Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CivilSam
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2013
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 168
Location: Maine

09 Jan 2014, 7:22 pm

Hey, I have a question regarding if I have Aspergers or Autism? When I first started the testing for my diagnosis my Psychologist told me she believes I have Aspergers. Now, she did explain that they got rid of Aspergers for a medical diagnosis and Autism Spectrum Disorder falls under the 299.00 DX category along with a few other childhood disorders. So anyways, fast forward to when I get my official diagnosis. In this they put me down as meeting all the criteria in the autism spectrum disorder assessment A 1, 2, and 3 and B 1, 2, 3, and 4. They also told me I scored a 27 on the SCQ and from, "http://www.csus.edu/indiv/b/brocks/Workshops/NASP/Autism.pdf" it states that 24.2 is the requirement for Autism. In my diagnosis paperwork it states 15 is the cut of for Autism Spectrum Disorder. Does this mean I have Autism because I thought I had Aspergers? I am now confused. Does anyone else have a SCQ score around 27 and what were you diagnosed with before the change?



Norny
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2013
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,487

09 Jan 2014, 7:39 pm

By stating 'getting rid of Asperger's' I'm guessing that she was referring to the DSM V. When the fifth edition of the DSM was put into practice/fruition last year it incorporated Asperger's, PDD-NOS and other pervasive development disorders into a single diagnosis of 'Autism Spectrum Disorder'. This means that any diagnosis of Autism, Asperger's, PDD-NOS etc completed using the DSM criteria will be a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder.

To put it simply, if you were told that you had Asperger's nothing has changed other than the term used to describe your set of traits: 'Asperger's' is now 'Autism Spectrum Disorder' under the DSM V.

Asperger's and PDD-NOS have long been considered to be separate and distinct from Autism (and by many they still are) but many professionals argued that there were no notable differences between those disorders and Autism, rather they were just variations of the same disorder.



CivilSam
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2013
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 168
Location: Maine

09 Jan 2014, 7:48 pm

Norny wrote:
By stating 'getting rid of Asperger's' I'm guessing that she was referring to the DSM V. When the fifth edition of the DSM was put into practice/fruition last year it incorporated Asperger's, PDD-NOS and other pervasive development disorders into a single diagnosis of 'Autism Spectrum Disorder'. This means that any diagnosis of Autism, Asperger's, PDD-NOS etc completed using the DSM criteria will be a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder. To put it simply, if you were told that you had Asperger's nothing has changed other than the term used to describe your set of traits.

Asperger's and PDD-NOS have long been considered to be separate and distinct from Autism (and by many they still are) but many professionals argued that there were no notable differences between those disorders and Autism, rather they were just variations of the same disorder.


Thanks for that information. The issue is still my employer wants to put it as Aspergers but my diagnosis paperwork doesn't mention it at all. It only says Autism Spectrum Disorder. This might sound weird but I work for the federal gov (hence forum name) and they categorize and file everything. I wanted to document my issue so that if anything ever arises from it I'm safe. So, the issue is that I'm telling them one thing (Aspergers) and my paperwork is showing something different.



Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Sep 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,513
Location: Positive-minded

09 Jan 2014, 7:53 pm

Asperger's is a form of Autism. I was officially diagnosed with Asperger's...but I had highly atypical language development, so I could have been diagnosed with autistic disorder first.


_________________
God-dependent, curious and self-studying Japanese


Last edited by Lumi on 09 Jan 2014, 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CivilSam
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2013
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 168
Location: Maine

09 Jan 2014, 7:53 pm

Also, did they completely remove the 299.8 dx?



Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Sep 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,513
Location: Positive-minded

09 Jan 2014, 7:56 pm

double post



Last edited by Lumi on 09 Jan 2014, 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Sep 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,513
Location: Positive-minded

09 Jan 2014, 7:56 pm

299.80 yes


_________________
God-dependent, curious and self-studying Japanese


Last edited by Lumi on 09 Jan 2014, 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jcq126
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 20 Apr 2011
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 184

09 Jan 2014, 7:59 pm

I was diagnosed after the DMS V came out and was labelled Autism Spectrum Disorder. Also it is laughable for a professional to think Asperger's, PDD-NOS and Autism are the same thing. They are related in the sense they are spectrum disorders, and I don't completely reject the naming of Autism Spectrum Disorder over the former names, but for anyone to say Autism is the same as Asperger's is ridiculous.



Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Nov 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,077
Location: computer or tablet

09 Jan 2014, 8:00 pm

CivilSam wrote:
Hey, I have a question regarding if I have Aspergers or Autism? When I first started the testing for my diagnosis my Psychologist told me she believes I have Aspergers. Now, she did explain that they got rid of Aspergers for a medical diagnosis and Autism Spectrum Disorder falls under the 299.00 DX category along with a few other childhood disorders. So anyways, fast forward to when I get my official diagnosis. In this they put me down as meeting all the criteria in the autism spectrum disorder assessment A 1, 2, and 3 and B 1, 2, 3, and 4. They also told me I scored a 27 on the SCQ and from, "http://www.csus.edu/indiv/b/brocks/Workshops/NASP/Autism.pdf" it states that 24.2 is the requirement for Autism. In my diagnosis paperwork it states 15 is the cut of for Autism Spectrum Disorder. Does this mean I have Autism because I thought I had Aspergers? I am now confused. Does anyone else have a SCQ score around 27 and what were you diagnosed with before the change?


If they have to check a box or something, I'm surprised both options would still be on current paperwork, but since you were originally diagnosed as having the Asperger's form of autism, and people who need to know do know what that is, letting them check "Asperger's" should be all right. Any later reviews should take into account what Asperger's is now called, and what the professionals who see you now call it.

On the other hand, if they can put whatever they like in, I'd suggest they say "Asperger's Syndrome (Autism Spectrum Disorder)", the whole thing in the quotes.

Even back when "Asperger's" was a more "acceptable" term in the medical community, the simple fact of the matter is that Asperger's was and was viewed as a form of autism.


_________________
AQ 31
Your Aspie score: 100 of 200 / Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 101 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".


Last edited by Sethno on 09 Jan 2014, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Mar 2008
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,647

09 Jan 2014, 8:02 pm

Norny wrote:
To put it simply, if you were told that you had Asperger's nothing has changed other than the term used to describe your set of traits: 'Asperger's' is now 'Autism Spectrum Disorder' under the DSM V.


^^
Yup. Asperger Syndrome and High Functioning Autism have always been essentially the same thing. The only difference was, kids with HFA were identified as having a "significant" speech delay in early childhood and kids with AS did not. So by the time you're in first grade, the conditions are literally indistinguishable, that's why they decided to drop the term Asperger Syndrome from the DSM, as it was redundant anyway.

It has not been dropped from the Diagnostic Manual used by the World Health Organization, however, so the change in the DSM-V only applies to those diagnosed in the US. Plus, a lot of Mental Health Professionals are extremely dissatisfied with the new DSM changes for several reasons, so who knows whether any or all of those changes will stand.



CivilSam
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2013
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 168
Location: Maine

09 Jan 2014, 8:03 pm

Ok, I found it. Here is the current DX for the 299 disorders. Keep in mind I am a biller but this is not my speciality (My specialty is inpatient) so I could be wrong. All of this is pulled from the 2013 ICD-9-CM DX listings.
2013 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Code 299.0
Childhood autism
Infantile psychosis
Kanner's syndrome

2013 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis Code 299.8
Asperger's disorder
Atypical childhood psychosis
Borderline psychosis of childhood

2014, yet to be released.

Diagnosed with 299.00 in 2013
Still, I could be wrong. That is possible.



CivilSam
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2013
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 168
Location: Maine

09 Jan 2014, 8:07 pm

Willard wrote:
Norny wrote:
To put it simply, if you were told that you had Asperger's nothing has changed other than the term used to describe your set of traits: 'Asperger's' is now 'Autism Spectrum Disorder' under the DSM V.


^^
Yup. Asperger Syndrome and High Functioning Autism have always been essentially the same thing. The only difference was, kids with HFA were identified as having a "significant" speech delay in early childhood and kids with AS did not. So by the time you're in first grade, the conditions are literally indistinguishable, that's why they decided to drop the term Asperger Syndrome from the DSM, as it was redundant anyway.

It has not been dropped from the Diagnostic Manual used by the World Health Organization, however, so the change in the DSM-V only applies to those diagnosed in the US. Plus, a lot of Mental Health Professionals are extremely dissatisfied with the new DSM changes for several reasons, so who knows whether any or all of those changes will stand.


Ohhhh, ok as a child I did have a lot of speech therapy and speech problems. Like I said in the start before I was officially diagnosed they threw around Aspergers but as the testing progressed they started only saying Autism and Autism Spectrum Disorder. Honestly, I'll just ask when I see them next week I guess.



Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Nov 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,077
Location: computer or tablet

09 Jan 2014, 9:43 pm

CivilSam wrote:
Willard wrote:
Norny wrote:
To put it simply, if you were told that you had Asperger's nothing has changed other than the term used to describe your set of traits: 'Asperger's' is now 'Autism Spectrum Disorder' under the DSM V.


^^
Yup. Asperger Syndrome and High Functioning Autism have always been essentially the same thing. The only difference was, kids with HFA were identified as having a "significant" speech delay in early childhood and kids with AS did not. So by the time you're in first grade, the conditions are literally indistinguishable, that's why they decided to drop the term Asperger Syndrome from the DSM, as it was redundant anyway.

It has not been dropped from the Diagnostic Manual used by the World Health Organization, however, so the change in the DSM-V only applies to those diagnosed in the US. Plus, a lot of Mental Health Professionals are extremely dissatisfied with the new DSM changes for several reasons, so who knows whether any or all of those changes will stand.


Ohhhh, ok as a child I did have a lot of speech therapy and speech problems. Like I said in the start before I was officially diagnosed they threw around Aspergers but as the testing progressed they started only saying Autism and Autism Spectrum Disorder. Honestly, I'll just ask when I see them next week I guess.



Yeah, if you had speech problems, that starts taking it out of the "Asperger's" catagory, and getting more into classic autism. Still, if they originally said Asperger's, if that's still on record as the official diagnosis...

You're right to talk to "them" (your psychologist/psychiatrist?) first, if you have time before your employer HAS TO submit something official.

As mentioned, tho', Asperger's was viewed as a form of autism, and now you're just lumped in with all autistics, with no special sub-catagory.


_________________
AQ 31
Your Aspie score: 100 of 200 / Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 101 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".


CivilSam
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2013
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 168
Location: Maine

09 Jan 2014, 10:02 pm

Quote:
Yeah, if you had speech problems, that starts taking it out of the "Asperger's" catagory, and getting more into classic autism. Still, if they originally said Asperger's, if that's still on record as the official diagnosis...

You're right to talk to "them" (your psychologist/psychiatrist?) first, if you have time before your employer HAS TO submit something official.

As mentioned, tho', Asperger's was viewed as a form of autism, and now you're just lumped in with all autistics, with no special sub-catagory.


my official diagnosis is 299.9 Autism Spectrum Disorder. Aspergers was just thrown around lets say during the first month of testing and then at the end it was never spoken of again. instead they said autism.
I still have time. I meet with my psychologist and a psychiatrist (talking about meds) next week. They didn't let me submit the paperwork because I kept telling them Asperger's and my paperwork from my Psycologist said Autism Spectrum Disorder. Granted, I work for the government so the initial conversation went, "You have Aspergers? But you are so nice... Then I told them I had a SF - 256 and HR asked me what a 256 is... Yup (256 being a declaration of disability.) You would think they would know that.



CivilSam
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2013
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 168
Location: Maine

09 Jan 2014, 10:13 pm

Also, on another note did you know Cancer and HIV / AID are both legal forms of disability? I did not know that until today and I had a lot of trouble wrapping my head around it.



EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,828
Location: Twin Peaks

09 Jan 2014, 10:25 pm

I find the whole thing confusing too.
But I think I get the idea better now.
I started out nonverbal moderate autism
and now I am verbal moderate to hfa autism.
I guess.