Do Anti-Depressants help with hypersensitivity?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Wags
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Dec 2013, 4:52 pm

Do Anti-Depressants/SSRI help at all with hypersensitivity (Noise, Light, etc)?

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2013, 4:57 pm

All SSRIs, even those used as sleep aids and antidepressants, are actually amphetamines. I can't imagine how that would make you less sensitive to anything, but then I don't understand how they help you sleep, either. But that does explain why so many people have sleepwalking episodes while taking them.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2013, 5:27 pm

im on some antidepressents and i dont feel like anything is quieter, less painful, dimmer and so on

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Wags
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Dec 2013, 6:28 pm

I'm on Lexapro and I think it has helped me with hypersensitivy actually. I don't know it it actually reduced the sensitivity, or I don't notice it because I don't care.

opal
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2013, 7:49 pm

I was on Lexapro for a while and went off it because it gave me tinnitus, among other things. Not good for hyperacuity. I was on another that just made me so zombified I didn't care about anything.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2013, 10:03 pm

Willard wrote:
All SSRIs, even those used as sleep aids and antidepressants, are actually amphetamines. I can't imagine how that would make you less sensitive to anything, but then I don't understand how they help you sleep, either. But that does explain why so many people have sleepwalking episodes while taking them.

SSRIS are not amphetamines they are Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors its a totally different molecule

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2013, 10:18 pm

It helped to make my intense emotions less disabling.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2013, 10:37 pm

Wags wrote:
I'm on Lexapro and I think it has helped me with hypersensitivy actually. I don't know it it actually reduced the sensitivity, or I don't notice it because I don't care.

My experience was the latter.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2013, 1:06 am

Less intense sadness and despair, so less sensory overload.

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2013, 2:43 am

No difference in that regard on any of the meds I have taken in past years.

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2013, 12:02 pm

Wags wrote:

In my experience yes, it has. I found that I am much more sensitive when I am not on my medication and my husband notices the difference as well and knows in an instant if I have not been taking my medication.

Wildcatb
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Dec 2013, 4:36 pm

I added an SSRI to my 'me' recently. I've noticed less crushing depression, but no reduction in sensitivity. If anything, there's been a slight increase.

BobinPgh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Dec 2013, 11:41 pm

structrix wrote:
Wags wrote:

In my experience yes, it has. I found that I am much more sensitive when I am not on my medication and my husband notices the difference as well and knows in an instant if I have not been taking my medication.

I would have to say some. But I still cannot stand painfully loud talking with a lot of people where I can't make out what someone is saying.

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 10:49 am

BobinPgh wrote:
structrix wrote:
Wags wrote:

I would have to say some. But I still cannot stand painfully loud talking with a lot of people where I can't make out what someone is saying.

By all means, SSRIs do not totally take away some of the sensitivity issues that plague us. But, they do help in moderating them and making them less likely to cause a meltdown.