do you look different than your peers

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 2:39 am

Autism doesnt have a Physical characteristic but i have found that most autistics i know including myself have "racoon eyes' or just darker under the eyes, my dad, says he sees other kids with aspergers and autism and says i 'look' like them. you think its all in our heads?

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Rabbers
Toucan
Toucan

10 Nov 2013, 6:14 am

My son has the 'raccoon eyes' but I always assumed it was due to disturbed sleep. I have noticed that little kids with asd tend to be super cute looking - really noticeably so. And friends who have girls I notice that they look different in that they don't tend to go with all the eyebrow plucking/make up wearing, following fashion silliness (in my opinion!) that NT girls usually do. But they are mostly environmental things rather than actually looking different.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 10:15 am

Yes, it is all in our heads. The only physical characteristic in Autistics that I know of is maybe from facial expressions, hairstyles, posture, etc. (Not saying we're all like it). I probably wouldn't stand out from a crowd. I've met some NTs that have quite unique facial characteristics, but they weren't foreign or half-cast or deformed or had any other condition, it was just how they looked.

Jeez!

EMTkid
Toucan
Toucan

10 Nov 2013, 11:06 am

I've never noticed but that's not saying its not true. I probably wouldn't notice until it had been pointed out to me at least 5 times...

andrewlavigne
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Nov 2013, 12:10 pm

There's a study out there about this actually. I forget the authors or the year or anything like that, but I know there's a thread about it on WP somewhere. There are traits that are more common in autistic people than in others, things like wayward whorls of hair and a particular type of ear. It's interesting, but obviously none of these traits is shared by all so as to be a definitive signature or anything.

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 12:22 pm

My mom told me once I has dark circles around my eyes as a little kid and that was why my doctor decided to remove all artificial sweeteners and flavors from my diet. Apparently it really helped with my behavior.
I can eat whatever I want know with no ill effect but I have noticed I have dark under eyes, I thought it was because I don't get a lot of sleep.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 3:04 pm

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
Autism doesnt have a Physical characteristic but i have found that most autistics i know including myself have "racoon eyes' or just darker under the eyes, my dad, says he sees other kids with aspergers and autism and says i 'look' like them. you think its all in our heads?

There is a medical explanation for this. It's caused by salicylate acid sensitivity & I've read that 70% of autistics are sensitive to salicylate acids.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 9:51 pm

I have a little hyperpigmentation under the eyes but never knew it could be related to AS. I did not have it as a kid so I thought it was more toxins in the liver. I will see if that changes after some detoxing. I do look younger than people my age though and I hear that that is very common with people on the Spectrum.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 9:52 pm

goldfish21 wrote:

There is a medical explanation for this. It's caused by salicylate acid sensitivity & I've read that 70% of autistics are sensitive to salicylate acids.
I never knew this. I will look into it further. This is very interesting. I did use some acne stuff on my face when I was in my 20s I think and that may have been when the hyperpigmentation started. That could be a link perhaps.

Wreck It Ralph

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 10:05 pm

skibum wrote:
I do look younger than people my age though and I hear that that is very common with people on the Spectrum.

Might be, I get told I look like a teenager though I am 31.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 10:33 pm

As a child until about 40 years old, I had HUGE circles under my eyes, some people thought I had black eyes. I used to go through a tube of cover girl concealer every couple of weeks.

matt
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 12:13 am

Halfmadgenius wrote:
skibum wrote:
I do look younger than people my age though and I hear that that is very common with people on the Spectrum.

Might be, I get told I look like a teenager though I am 31.
Yes, people often guess my age as about 22 or 23, but I'm close to the same age as you.

matt
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 12:17 am

I do look distinctive, but I think it has more to do with my behavior than physical characteristics, and the fact that my facial expressions and vocal intonation are very muted compared to everyone else. I have to exaggerate them a lot to seem like everyone else, and I generally don't. But I've seen video and heard audio of myself, and I am noticeably different than the other people in the recordings.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 1:04 am

I think I look like a more anxious version of a typical girl my age. I wear makeup and care about fashion. I enjoy putting outfits together and it's an easy way to make people treat me better.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 1:09 am

I was thrilled last summer when I was talking to this college student and she thought I was a young twenty something! That is really exciting since I am in my 40's! :D I act, think and speak a lot younger than my physical age a lot too so people very rarely think I am the actual age that I am.

Wreck It Ralph

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 1:10 am

I heard we often have larger heads then most, also along time ago I once head something to the effect that we often have a certian curviture to the tips of some of our fingers. Nothing out of propertion though.