Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

LittlePigLocksmith
Raven
Raven

27 Dec 2013, 4:22 am

Hello there. A few weeks ago, I was having a hard time sleeping so I went out for a walk a little after midnight. I was walking through a particularly poorly lit area when I found myself confronted by three people in dark clothes. The one standing nearest to me was a young, athletic looking white man with a shaved head... they all happened to be visibly armed...

At first, I just saw one & tried to walk past without making eye cotact, but he (the one that looked like a skinhead) approached me and started asking me who I was, what I was doing at a construction site at roughtly 12:30 in the morning, stuff like that. As he was speaking to me, I became aware of the similarly dressed young woman behind him and an older gentleman with some kind of rifle.

Throughout the whole experience, I was trembling uncontrolably & they even commented on it. Now, what happened after that isn't particularly important because I'm home safe and the police department as well as my family have been informed, but looking back I really wish I didn't always shake like that because people feel more confident that they can get away with what they're doing when they know you're terrified of them. Unfortunately, this isn't the first time sometihng like this has happened to me (though the details always vary slightly). I've learned to keep a wallet on me at all times with just a little money in it, but nothing I can't afford to lose along with a few other tricks to help these things go more smoothly, but I really wish I could control the trembling.

Do any of you know of something I could do to calm myself when things like this happen? If you do, please let me know.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 4:40 am

Ativan?

Meditation?

Tokename
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Dec 2013, 6:57 am

Hi Littlepiglocksmith
That experience sounds terrifying. Personally I chose risk-less methods to unwind, (for sleep and anxiety) a secure indoor experience like meditation as mentioned (my current fav is the free guided audio series from meditation society of Australia) I also find exercise routine and a strict diet great for releasing/controlling the excess energy which at times impacts on my anxiety levels. I feel concerned for anyone walking alone after midnight, and your bodys response indicates a healthy adrenaline rush reaction to a fight or flight situation, yet you say its not the first time to happen, do you do this often?
I shake in interviews, in public speaking situations, most times I perceive a threat (rational or irrational :-)) I regularly challenge myself to overcome irrational fears by doing them. When I shake I'll lock my hands onto something steady this helps instantly, when my voice trembles I ignore it, and use meditation style breathing as subtly as possible to control the observable signs of nervousness, and the anxiety or trembling passes. I hope this is of use, take care of yourself.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 7:16 am

I don't think you can change that overnight. You have to build your confidence little by little by experiencing situations. I think you need inner confidence. You can't really fake it.

But please don't go out at such a time. Whether you tremble or not, murderers will kill you if they want to. I hear the US is a very dangerous country. Going out at night in the US is almost killing yourself, isn't it?

Rabbers
Toucan
Toucan

27 Dec 2013, 8:20 am

I would second the advice that if this is something that has happened more than once then maybe it's not that safe to be out alone at night. Maybe you could get a treadmill or something for if you can't sleep and want to exercise?
I think trembling when confronted with 3 armed people is a completely natural, instinctive reaction and I doubt there's much you can do about that other than try your best to avoid those situations.
If you find yourself anxious at other times I find breathing exercises can really help. Or if there is something worrying you trying not to let your thoughts run away with you and to think of things more rationally. Writing stuff down can help too.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

27 Dec 2013, 9:13 am

it is difficult to face your fears. you were already having troubles, that is why you went for a walk. I would not recommend doing that again, unless you grow some balls, and carry a gun yourself, and make sure they see it. the gun is never a solution for anything other than an equalizer, and it really does feel comforting just to have one. you are taking risks doing that, and you might have to use it, or get shot, but that is how america stands. the only way to really feel comfortable around people like that is to let them know that you're not any different from them, and you will throw down at the drop of a hat if you need to. dealing with bullies are only difficult for me at work. unfortunately, you cannot just make those manipulating freaks bleed without loosing your job, and or going to jail. it sounds to me like they were not really bullying you. they were just white people wearing black, soaking up the darkness, with guns, instilling fear. probably some amish gangster wannabes that watch too much t.v.