

The above theory is vague and currently largely unproven.
Some websites even promote various nutritional 'treatments' for autism, despite conflicting evidence. A 2006 review explored the potential effect of manipulating the diet of people with autism, concluding that the dietary treatments were "cumbersome" and not proven to be effective.

Generally, eliminating foods from the diet is not a good idea unless it's strictly necessary (for example, if you have coeliac disease), as it can lead to nutritional deficiencies.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 11:32 am

goldfish21 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Good suggestion.

Like I said, I'm not interested in spending my time proving what I already know - but I'll cooperate with whomever you want me to answer questions to. Also, as stated, it'd take all of a trip to the grocery store and a couple of weeks for anyone in this thread to prove to themselves whether it works for them or not.

what money? I've said many times I don't want money for this. I've shared it freely; you're welcome to it - it's all there.

I'm not so sure someone would diagnose me with Asperger's anymore, so that may be out of the question. My symptoms are now so slight & subtle compared to 6 months ago when there is no chance someone wouldn't have put me on the spectrum.

I can give you two names. Simons Foundation Autism Research Initiative. I do not know anybody there but I can give the website

Website for registering and sending proposals
https://proposalcentral.altum.com/

If you have any questions about registration on our site, how to apply for a particular grant, or anything else we can help you with, please contact our customer support hotline at 800 875 2562 (Toll-free U.S. and Canada), +1 703 964 5840 (Direct Dial International) or by email at [email protected].

And there is Autism Speaks

But no matter how you get a contact your proposal must be professional not the rough draft you have.

I do not understand why you would not want money in this economy. There is no such thing as secure employment even for the most extreme neurotypical. It would be money you have earned, payment for services rendered etc.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 12:55 pm

Thanks for all of the great detailed information.

But you've only shown us that this applies to you. A test group of one is not reassuring.

Many of us don't react negatively to gluten. Many of us have been under competent medical care and no undo fungus was found (@ etc., etc.).

It appears though anyone matching your particular condition may find miraculous help.

But your conclusions may only apply to a very tiny percentage of people.

Please come back with competent research for us. I'm still interested and I think most others will be as well. :D

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 1:20 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

With respect, a "it's said" claim is utterly useless. Who says it? Where did they say it?

I looked for the source of this claim. It is repeated pretty much verbatim at numerous websites but it was hard finding one that gave a source. I finally found one website that made a comment about "the research of Dr. Rosemary Waring" and found this about her:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosemary_Waring

Quote:
Rosemary Waring, a reader in human toxicology at the School of Biosciences, University of Birmingham, was the first researcher to produce scientific evidence suggestive of abnormal sulfur metabolism affecting people with autism spectrum disorders. [1] Her findings suggest that people with autism present with consistently lower levels of circulating plasma sulfate and higher than normal levels of urinary sulfate than non-symptomatic controls (reflective of excessive 'dumping' of sulfate into the urine). Follow-up work has suggested that people with autism also present with higher than normal levels of other sulfur-related compounds, including sulfite.

The wiki contains references for research papers she has done. Such as this:

http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10 ... 0050000861

Quote:
Sulphur Metabolism in Autism
2000, Vol. 10, No. 1 , Pages 25-32 (doi:10.1080/13590840050000861)
PDF (138 KB)
PDF Plus (139 KB)
Reprints
Permissions
R. H. Waring and L. V. Klovrza

Purpose: Previous studies in autistic children have shown that they have reduced levels of plasma sulphate as compared with age-matched control children and the aim of this study was to see if this reflected increased urinary sulphate loss. Design: Outpatient-based survey of autistic children and matched controls. Materials and methods: The children in the study were elected on the basis of ICD-10 criteria and a diagnosis of autism. Use of a behavioural questionnaire allowed children with autism to be divided into 3 subsets. Urinary excretion of sulphate, sulphite, thiosulphate and thiocyanate was measured in 232 autistic children and compared with values from 68 age-matched controls. Results: Autistic children excreted higher levels of sulphate, sulphite and thiosulphate, but reduced levels of thiocyanate. Conclusions: The significance of these altered parameters is discussed with respect to catecholamine metabolism, mucin formation, gastrointestinal hormone activation and sulphur anion metabolism.

The abstract shows the origins of the claim. If you go into the link you can download the pdf of the study in full. This is the origin (I think) of the claim that most autistic people are sensitive to salicylates (common in many foods and preservatives). Even if you accept this research, it is a stretch to say that this sensitivity is caused by leaky gut or that leaky gut is usually caused by candidiasis (proponents of leaky gut theory pin it on any number of different things, and in fact theorize that what causes it may be pretty individualized). Leaky gut theory is itself in dispute (as you linked).

Although she's just one researcher and it's just one piece of research (and science is always cumulative), looking into metabolic differences does seem like a worthwhile research direction.

This link from some guy's blog explains the link between sulfur metabolism and salicylate sensitivity (I know a blog isn't research but he's just explaining metabolic pathways in accesable language.)

http://baconwithbutter.wordpress.com/20 ... he-puzzle/

Quote:
Our bodies have many ways of detoxifying–removal of toxins through sweat, urine, or by changing the toxins into something more usable by the body through enzymes (different than the digestive kind). Depending on the kind of toxin, it will travel down one of many different pathways in the body. One such pathway uses sulfur in the form of sulfate and an enzyme (phenol sulfur-transferase or PST) to convert active, toxic substances into something less active. We will call this the PST sulfation pathway.

This particular pathway processes a particular type of chemical know as a phenol. All foods have some level of phenolic compounds. When the PST sulfation pathway is functioning properly, these compounds will be broken down and removed efficiently. But when it’s not functioning well, these compounds cannot be processed as quickly as they are consumed. This creates a cumulative, “snowball” effect: the phenols start backing up in our bodies, causing a variety of negative reactions.

Phenolic compounds include salicylates, artificial food colorings, artificial flavorings, and some preservatives. Foods especially high in salicylates include apples, apricots, berries, cherries, currants, grapes (raisins, wine), peaches (nectarines), plums (prunes), oranges (tangerines, tangelos), currants, tomatoes, cucumbers (pickles), peppers (bell, chilli), almonds, cloves, oil of wintergreen, rose hips, coffee, tea, and aspirin.

Even if salicylate sensitivity can cause autism ( a stretch, I know), the cause could be an inherited defect in a metabolic pathway as he describes rather than sensitization to molecules that cross a temporarily permeable gut lining. Both things seem equally plausible. Even the NHS website you linked does allow that some conditions can make the gut lining temprarily permeable. They just don't think anything would come of that beyond temporary and localized inflammation.

I have experimented with a diet that has some overlaps with goldfish's for rheumatoid arthritis. One theory on that (certainly not my rheumatologist's theory but she's got nothing for me but immunosuppresive drugs) is that leaky gut allowed some food molecules across that then got recognized by the immune system and flagged for attack and that have an unfortunate coincidental molecular resemblance to joint tissue which then also gets attacked. I removed all the noted foods from my diet for several months but it didn't help. It did help to go low carb and grain free. Luckily there were no enemas involved. That would be a dealbreaker for me.

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 1:22 pm

pleasekillme wrote:
I should add, it's not like there's any one item in your regimen that seems generally problematic. It's that you recommend a complete overhaul of diet and general lifestyle which may or may not have taken care of your ASD symptoms. Without clinical trials--meaning sample sizes of bigger than one--nobody is going to make a major dietary change/commitment when it might not work and also might make you sick.

Why is it that the new, untried diet is something to avoid because it might be dangerous while the current diet is considered safe, even though you aren't fully healthy?

Some proper references:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2367001/
benefits of a ketogenic diet in general

In regards to autism specifically:
http://jcn.sagepub.com/content/18/2/113.full.pdf+html

Poor motivation

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 1:35 pm

ZenDen wrote:
Many of us don't react negatively to gluten. Many of us have been under competent medical care and no undo fungus was found (@ etc., etc.).

Find me competent medical care and I'll do a happy dance!

To note, one can have 'silent' celiac disease, where you have no/few symptoms but your intestines will be eroding away nonetheless. Also to note, I would not have in a million years thought I reacted poorly to gluten even if I had followed a gluten free diet on my own, despite being a diagnosed celiac. I would had to have remained gluten free for nearly a year of my own volition and 'hope it'll make me feel better!'. I didn't have any sort of 'Wow, I feel so good!' moments upon being gluten and dairy free after I got my diagnosis. Quite frankly, had I gone about being gluten free without a celiac diagnosis, I'd have cheated here and there most likely, but most importantly I would have been unknowingly ingesting trace amounts of gluten that would be enough to likely keep my immune system in full-swing anyways.

All this is to say that unless you were eating an incredibly strict gluten free diet (with scouring your kitchen and buying new pans etc.) for an extended period of time, you don't know if you react to gluten.

Poor motivation

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Dec 2013, 4:55 pm

cavernio wrote:

I cannot examine the validity of your study because my institution does not have access. However, I offer the review article from my previous post as counter evidence- dietary changes aren't worthwhile for autism.

Janissy- thanks for that. I agree with your analysis of Dr Waring's work. However, I am very sceptical about that blog- looking at it, it seems to make a lot of the same dubious claims as goldfish. For example, she swears by "Epsom salts" as "detox". This is completely neglected by science (for shame!), but doesn't even appear in notable lists of folk remedies, and no credible mechanism for its action has been proposed: http://saveyourself.ca/articles/epsom-salts.php I do not know about the PST sulphation pathway, but based on that blogger's other work, I would not trust them to teach me about science. If you know the science to be accurate then I shall accept your analysis :)

grahamguitarman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Dec 2013, 5:55 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Random thought I had on my drive home from work this evening:

For those of you saying you'd only trust information from an Autism researcher/Neuroscientist etc:

I have no contacts in this field. Nor am I particularly interested in spending my time making any. I'm already experiencing the benefits of this personally, and am sharing what I'm doing so that others may benefit from it.

However, if you personally know someone in this field and you'd like to put them in touch with me whether online or in person, I'll re-tell my story to them and they can go ahead and conduct any research, studies, trials etc they wish to.

And one other thing that may be of particular interest to a doctor researching ASD: I have an identical twin brother who has so far refused to acknowledge his ADHD/ASD traits or treat them in any way. I've been telling him about what I'm doing, but so far he too is reluctant to want to do anything to treat himself. There are others in my family that are less resistant to the idea that I hope follow through with dietary changes, eventually persuading others to do the same so it's not just my word for it kind of thing. Anyways, the interest to researchers may be in the fact that he has both obvious traits of ADHD/ASD as well as physical traits of system candidiasis that has not been treated. A doc who met me, and also my twin brother, would be able to tell both the neurological and physical differences in our health even though he has never gotten quite as bad as I have been over the last few years. In large part, I suspect this is because he has never drank alcohol in his life, never smoked anything, and did not take Dextroamphetamine for 3 years - all of which fuelled the infection in me and made things worse. For him it's just a poor diet & too much caffeine that keep him in the state he's in.. which isn't a terrible one; he's been working at the same job for 8 years and travelling the world. He's certainly been higher functioning than me the last few years, but now I've surpassed him and definitely notice his ADHD/ASD traits when I see him. I might have to con him into meeting some doc/researcher - or not even tell him the person with me is observing him... and I'd be willing to do that in the name of observable scientific evidence of my claims. He won't see this as he has no interest in learning anything about what afflicts him & just tells me to do whatever owrks for me and he'll do whatever he wants. Anyways, I thought I'd put this random thought out there to see if anyone thinks this might be a good idea for proof of my claims, especially if they know a qualified 3rd party observer who's evaluation they'd trust.

You'd even go so far as to deceive your own brother to prove your point? I'd hope any doctor with any degree of professional ethics will probably refuse to even take part in such a deception. You are so obsessed with this 'cure ' of yours you are willing to lie to your own kin! Yet have the nerve to criticise anyone who doesn't feel inclined to subject themselves to your theories?

If I had a yeast infection I'd go to a doctor and have it cured. but I don't believe I do have a yeast infection and I don't believe in the 'leaky gut' theory anyway.

I have Autism. My communication difficulties mean that I sometimes get words wrong, that what I mean is not what comes out.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 10:40 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

"Leaky gut" is a phantom condition. It has been studied a lot, and found to be non-existent.

From the NHS website:
Quote:
There is little evidence to support this theory, and no evidence that so-called 'treatments' for 'leaky gut syndrome', such as nutritional supplements and a gluten-free diet, have any beneficial effect for most of the conditions they are claimed to help.

While it is true that certain factors can make the bowel more permeable, this probably does not lead to anything more than temporary mild inflammation of an area of the bowel.
Exponents of 'leaky gut syndrome' – largely nutritionists and practitioners of complementary and alternative medicine – believe the bowel lining can become irritated and 'leaky' as the result of a much wider range of factors, including an overgrowth of yeast or bacteria in the bowel, a poor diet and the overuse of antibiotics.

They believe that undigested food particles, bacterial toxins and germs can pass through the 'leaky' gut wall and into the bloodstream, triggering the immune system and causing persistent inflammation throughout the body. This, they say, is linked to a much wider range of health problems and diseases, including:

food allergies
migraine
tiredness and chronic fatigue syndrome
asthma
autoimmune diseases (where the body's immune system attacks its own tissues) such as lupus, multiple sclerosis and rheumatoid arthritis
skin diseases like scleroderma
autism

The above theory is vague and currently largely unproven.
Some websites even promote various nutritional 'treatments' for autism, despite conflicting evidence. A 2006 review explored the potential effect of manipulating the diet of people with autism, concluding that the dietary treatments were "cumbersome" and not proven to be effective.

Generally, eliminating foods from the diet is not a good idea unless it's strictly necessary (for example, if you have coeliac disease), as it can lead to nutritional deficiencies.

"It," as in multiple websites & articles I've read (in the links I shared.) + Doctor Keyzer, ND.

Your NHS can say all they wish, I've experienced this myself & know it to be very real.