Page 17 of 18 [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2014, 9:49 pm

Well.. friend.. i don't know about you as you are a little older than me..although i doubt that would make a difference really....

But Autism Speaks iS a non-factor in how people accept me...

Most people i talk to..have no friggin idea what 'higher functioning' Autism IS other than relating it to the type of folks on the Big Bang Theory..TV show..

And considering that IT IS the top ranked sit-com on any national broadcasting station for several years..in the US...

I'm just not seeing an overall push from culture..for non-acceptance of 'higher functioning' leaning autistic folks...

If anything..they are made out to be in the media..as some sort of mystical beings..with superpowers..of intelligence..and intuition..in solving problems like no one else can do...

Like me now..at 53..haha..hehe....

Dam it wouldn't have been so bad to live in a world like that when I was young...

As people just considered me a geek..freak..and nerd along with the queer thing..as i was an androgynous child..that is associated now in research with so called higher functioning.. autism...

But i do not know what country you are from..at this moment..and that truly could make a huge difference..per some countries....where the 'nerd' dudes and 'dudettes' are not the overall rage....

I do not see the US as a country overall that rejects autistic folks..everything i see says love and compassion..

Far far far way..from real pity..and sorrow...

But again..that's just my opinion...differences in cognitive empathy and all of that potentially noted duly as such...

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 2:32 am

Having a characters Autistic traits be an object be an object of laughter every week on a highly rated network television show is not my idea of positive. While audience may or may not know these traits are autistic or if they call it another name they are laughing at autism. On the procedural s the portrayals are positive. But if you want to know what people really think of autistic people read post after post of what people have had said and done to them. Look at the unemployment and underemployment statistics for autistics As far as aspie superpowers the only place I see that is amongst a few aspie supremacists.

As for my worry about the Autism Speaks characterizations causing problems my concern is about lawmakers getting the we must do anything and everything NOW message and causing harm with "solutions" that were not thought out and were based on emotion. As for citizens you only need a few frightened out of their wits to cause terror.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 8:12 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
aghogday wrote:
IN attending what is described as a Pace Assembly of Church in my local area...

Their MO to gain donations now is mainly through texting...

And they have the congregation..raise their cell phones to the sky..when it's time to donate in church...

WELL..that kind of says it all..per donations..and the power of persuasion..in herd think...

Well.. friend.. i don't know about you as you are a little older than me..although i doubt that would make a difference really....

But Autism Speaks iS a non-factor in how people accept me...

Most people i talk to..have no friggin idea what 'higher functioning' Autism IS other than relating it to the type of folks on the Big Bang Theory..TV show..

And considering that IT IS the top ranked sit-com on any national broadcasting station for several years..in the US...

I'm just not seeing an overall push from culture..for non-acceptance of 'higher functioning' leaning autistic folks...

If anything..they are made out to be in the media..as some sort of mystical beings..with superpowers..of intelligence..and intuition..in solving problems like no one else can do...

Like me now..at 53..haha..hehe....

Dam it wouldn't have been so bad to live in a world like that when I was young...

As people just considered me a geek..freak..and nerd along with the queer thing..as i was an androgynous child..that is associated now in research with so called higher functioning.. autism...

But i do not know what country you are from..at this moment..and that truly could make a huge difference..per some countries....where the 'nerd' dudes and 'dudettes' are not the overall rage....

I do not see the US as a country overall that rejects autistic folks..everything i see says love and compassion..

Far far far way..from real pity..and sorrow...

But again..that's just my opinion...differences in cognitive empathy and all of that potentially noted duly as such...

Having a characters Autistic traits be an object be an object of laughter every week on a highly rated network television show is not my idea of positive. While audience may or may not know these traits are autistic or if they call it another name they are laughing at autism. On the procedural s the portrayals are positive. But if you want to know what people really think of autistic people read post after post of what people have had said and done to them. Look at the unemployment and underemployment statistics for autistics As far as aspie superpowers the only place I see that is amongst a few aspie supremacists.

As for my worry about the Autism Speaks characterizations causing problems my concern is about lawmakers getting the we must do anything and everything NOW message and causing harm with "solutions" that were not thought out and were based on emotion. As for citizens you only need a few frightened out of their wits to cause terror.

Well friend..there is a common issue among folks with Autism (particularly so called higher functioning autism) wHere per cognitive empathy... some individuals cannot clearly understand the difference of someone who laughs with ya..instead of at yA...

I'm sorry friend..that you perceive IT that way..but seriously people overall in society are laughing with the lovable characters on the Big Bang TV show..not at them...supporting them in their struggles and achievements in life...

That IS simply human empathy and compassion...demonstrated as such...

Overall that is what social animals do...

Even wild wolves..that have not been trapped in a domesticated world...

And also my friend..i would rather have people laugh with me at my unusual differences today..which they most definitely do..along with applause..as i am not afraid to dance walk 23 miles in a local mall..IN one day..Like Michael Jackson moonwalking and all that 2....

Than to be viewed as a victim...

I am a survivor..

Not a victim..

And I have documented evidence of that by the way....

That is my choice though...AND WILL

Not a choice OR WILL i can impose on anyone else...

but i do hope for that ... AND YES.. EVEN PRAY FOR IT.. IN MY UNIQUE NON-VERBAL WAY....

For everyone here...

As the power of human positive thinking..epigenetics..and neuroplasticity..or what some folks describe as a higher power..or even GOD...

Can truly make miracles happen...

My therapist describes my life now as a miracle...

So at least for me

there is
nothing

but

BELIEVE

It truly sets me a part from most people here..

sadly
sadly

i say

AND OH by the way..here iS the documented evidence..in case ya'd like to review it...

my friend...

http://katiemiafrederick.com/2013/12/31 ... in-review/

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

14 Jan 2014, 2:25 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
Whats your definition of "ableism"? Autism Speaks promotes "ableism" because it shows the problems that some people have with it? Is that one lady CFOakly if I remember correctly, on YouTube, who puts up the videos of her grown son who has all those problems and has to be taken care of like a toddler promoting "ableism" by showing what it's like? I don't see her saying "He's got a GIFT! His ONLY problem is because the entire rest of society won't give him a job and girls aren't flocking to him and nobody comes over to hang out and vote him Homecoming King, and it's all because they are just discriminating against his differences!" Well, since she's showing how hard it is, since she talks matter of factly about it too, since she's not going around singing "I'm so glad he's autistic" then she must be, right? Must be promoting "ableism".

What about that one other chick on there? The one who gets on there with her rants about how cars driving up her street are discriminating against her and harassing her because she's autistic and the noise bothers her. Is she a victim of "ableism" because cars drive on her street? Is it "ableism" to suggest that if it were available, she could take a pill and the noise wouldn't bother her anymore? Or would it be much better to suggest that the people in her city totally avoid her street and walk everywhere instead, so they don't make noise?

What about people with phobias? Can they be victims of "ableism" as well? I'm sure they could, right? But, what if somebody had a phobia of people with another disability/illness/God-given-wonderful-gift, etc? Say somebody had a phobia of autistic people? Would that person be "ableist" or does this just not apply because both people have something wrong with them? My oldest son has a huge phobia of people who are albinos. Is he "ableist" or does he just have a phobia? Should he get treatment for that phobia? What if it's causing "ableism"? What if it's a GIFT?

Quoting the above simply because it is an ideal example of putting words in my mouth (that is, straw man arguments) and of a gish gallop: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Gish_Gallop

No point in responding.

Quote:
Just because somebody doesn't agree with your point of view doesn't mean that their point of view is some sort of whatever type of "ism" you come up with and want to brand them with.

No, I don't label people who disagree with me as being -ist just because I disagree with them. I say they are being ableist because, to my perception, they are being ableist. And by they I also mean you. Not all opinions are equal, and being dismissive of disability and misrepresenting what a group of disabled people experience because it's not the most severe possible of all experiences is ableist. That's what you did.

Ableism is discrimination in favor of abled people. Or discrimination against disabled people. An earlier post of yours, for example, demonstrates a lot of ableism in that you spent so much time minimizing what being autistic means (the snarky comments about keeping food separate for example) to many of us, as if there's only "You're low-functioning or you don't have real problems worth caring about" - which, unsurprisingly, is basically what aghogday and littlebee have been doing in this thread and in several others. That is, being ableist.

vickygleitz wrote:
Why don't they mention that there are many "high functioning" autistics who are still disabled, but maybe will live independently, contribute to society in many more ways than they already do, etc, but ONLY if their needs are acknowledged and accomodated so that they CAN be the most succesful [by each persons definition] autistic possible. There are already so many accommodations for what works best for NTs'. MAJOR accommodations. That is how this culture is set up. Why do our people not have access to many even minor accommodations?

That's an excellent question. I don't think anyone in this thread who supports Autism Speaks thinks that the group you describe deserves assistance or accommodations. I know for sure that littlebee opposes accommodations.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 8:14 pm

http://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism

Quote:
What Does It Mean to Be “On the Spectrum”?

Each individual with autism is unique. Many of those on the autism spectrum have exceptional abilities in visual skills, music and academic skills. About 40 percent have average to above average intellectual abilities. Indeed, many persons on the spectrum take deserved pride in their distinctive abilities and “atypical” ways of viewing the world. Others with autism have significant disability and are unable to live independently. About 25 percent of individuals with ASD are nonverbal but can learn to communicate using other means. Autism Speaks’ mission is to improve the lives of all those on the autism spectrum. For some, this means the development and delivery of more effective treatments that can address significant challenges in communication and physical health. For others, it means increasing acceptance, respect and support.

i think that is about 24 times that i have linked and quoted this fact...on this site overall..so what the heck.. i just i ce..did it again...

Autism Speaks advocates for support for the so called higher functioning folks on the spectrum....

It's a fact..right up there bolded in black and green...:)

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 8:23 pm

Verdandi wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
Whats your definition of "ableism"? Autism Speaks promotes "ableism" because it shows the problems that some people have with it? Is that one lady CFOakly if I remember correctly, on YouTube, who puts up the videos of her grown son who has all those problems and has to be taken care of like a toddler promoting "ableism" by showing what it's like? I don't see her saying "He's got a GIFT! His ONLY problem is because the entire rest of society won't give him a job and girls aren't flocking to him and nobody comes over to hang out and vote him Homecoming King, and it's all because they are just discriminating against his differences!" Well, since she's showing how hard it is, since she talks matter of factly about it too, since she's not going around singing "I'm so glad he's autistic" then she must be, right? Must be promoting "ableism".

What about that one other chick on there? The one who gets on there with her rants about how cars driving up her street are discriminating against her and harassing her because she's autistic and the noise bothers her. Is she a victim of "ableism" because cars drive on her street? Is it "ableism" to suggest that if it were available, she could take a pill and the noise wouldn't bother her anymore? Or would it be much better to suggest that the people in her city totally avoid her street and walk everywhere instead, so they don't make noise?

What about people with phobias? Can they be victims of "ableism" as well? I'm sure they could, right? But, what if somebody had a phobia of people with another disability/illness/God-given-wonderful-gift, etc? Say somebody had a phobia of autistic people? Would that person be "ableist" or does this just not apply because both people have something wrong with them? My oldest son has a huge phobia of people who are albinos. Is he "ableist" or does he just have a phobia? Should he get treatment for that phobia? What if it's causing "ableism"? What if it's a GIFT?

Quoting the above simply because it is an ideal example of putting words in my mouth (that is, straw man arguments) and of a gish gallop: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Gish_Gallop

No point in responding.

Quote:
Just because somebody doesn't agree with your point of view doesn't mean that their point of view is some sort of whatever type of "ism" you come up with and want to brand them with.

No, I don't label people who disagree with me as being -ist just because I disagree with them. I say they are being ableist because, to my perception, they are being ableist. And by they I also mean you. Not all opinions are equal, and being dismissive of disability and misrepresenting what a group of disabled people experience because it's not the most severe possible of all experiences is ableist. That's what you did.

Ableism is discrimination in favor of abled people. Or discrimination against disabled people. An earlier post of yours, for example, demonstrates a lot of ableism in that you spent so much time minimizing what being autistic means (the snarky comments about keeping food separate for example) to many of us, as if there's only "You're low-functioning or you don't have real problems worth caring about" - which, unsurprisingly, is basically what aghogday and littlebee have been doing in this thread and in several others. That is, being ableist.

vickygleitz wrote:
Why don't they mention that there are many "high functioning" autistics who are still disabled, but maybe will live independently, contribute to society in many more ways than they already do, etc, but ONLY if their needs are acknowledged and accomodated so that they CAN be the most succesful [by each persons definition] autistic possible. There are already so many accommodations for what works best for NTs'. MAJOR accommodations. That is how this culture is set up. Why do our people not have access to many even minor accommodations?

That's an excellent question. I don't think anyone in this thread who supports Autism Speaks thinks that the group you describe deserves assistance or accommodations. I know for sure that littlebee opposes accommodations.

OH AND BY THE WAY..VERDANDI..ONCE AGAIN..I'M AFRAID YOU ARE FULL OF s**t...

i have never suggested that anyone on this site does not have substantial problems in functioning in life...

I don't think i would be praying for them if they did not...my friend....

Once again..quote it if i actually stated this..or please just shut up....as i have never ever never ever suggested this NOT only here but anywhere else in the entire friggin Universe...

I am seriously getting tired of you lying about me..to suit your own selfish needs for attention.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 8:55 pm

aghogday wrote:
OH AND BY THE WAY..VERDANDI..ONCE AGAIN..I'M AFRAID YOU ARE FULL OF sh**...

i have never suggested that anyone on this site does not have substantial problems in functioning in life...

Once again..quote it if i actually stated this..or please just shut up....as i have never ever never ever suggested this NOT only here but anywhere else in the entire friggin Universe...

I am seriously getting tired of you lying about me..to suit your own selfish needs for attention.

Have you ever seen the movie The Princess Bride? Cause I don't think that word means what you think it means! :)

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 10:14 pm

wozeree wrote:
aghogday wrote:

Have you ever seen the movie The Princess Bride? Cause I don't think that word means what you think it means! :)

haha ..well i'm a true christian..i love 'those' folks too....;)

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 10:34 pm

Verdandi wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

No point in responding.

Quote:

vickygleitz wrote:

I believe they should also have lower functioning or nonverbal people are self aware of the situation and could help show both the positives and negatives of autism.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

15 Jan 2014, 5:11 am

jenisautistic wrote:
I believe they should also have lower functioning or nonverbal people are self aware of the situation and could help show both the positives and negatives of autism.

Yes! And as it is, autistic people are not represented at all.

Drehmaschine
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2014, 11:44 am

HDLMatchette wrote:
they advocate a cure and prevention of autism, write poems that claim we are "not living" and are "born to ruin marriages"
Source, please?

HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

littlebee
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2014, 1:42 pm

Verdandi wrote:

Quote:
I know for sure that littlebee opposes accommodations.

Is this your way of saying hello?:-)

I don't at all oppose accommodations.This is a complete fabrication. I just am not sure people who do not like loud noise should be given a private room to work in a call center, and this is about all I have ever said on the subject of accommodations except that I think even a person who cannot work because of a personality disorder (meaning severe grudge holding, anger, and other personality dysfunction, so a bug up his butt and the kind of person no one likes and can work with) should still be given SSI, as such a person is obviously disabled. By the way, because I am a crafts person I happen to know several such people on SSI who are also working under the table, so they ARE able to work. Personally I do not like that.

Slander is unacceptable, and whoever is engaging in that activity will have to pay for it, at least by the ever increasing speed of the erosion of his own conscience, and sadly, this will harm many people. If such a person is a so called activist, supposedly working for the good of people, it will also taint and weaken the endeavor of any organization he is involved with and even create a backlash against the people he thinks he is trying to help.. .

Whatever you have gone though that has made you suffer, I genuinely do feel for you, Verdandi, and am even willing to take some of the suffering you are feeling upon my own self, if that could be of some little help. I will be thinking about you and the many like you today and feeling with you, so maybe it will not be so difficult, as I have been there, too, and am not going to leave others behind and go away and have a happy life just for myself... However, distortion around ideas, especially deliberate distortion should not be allowed to stand, especially since there are so many young people reading here, as it erodes human conscience. Try to be attentive to yourself and what you are feeling. Simply feel it. It will give you power to help many people.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2014, 2:50 pm

Yah..ya know it's interesting Little Bee... considering i am financially independent and do not have to go to work..

and could live the rest of my days..sipping an ice cold water on the beach..singing Karaoke in beach bars and all of that...

People often ask me..why do i spend so much time trying to help people on the spectrum..and inspiring other folks in life..through my efforts of dance walking in malls for 23 miles and all of that..

And i simply say..the one that is all .. calls me..and i have no choice..but to respond....

And to communicate with other folks..other than me..that do not experience happiness and bliss..

even through the conflicts that can come from showing folks another

potential

way.

So yes..as usual i relate to what you say...

Amazing how a stint with hell..

can change a person's life..and ability to care for others 2..no matter what the potential

personal consequence....

But i have endless energy..

so it is only a pleasure2.

me..

overall .. still.. at least for now..

that is all
that
truly
counts...

ALL OF COURSE JUST..
IN MY BEST...

ESTIMATION...

MY FRIEND

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2014, 3:41 pm

aghogday wrote:

I am not lying about you. You have repeatedly characterized people who disagree with you about Autism Speaks as having mild problems or as having no significant obstacles. Or in at least one instance, your assertion that the DSM-5 criteria were created in order to exclude many of the people who post here from a diagnosis - and at the same time try to use their autism to justify excluding them from discussions (because their supposed lack of ~cognitive empathy~ disqualifies them from talking about Autism Speaks, as you have asserted repeatedly).

I don't have any need for attention, I just do not care to see falsehoods go unchallenged.

Also, we're not friends and I would thank you to stop referring to me as such.

But mostly, if you're going to accuse me of lying about you, it would probably behoove you to not actually do the things you say that I am lying about. Since you're actually doing those things, that means I am telling the truth and that your attempt to assert that I am lying is in fact the lie. You are perfectly aware of this.

littlebee wrote:
I don't at all oppose accommodations.This is a complete fabrication. I just am not sure people who do not like loud noise should be given a private room to work in a call center, and this is about all I have ever said on the subject of accommodations

Does the phrase "push through the pain" ring any bells? You're distorting the exchanges we had on that, as the call center accommodation was an example of a reasonable accommodation that might enable someone to work.

Quote:
By the way, because I am a crafts person I happen to know several such people on SSI who are also working under the table, so they ARE able to work. Personally I do not like that.

What's wrong? People who can't live on the pittance that SSI provides them find ways to supplement their meager sub-poverty income bothers you? Somehow I'm not surprised.

Also, someone able to work under the table may not be able to work sufficiently to support themselves without SSI. Being able to supplement SSI does not equate to being able to manage a job that one can live on. There's this thing called nuance that your argument lacks.

Quote:
Whatever you have gone though that has made you suffer, I genuinely do feel for you, Verdandi, and am even willing to take some of the suffering you are feeling upon my own self, if that could be of some little help. I will be thinking about you and the many like you today and feeling with you, so maybe it will not be so difficult, as I have been there, too, and am not going to leave others behind and go away and have a happy life just for myself... However, distortion around ideas, especially deliberate distortion should not be allowed to stand, especially since there are so many young people reading here, as it erodes human conscience. Try to be attentive to yourself and what you are feeling. Simply feel it. It will give you power to help many people.

Spare me your fake compassion and your terrible advice. You're passive-aggressive and manipulative. You bully others who disagree with you. You try to dominate discussions. You try to characterize topics you dislike as "harmful to humanity." None of this is slander because it is what you have done - what you did in this post I responded to.

There is no distortion of your behavior, deliberate or otherwise. You, on the other hand, engage in constant obfuscation and distortion.

I don't have any benefit of the doubt left for you or aghogday. You two are a mess, and you're making this forum a mess. I am not in the least surprised that the two of you are pretty much on the same page.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2014, 3:46 pm

Oh and here's a post where aghogday says the things that he denies saying (and calls me a liar for saying he said them):

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp5790297.html#5790297

Quote:
Da ya..really think a charitable non-profit organization raising about 60 M dollars a year is going to be negatively influenced by a group effort of people on the internet who are already described as not really autistic..in general by at least some of the people who directed the DSM5 effort to get rid of Asperger's Syndrome..in part because they don't see this internet described autism phenomenon as anything seemingly but 'a self-reported fraud'...

Note that he is defending the perspective he describes. Read the entire post.

Real words you actually typed don't suddenly disappear or change meaning in a different discussion.