Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

ritualdrama
Toucan
Toucan

27 Nov 2013, 12:41 am

I live at my parents house. They love TV. I hate TV. Sometimes the TV drives me crazy. I lost my earplugs. My mom comes home from work and she walks from the front door to the kitchen where she immediately turns on the tv. She turns it up so loud and my room is above the kitchen so I can hear everything. It's usually a TV show like Rachel Ray or Ellen Degeneres. Lots of commercials with that fake happy music that's trying to sell you cancer and whatnot. Their room is across from mind and they have a TV in there too. I think there are 7 TVs in the house. There's even one in my room but I refused to have the cable plugged into it. My dad offered/assumed he was going to plug it in to my tv but I declined. Then I worry that he thinks I am ungrateful because I hate TV. I only watch VHS tapes on my tv. I hate daytime TV, it's nothing but idiocy. It pisses me off that people sink to a level and enjoy it. It sucks the most in the mornings.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 12:47 am

I don't care much for TV either, unless it's something I really like.

loosewheel
Raven
Raven

27 Nov 2013, 1:38 am

TV is like sugar and salt in food. Lots of sensation without substance, because that's what appeals to most people. If you're ever short of ear plugs you can try moistening and rolling into a ball some tissue or toilet paper. Not too small and not too wet though, and pack it into you're outer ear canal. I once had to stay for a short time with someone who snored like a Harley Davidson. It kept the noise down a lot. Be careful if you're susceptible to ear infections though.

Packing the TV speakers with wet toilet paper would also work, but your parents may not be to happy about it.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 1:47 am

One time, I had not seen any TV for years, preferring meditation. Then, I went to visit my mother, and she left hers on as she worked in the kitchen. For twenty minutes, I was almost ROTFLOL at how blatant the manipulation in the adverts was. Then, I got used to it again, and it stayed below the conscious level. I've never owned a TV, but I have read Jerry Mander's excellent "Four Reasons for the Elimination of Television." One example is that Inuit kids used to sit around listening to valuable stories about how their elders had survived in tough situations. When the book was written, they were learning about how to cheat in Dallas instead.

Fisplen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 2:42 am

To be honest I don't watch much TV either , I only watch the daytime news and weather in the morning , most of the time I'm watching stuff like Discovery or the History channel , I don't mind watching GOLD ( A UK classic comedy channel ) sometimes as well.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 3:52 am

I've had exactly the same problem. In the past I had some big arguments with my sisters about it. Now I'm temporarily staying with my parents and they don't turn the TV on because I'd be in a bad mood if it's on. I mostly hate its noise. I also hate the ever-changing light that comes off the TV screen. I also find mindlessness, hypocrisy and discrimination etc. that are constantly found on TV.

I hate the radio equally. I've had arguments with my colleagues about it, too. I actually refuse to work in the room where the radio is on. I don't care about being hated by my colleagues. I just need a less noisy environment.

Life would be so much easier if those noisy/annoying things weren't around.

dottsie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Nov 2013, 10:04 am

I actually really like having the tv on. I just get annoyed if I'm in the living room and the tv isn't on-- it's kinda like background noise to drown out silence. I hate silence, it makes me notice every single little thing and get I get paranoid about something bad happening, even if it's highly unlikely.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 10:13 am

One of the issues, causing me to avoid my fathers presence and being more weird around him, was his sh***y habbit of turning the TV on, the moment he came home. Having no TVs anywhere, was one of the greatest acchievement, when I got into border school. I suddenly felt so much "clearer" and did as well not always live all day with the fear of the evening = my dad coming home, turning on the sh***y TV.

My partner had that habbit as well, turning on the TV the moment he is at home, but because of my problems with the needless noise, he started to care watching TV on purpose, so out of interest for a certain series, then simply watch it out of boredom. He feels himselve, how much that enhanced his freetime quality. Instead of numbing down the boreness, its about seeking something that entertains you. :)

IntellectualCat
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Nov 2013, 10:17 am

At one person's house, there are two TVs on at one time. I hate it because it gives me sensory overload and it distracts me when I would rather do something else. Oh, and I agree that ads do have blatant manipulation in them.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 10:19 am

Why don't you move out? I didn't really mean that to you, it's just the same thing I get said to me here whenever I say anything that upsets me at home.

But, anyway, seriously, I know how you feel and how frustrating it is. I hate it when Coronation Street or Eastenders comes on and my mum turns up the volume where it's louder than it should be. And usually on these TV Soaps there always seems to be a baby continuously crying on a recording thing. I feel like saying, ''ohh, turn that down - I have enough of babies crying when I'm out, I don't want to hear it here at home as well!''

Sometimes my brother has his TV really loud in his bedroom, which is above the living-room, and we can sometimes hear it murmuring really loud. One time my dad even got up and said, ''God, I can hear his TV over this TV!'' And he went up to ask my brother to turn his TV down. There is no need for a TV to be on that loud unless you are incredibly deaf, which no-one is in my house.

I don't watch much TV, and so in my room I only have a TV to watch DVDs on. I don't have my TV on loud, and I always put the subtitles on. I find it hard to watch a film without the subtitles.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 10:33 am

Has anybody tried good quality noise-cancelling earphones? I sometimes use music I know and can ignore to mask the sounds of cows in distress at the local auction yard.

gertie1999
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Nov 2013, 10:38 am

I sometimes can't stand the sound of the TV. Especially if its up way to loud. Unless its something I really like as well.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 12:51 pm

My TV remains off unless and until there is some program that relates to one of my interests.

tonyland
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Nov 2013, 12:58 pm

ritualdrama wrote:
I live at my parents house. They love TV. I hate TV. Sometimes the TV drives me crazy. I lost my earplugs. My mom comes home from work and she walks from the front door to the kitchen where she immediately turns on the tv. She turns it up so loud and my room is above the kitchen so I can hear everything. It's usually a TV show like Rachel Ray or Ellen Degeneres. Lots of commercials with that fake happy music that's trying to sell you cancer and whatnot. Their room is across from mind and they have a TV in there too. I think there are 7 TVs in the house. There's even one in my room but I refused to have the cable plugged into it. My dad offered/assumed he was going to plug it in to my tv but I declined. Then I worry that he thinks I am ungrateful because I hate TV. I only watch VHS tapes on my tv. I hate daytime TV, it's nothing but idiocy. It pisses me off that people sink to a level and enjoy it. It sucks the most in the mornings.

I have a similar issue. My wifes Step-Father-In-Law watches football (soccer). He wathces very little else. I personally can't think of anything more boring than watching 22 over paid pretty boys running around a fied for 90 minutes. The thing is, the volume. He turns it up to a level were you would think you were stood in the stadium. You can't here your self think, let alone what anyone else is saying. He also insists on jumping up cheering / swearing at the top of his voice. We endure this for around three hours - he has to watch the pregame banter and the post game analysis at a similar volume. Then we have dinner and leave. I always have to take pain killers with me, just to address the headache.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 2:21 pm

I live with my mom, and she has the TV going pretty much constantly. It normally doesn't bother me unless it's turned up loud, I'm trying to focus on something, or I'm trying to sleep, in which case it can be very distracting.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 2:26 pm

I pretty much only look at The Big Bang Theory and the Seahawks games.