Asperger's And Nervous Stomach........

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

T800Thinker
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Jul 2011, 8:14 am

I have been under alot of stress lately well in my mind anyway but my question is do us Aspies have more sensitive stomaches or nerves?? now I will admit my diet isn't the greatest alot of hot stuff and snacks but I been trying to do better yet it seems lately everything goes through me,and is it normal for us to ''scare'' ourselves with anxiety I am a young man at 25 but I feel as if I have to live a ''older'' person life or a life that is ''calmer'' how come we can't be more relaxed and just enjoy ourselves?? I see people my age in real life and on shows like Jersey Shore and they all seem so relaxed

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 8:40 am

Ugh,yes
I'm 14but my wretched stomach often drives me crazy.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 8:52 am

Whenever I am nervous or stressed by gut gets irrated. I don't know if its to do with aspsergers though

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 8:56 am

Not from as I think...
Maybe just because we are sometimes more nervous?

Xayah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jul 2011, 10:00 am

I'd say that people with AS have a higher incidence of anxiety, and hence the 'nervous stomach.' I can relate. It's really hard to concentrate on not being nervous when your stomach is doing gymnastics

the trials and tribulations of a girl pretending to be normal

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 10:36 am

I just made a thread about this yesterday. I don't seem to have meltdowns or shutdowns, but whenever I end up in an aspie-unfriendly situation (and the anticipation of it), it seems to make me physically sick. Like my digestive system itself actually completely stops working, and it's all I can do to hold down my previous meal, even after several hours.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 10:51 am

It is caused by anxiety, not by Asperger's itself. I know a lot of NTs who suffer from a lot of stress, anger, or anxiety, and they suffer with stomach problems like irritable bowel too. Funnily enough, I suffer from an anxiety disorder, but I don't have much stomach trouble. I have palpitations and headaches more.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

08 Jul 2011, 11:41 am

Never really get sick. Did get food poisoning a lot as a kid. Couldn't afford better food. Thanks a lot, Dad. :x

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

08 Jul 2011, 1:00 pm

Joe90 wrote:
It is caused by anxiety, not by Asperger's itself. I know a lot of NTs who suffer from a lot of stress, anger, or anxiety, and they suffer with stomach problems like irritable bowel too. Funnily enough, I suffer from an anxiety disorder, but I don't have much stomach trouble. I have palpitations and headaches more.

There is a higher prevalence of anxiety among people with ASDs, so yes - autism can be the source of greater vulnerability to anxiety.

For that matter, autistic people have a higher rate of digestive problems than NTs.

T800Thinker
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Jul 2011, 4:40 pm

Just lately I feel as if I have to take it ''easy'' in all aspects of life as if I am sensitive to everything is that normal for us and even having a sexual relationship is not easy to do because I feel the pleasure to much,why aren't young Aspies like our NT peers as far as relaxing and having a good time??

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 6:10 pm

We are less robust than NT's so emulating their habits is disastrous. We have more stress in our lives too

Look after yourself better and you will be fine

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 6:25 pm

I just think it's strange that I don't outwardly show signs of anxiety. I'm not really anxious at all, yet I've been really sick for the past few days. But I probably am somewhat anxious, at least on a subconscious level, and guess what, that's what controls my digestive system.

Dae
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jul 2011, 8:47 pm

Those with Asperger's (or with any 'condition' that could make an individual a more likely 'target' in terms of discrimination - unintentional or not) often experience 'fight-or-flight' much more than those who generally feel unquestionably secure within their place in the 'world'. Those experiencing 'fight-or-flight' are most frequently told (in many ways) that they're 'overreacting' which then leads to those experiencing 'f-or-f' making attempts to self-repress. Attempts to 'self-repress' these physical/biological responses/reactions lead to 'nervous stomach', headaches, increased feelings of anxiety, ulcers, IBS, hair falling out, on and on and on. Denying what one is truly feeling (especially for the wrong reasons - such as assuring NT's that 'everything's just fine') exacts a cost from the one doing the denying and that cost can take many forms.

Surfman; pls elaborate on your statement that 'We are less robust than NT's'. Thank you.

kahlua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2011, 10:57 pm

I have anxiety and irritable bowel syndrome and various food intolerances. Every morning I usually have to run to the toilet, with bad cramps and very upset tum.

Combine that with an event that makes me anxious, and I get stuck in the toilet for ages. End up taking imodium tablets, but they cause their own issues. I tend not to eat anything if I have to go somewhere, in case it sets off my stomach.

Combined with ASD, the stomach issues add another reason to avoid leaving the house.

T800Thinker
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Jul 2011, 11:55 pm

What confuses me also is how come we can't really go out and enjoy ourselves?? regarding socially because I want to at times yet I feel as if it's a big production and not worth the trouble,I don't really fit in with my age group even in my 20's and it was the same in high school

MooCow
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 2:06 am

I actually have a pretty iron-clad stomach.

Having a queasy feeling in your stomach when nervous is normal, AS or not.