why do some people consider low functioning inferior ?

Page 2 of 18 [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 6:03 pm

jenisautistic wrote:
um Isnt thinking like that hypocritical. Your implying that what orginizations like autism speaks are not only correct but encouraging them by saying oh we don't want associated with those retaded kids who who have no thought in their brain no feelings, and don't have anything more functional to do then flap their hands spin around and bang their head against the wall. which isn't even accurate in the first place.

Its good to know where I and the other kids in my program stand around here :cry: where's the autism speaks doesn't speak for autistics now?

I don't know what Autism Speaks says, but this is not my view. I was trying to describe how some other people think of low-functioning autism.

grahamguitarman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Dec 2013, 6:08 pm

starkid wrote:
jenisautistic wrote:
um Isnt thinking like that hypocritical. Your implying that what orginizations like autism speaks are not only correct but encouraging them by saying oh we don't want associated with those retaded kids who who have no thought in their brain no feelings, and don't have anything more functional to do then flap their hands spin around and bang their head against the wall. which isn't even accurate in the first place.

Its good to know where I and the other kids in my program stand around here :cry: where's the autism speaks doesn't speak for autistics now?

I don't know what Autism Speaks says, but this is not my view. I was trying to describe how some other people think of low-functioning autism.

That's what I thought you meant - after your second post that is (you were a bit ambiguous in your first posting).

I have Autism. My communication difficulties mean that I sometimes get words wrong, that what I mean is not what comes out.

Oren
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 6:18 pm

jenisautistic wrote:
starkid wrote:
grahamguitarman wrote:
starkid wrote:

Because "low functioning" and even the word "autism" are

1)associated with symptoms that are considered negative, and/or
2)associated with symptoms that do not apply to "high functioning"/Asperger's Syndrome

Actually the symptoms of autism are no different to the symptoms of Aspergers - they just differ in severity (and even then not always) so the 'do not apply' argument is invalid here.

Well, there is the IQ requirement. But I meant symptoms that are thought to be mainly associated with low-functioning autism and often are often well-managed or totally absent from people with Asperger's syndrome. So that people with asperger's syndrome wouldn't want to be mistaken for the screaming, self-injuring mental ret*d image that people have of autism.

What is your program?

It doesn't seem to be helping you much with your self esteem.

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 6:19 pm

starkid wrote:
jenisautistic wrote:

oh oops: sorry about that . although that is what I would say to people who use this argument against us I did not mean to direct it at you personally .

Last edited by jenisautistic on 06 Dec 2013, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 6:27 pm

Oren wrote:
jenisautistic wrote:
starkid wrote:
grahamguitarman wrote:
starkid wrote:

Because "low functioning" and even the word "autism" are

1)associated with symptoms that are considered negative, and/or
2)associated with symptoms that do not apply to "high functioning"/Asperger's Syndrome

Actually the symptoms of autism are no different to the symptoms of Aspergers - they just differ in severity (and even then not always) so the 'do not apply' argument is invalid here.

Well, there is the IQ requirement. But I meant symptoms that are thought to be mainly associated with low-functioning autism and often are often well-managed or totally absent from people with Asperger's syndrome. So that people with asperger's syndrome wouldn't want to be mistaken for the screaming, self-injuring mental ret*d image that people have of autism.

What is your program?

well its a recreational program and camp for kids with developmental disability's a few are mild but the majority are moderate- borderline severe and some are also non verbal .

my old camp was made up of esstilly one group almost all moderately physically disabled nts with cp or spina bifida who more times then not intimidated me.

another group of kids ( yonger girls) who were either essentially nts that nice/ ok or kids that were very similar to me similar to my level functionally and emotionally but were too young.

Quote:

yeah that had been completely destroyed by my peers and in a way my family years ago .. I never had a chance.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 1:18 am

jenisautistic wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
I think I knew who KOZ was. She had two low functioning autistic brothers and an aspie sister and she herself had SPD and her father committed suicide if I remember correctly. Was her account nuked because I did a search on her name and found nothing. If she was a troll, was all that made up too what she wrote?[/quote ]I don't know.

My bad, I got confused with another user. I was thinking of KOS.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 1:24 am

i dont know, i get along with them pretty well. some nonverbal autistic people even talk to me.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 1:27 am

i dont know, i get along with them pretty well. some nonverbal autistic people even talk to me.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 3:15 am

I don't think of people who are lower functioning as inferior, I just don't often find that I personally have much in common with them, and don't particularly seek them out, but I also don't seek out AS people generally. I've never liked the idea that autistics will just naturally get along and relate to one another, it's as ridiculous as thinking that people in wheelchairs are all the same because of their shared disability, but even more extreme because AS manifests so differently in each person. I run an AS social group and have personally met hundreds of autistics, and I can honestly say that I like, dislike, and am indifferent to them at about the same rate as I am to the general public, with maybe a slight edge for the handful who have similar traits to me.

AutisticMillionaire
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Dec 2013, 4:16 am

I think it's rather obvious. High functioning is better on a quantifiable way.

I'd say a High Functioned individual is at an advantage to the average NT, as we have the benefit's of both worlds. Personally I keep my AS hidden, people just think I'm kinda hermit like. Most see me as "normal" just a tad eccentric..

What's the low functioning advantage?

"What do I care about law? Ain't I got the power?"
Cornelius Vanderbilt

Bluth
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Dec 2013, 5:40 am

High functioning is "better" than low functioning because adapting to a neurotypical society is easier when you are high functioning. That's all there is to it really. HFA is less impairing than LFA, but I agree that neurotypicals treat you more understanding when you are low functioning. That is the only advantage I see.

Schizpergers
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Dec 2013, 8:04 am

A lot can be learned from people with lower functioning autism and other severe cognative disabilities.

Someone once explained a way that makes sense of how people function.
Imagine an RPG game where people have different stats such as strength or speed or intelligence etc.
You only get so many points to fill all those stats.
The average person is pretty evenly disperced across the abilities.
People who have a lot of difficulty in one thing will make up for it else where.

I like talking to people on here who are lower functioning. I think people can learn a lot from each other by sharing how we think.
Also lower functioning people usually are really intelligent at something.
I've had IQ tests and my functioning scores are quite scattered.

littlebee
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 11:06 am

jenisautistic wrote:
Troy_Guther wrote:
Because low functioning is inferior. They simply function in an inferior way; that's why it's called low functioning. You can go ahead and say that saying this is ableist or cruel or just plain mean. But let's be real, if you had to choose between being a high functioning aspie or a low functioning autistic, which would you pick? No lying now.

im not talking about functioning levels Im talking about socially like the class system in a sense.

honesty im not intiry sure - I have both low and high functioning / good and bad traits I cant cook, wash or brush my hair, take my own medication pick out my own clothing ( I didn't dress myself until I was 10 or 11 ) do my homework alone, I often times have severe sensory overload, most days im either tired over stimulated or completely lost In my thoughts, a lot of physical challenges which im not sure if its related to autism or not, speech issues ect but I am also smart, good at writing (not handwriting though) ,when I can actually get my speech issues under control I can be pretty articulate, when my memory decides to work properly I can remember scripts, song lyrics, definitions, answers commercials, I could competey zoned in to reading, watching tv, writing, rehursing that nothing can distract me, when I get interested in something I will do it no matter what anyone else thinks, I am not judgmental, I am unique, I have a different view of the world.

If I was a high functioning aspie I wouldn't have as many development problems and I might be able to pass of as normal .

if I was severely autistic I might not have as much social problems / people would be able to deal with my needs properly also if I was non verbal using a communication device would help me with sounding articulant

if I was a high functioning aspie I would be more aware of the problems in this world (and my problems in general) and what people really think of me causing me to be depressed or suicidal wondering why cant I fit in when I seem so normal to the nt world or try to change your self which Is counter productive.

if I was severely autistic people might act overly sappy and sympathetic to me and try to cure me or ill be so self ingrous i do severe damage with out realizing it/ wonder off and get hit by a car or kidnaped

To me what you describe is high functioning in that you can process ideas and think and speak. I might or might not invite you to a party at my house (not that I even have any) depending upon how you would fit in with the people there and what the function of that party was, a specialized group of people interested in certain ideas and activities or just people in general, but if it was too much hassle I might not, as having a party in itself is something I could barely do and I would not want to make it any more difficult than it already was, but if someone else took on any kind of extra work and responsibility, then that might be different. Or if I did invite you, there would have to be a payoff for me. Maybe you would have something unique to contribute or maybe just the love and satisfaction from including someone like yourself. (edited to add, if the mind of a person is brilliant, and I feel I could learn something important from that person, then to me that would be a very big payoff, as leaning is the most important thing to me, so then any extra effort would not matter and even seem insignificant). It is all very subjective and contextual, but imo from your end trying to analyze and process all this kind of info about other people would be a waste of time. It would be too hard to sort out.

Anyway,. society is formed around making and doing, and a person's functional capacity plays into all of that, so I think you are making a kind of arbitrary distinction when you speak about functioning levels in terms of fitting into society. Society is about functioning.

The main thing is to accept yourself and find ways to learn and grow and enjoy your own life. I am not sure if thinking about how other people do not accept you or how you do not fit in is that helpful. It is seeing the glass as half empty, and that world view is not self or other enriching.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 12:13 pm

I think all autistics are beautiful people and none of them are inferior human beings.
The only people I think are inferior are sociopaths. I have been abused and gas lighted by such people. Researchers should look for a cure for that.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 12:16 pm

i feel that a lot of people don't respect me because of my spacey mind.

littlebee
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 12:51 pm

Marybird wrote:
I think all autistics are beautiful people and none of them are inferior human beings.
The only people I think are inferior are sociopaths. I have been abused and gas lighted by such people. Researchers should look for a cure for that.

Wow. Interesting message.. I do not think the solution is for researchers to look into finding a cure for human insensitivity. There may be some extremely limited value, but that would be too slow.. I have written a lot about slow being fast, but that was meant regarding not skipping essential steps within ones own understanding, but actually in terms of action, one does not want longer than necessary to figure things out, so t would suggest to begin discussing and making a study of this right here and now on Wrong Planet. I think coming to an understanding in our dialogue here in such a way that actually affects our minds and helps us develop the mind of great compassion as interconnected with both inner and outer speech and conscious doing rather than mechanical reaction would ultimately have a much greater affect upon humanity in general than some scientific study.

Anyway, most people already know that to be nice to other people gives beneficial results. Granted many children and teenagers as well as some adults do not yet completely realize this, but imo this is probably because they are being bullied or have been bullied in their own homes. Various education projects are already being done in the US and maybe other countries also to remedy this kind of situation. People are doing hands-on experimentation, and this is building community in such a way that maybe can to some degree counteract bad parenting and even educate parents.