Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SonicTommy
Raven
Raven

23 Dec 2013, 11:04 am

When I walk into a room, apparently I make an angry expression when I'm just looking at who's there. I don't even notice I'm doing it. People commented on it, wondering why I was annoyed at them, and I couldn't really explain . Now that I know I have AS and I've read up on it, I think I get it now. It's just me processing who's in the room, working out whether I know them or not, and if I like them. It unnerves people though, and I can't help doing it.

Has anybody else had a similar experience?

dottsie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Dec 2013, 11:31 am

My face does the same thing, except apparently, I look depressed all the time instead of irritated. If I had a nickel for every time someone asked me "what's wrong?" when I was just staring into space, I'd be rich. I dunno if this is an aspie thing or not, though; I've never really thought about it.

SonicTommy
Raven
Raven

23 Dec 2013, 11:52 am

dottsie wrote:
My face does the same thing, except apparently, I look depressed all the time instead of irritated. If I had a nickel for every time someone asked me "what's wrong?" when I was just staring into space, I'd be rich. I dunno if this is an aspie thing or not, though; I've never really thought about it.

Lol, yeah, I've had that as well. It's quite annoying when you are taken out of a daydream by people who don't get that you are just being you, lol.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2013, 1:02 pm

Why so...serious? 8)

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2013, 1:14 pm

My son told me sometimes I stare like an angry turtle.

fondoftrees
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Dec 2013, 3:06 pm

I get this all of the time. I'm usually just in deep thought about something, I'm not angry. Actually, people asking me this so often has made me quite self-conscious. I don't know why people have to assume I'm not okay, or that I come off as a snob because I convey a certain look and tone that I don't know how to change. And I do struggle with depression, so sometimes I'm lost in deep thoughts about too many perplexing life "things". I just don't get why people have to call attention to it.

LucySnowe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Dec 2013, 4:22 pm

Yeah, I looked pissed off all the time. I think I get so wrapped up in whatever I'm thinking about that I don't realize what's going on on my face, or how other people will react. So I startle them.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2013, 4:53 pm

:? I actually walk into rooms where there are mirrors, catch sight of my reflection and think "Geez, what are you so cheesed off about?" :evil:

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2013, 5:31 pm

sometimes my eyes glaze over, so i have the chance to look at people when theyre talking, im actually not focusing on them so i can understand them better, but if i need to look at them, in the eye specifically, i tend to stare, and cant understand them anymore.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2013, 1:18 am

I do this too. I use it to my advantage to keep people away from me.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2013, 5:35 am

i also get this, and i have a theory as to why:

neurotypical sassume happy people to show that, with a smile and some "glow" (whatever that means) on their face.
due to this assumption, the absence of those signals "must" mean that the person is unhappy or grumpy; basically, not having a visible emotion is the same as a negative emotion, in their eyes

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2013, 5:50 am

People are always telling me to cheer up even when I am enjoying myself.

droppy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Dec 2013, 6:44 am

I am asked if I look angry or sad a lot even if I am not being. I mean, I am angry a lot of the time, but even when I am not I am asked if I am.
People start imagining my expression as a "death glare" after they hear the music I listen to. Uhm, people's imagination :lol:

klausnrooster
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Dec 2013, 2:05 pm

izzeme wrote:
...neurotypicals assume ...not having a visible emotion is the same as a negative emotion, in their eyes

Yup. I get that all the time too. Less the last 10 or so years as I realized people sort of hate you for it so I go on the offence (as opposed to waiting for the need to be on the defensive). I enter the room, look at and talk to everyone, then ignore them for hours, lol.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2013, 7:56 pm

I get the "what's wrong" when there is nothing wrong fairly often.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

nuttyengineer
Toucan
Toucan

26 Dec 2013, 12:31 am

I do this frequently, usually when trying to take in everything in the room I've just entered. It reminds me of a YouTube video that someone posted on here a few months ago (contains some obscenity).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v98CPXNiSk[/youtube]