autistic 19 year old charged with murdering his mother

Page 1 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Annmaria
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 11:38 am

Just wondering what could make an gentle young man reportedly use a hatchet to violently attack his mother. He and his mother were in separable and according to people that would know him he was a quite kind gentle person. His mother was chairperson of a support group that I was a member of she had/was doing huge campaigning on behalf of the autistic community in my county. I had spoken on the phone and use Facebook to contact her she was always so helpful. I know that services weren't available to her son and she was advocating for him.

We watch in fear for this young man he has already been placed in a prison that is due to close down because it is total inadequate it houses inmates between 16yrs-21yrs no facilities to meet Patrick needs.

here is a link https://www.google.ie/search?q=patrick+ ... d=0CDgQqAI

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 11:50 am

Now waiting for members here to blame the victim. "I wonder what the mother did to make her son attack her?" :roll: Yeah I have seen the double standard here. But I also wonder why he did it only because I am curious and I think that about all killers when they kill their parents or children or other people.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Annmaria
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 12:03 pm

His mother was found in her bedroom with head wounds they lived in a bungalow. The members of her autism group some who would know her very well are blaming the lack of services. Although she did lots of work for autism her personal life was very private until now.

We live in a very small town but it does look like that many of the community are trying to ensure that he is legally looked after he has been remained on bail until next week. One week in the prison he is gone to will be enough to cause him serious distress. He did not speak in court his level of communication is Intermediate- he can talk, but is rather reclusive and keeps to himself, . he is very cautious of opening up, and holds back - quite, calm and evasive demeanour - evading eye contact, likes to play games on mobile and such, he loved animals ..especially horses ...Sue his mother battled to get funding for a placement for him when he left school... he needed an outlet for his energy and frustration.

Last edited by Annmaria on 30 Nov 2013, 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 12:09 pm

Annmaria wrote:
Just wondering what could make an gentle young man reportedly use a hatchet to violently attack his mother.

Uncontrolled negative emotions.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 12:10 pm

I have read the articles and none of them said why it happened. They probably don't know either or are not ready to release that information. It sounded like both mother and son got along and things were fine between them and no struggles.

Annmaria
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 12:19 pm

His legal team will apply for bail next week, when the trial happens they will reveal why and what evidence. The process could take a long time I was just wondering why interested in others opinions.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 1:26 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Now waiting for members here to blame the victim. "I wonder what the mother did to make her son attack her?" :roll: Yeah I have seen the double standard here. But I also wonder why he did it only because I am curious and I think that about all killers when they kill their parents or children or other people.

Good for you. All this story proves is that aspies are as human as any other group, meaning we are individuals who can do bad things as well as good. The fact that most of us will never commit a serious crime should be proof enough.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 1:39 pm

I've been monitoring this story, among others, and I would just like to note that while this year, two autistic people have become murderers, about a dozen have been murdered.

Right now, I'm gathering information on Dameian "Luke" Gulley, age 14, whose body was found dumped in a park. His stepfather is the primary suspect. Luke was an autistic teen who liked to shoot hoops with his neighbors.

People find it comforting to blame murder on a mental condition. It's a way of saying, "I could never do anything like that. That person was crazy; that's why they did it. Sane people aren't capable of murder." It's a way of denying the reality that we are all capable of going very far wrong and killing someone.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 1:51 pm

Something like this happened in my hometown when I was a teen. The teen murdered both parents and several siblings. It was (and still) is very shocking because the family wasn't dysfunctional.

I'm not certain we will ever understand it well.

I think the drive to understand (or, alternatively, for those who blame the victim) is so that we can feel safe again. Events like this shake is up because they are unpredictable. If we understand and can predict it, then we will know if we are safe or not. On that note, the book, "The Gift of Fear" may be valuable.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 2:06 pm

screen_name wrote:
Something like this happened in my hometown when I was a teen. The teen murdered both parents and several siblings. It was (and still) is very shocking because the family wasn't dysfunctional.

I'm not certain we will ever understand it well.

I think the drive to understand (or, alternatively, for those who blame the victim) is so that we can feel safe again. Events like this shake is up because they are unpredictable. If we understand and can predict it, then we will know if we are safe or not. On that note, the book, "The Gift of Fear" may be valuable.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

How do you know they were not? Nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors of other people's homes.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 3:12 pm

I don't know.

Perhaps I should have said, the family seemed ordinary.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 3:23 pm

These stories always seem to hit close to home.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 4:28 pm

Just remember, guys. If a left handed person kills someone, not all left handed people should be viewed with fear or suspicion.

Plenty of NTs have done things like murdering family members, been involved in school shootings, etc.

We don't seen people saying "You can't trust people who don't have autism! They're all a bunch of dangerous weirdos!"

There's no direct connection between left handedness, autism, or wearing glasses, and being a murderer.

Sure, maybe the kid did it, and maybe it was due to pent up negative emotions, but the same can be said when NTs do the very same type of thing.

Just remember that, and keep this ready if you ever end up having to defend those on the spectrum when some know-nothing starts flapping their lips.

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 4:56 pm

I remember hearing about a first school shooting in March 1998 and it was the one in Arkansas and my mom was shocked and so was I and I wondered why did two kids do it. Then not too long later, I see on the news a 15 year old killed his parents and I was also shocked and wondered why did he do that. Not once did I think "what did the parents do that made him kill them?" or "what did all the kids at school do to make those two boys shoot kids at their school." I remember in 1995 when I heard about a ten year old boy shooting his five year old sister I asked my mom why did he kill her and she said he was jealous and now his parents don't want him anymore. I was also shocked a brother could kill his sister. Not once did I think "I wonder what the sister was doing that made her get killed by her brother."

When an aspie teen killed her father, that was also posted here and guess what, I saw some members here blaming the father saying if there was any abuse going on or if she was being abused or not. People have done the same about when a woman would kill her boyfriend or husband, "was she being abused?" but yet when a guy does it, no one thinks if he was being abused by his girlfriend or wife. I remember when an eight year old boy killed his grandfather, people were saying if the kid was being abused or not. I was wondering why he did it, same as for the aspie teen. Why did she kill her father? Not if they were being abused or not or if what the parents were doing wrong to cause them to get murdered.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 5:10 pm

Killing someone who's been abusing you is still murder, but it does count as mitigating circumstances during sentencing.

When someone kills a family member, abuse is often involved--but the killer is usually the abuser, not the victim.

For comparison, here's the story of Luke Gulley, age 14, probably killed by his stepfather:
Luke Gulley Memorial

Police had been called twice to the house for "domestic disturbances" between Luke and his stepfather... The most likely situation is that Luke's stepfather was abusive, and eventually killed him.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

30 Nov 2013, 5:17 pm

League_Girl wrote:
When an aspie teen killed her father, that was also posted here and guess what, I saw some members here blaming the father saying if there was any abuse going on or if she was being abused or not. People have done the same about when a woman would kill her boyfriend or husband, "was she being abused?" but yet when a guy does it, no one thinks if he was being abused by his girlfriend or wife. I remember when an eight year old boy killed his grandfather, people were saying if the kid was being abused or not. I was wondering why he did it, same as for the aspie teen. Why did she kill her father? Not if they were being abused or not or if what the parents were doing wrong to cause them to get murdered.

This is because most often, when a man kills his wife or girlfriend, it is part of a pattern of abuse and violence that culminated in murder. Most often, when a woman kills her husband or boyfriend, it is often a response to a pattern of abuse and violence. Further, women who kill men in self-defense tend to get harsher sentences (like three times as long) as men who kill their wives.

And as for why someone might ask if a child who killed a parent is abused, that is again statistically supported: The most common reason for children (usually teenagers) to kill their parents is because of abuse.