Page 2 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

StarCity
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 2:52 pm

The way I see it is that the whole world needs to take a cure pill.
Just look at it. It is pathetic.
As people diagnosed with what the rest of the world sees as a deficit we see things as they are in 'black & white'. The fact is that either something is, or something isn't. Also, we appreciate that certain things should be up to the individual to decide.

I say; let one of us run for president & put the world into order, coz the NT's are crap at it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVnvNhiM9kg[/youtube]

It isn't natural for me, but it enables me to "fit in".
It is VERY tiring and draining, but at least we can appear like them even though it is an act. Like being on the stage.
They can't see it is emulation, and so we are accepted.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 6:11 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Willard wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Yes, and I have, as I've shared transparently in the thread linked in my signature. I've reduced my various & numerous symptoms by more than 95% - some of them have been completely eliminated.

Yeah, you've certainly cured yourself of yammering on and on and on about your personal obsessive interest. :roll:

Glad to hear your motor skills are improving and all that, but that's not really what AS is about.

When are you going to wake up to the fact that you cannot cure yourself of autism and if you think you have, you're delusional. Just because you think you don't seem odd anymore, doesn't mean the rest of the world can't still clearly see your eccentric behaviors.

I continue to go on about it because of how much this has helped in every area of ASD. I'm not lying, it's not a hoax. I hope it helps others.

I'm very well aware that AS is about a lot more than motor skills, and as I've stated, virtually all symptoms have been reduced to near zero and it's truly changing my entire life.

when are you going to accept the possibility that it can be cured? If it's of the same cause, that is. I'm not delusional, I'm living it. It's not me that doesn't think I seem odd anymore, it's everyone around me and their feedback. You're not around me and haven't had a chance to observe me, but if you're anywhere nearby I'd gladly meet with you and you can assess me for yourself.

It's definitely helped me. I used to be considered moderate functioning. Now, some people doubt I even have Asperger's. When I was twelve a psychiatrist I visited was skeptical about my diagnosis. I was quite a bit worse back then.

shortcircuit3
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Dec 2013, 7:55 pm

no, for multiple reasons.

but in all honesty, even if a cure were applied to my experience there's no guarantee my life would be more functional or desirable than it is now. i might end up a pseudo-neurotypical with a whole new host of P-NT challenges i wouldn't know how to cope with because i'd have spent my entire life adapting to the challenges that come along with my present neurological set-up. i think real contentment for me will come from accepting what i have, as opposed to the addition of more unknown variables.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 8:12 pm

It's interesting that the main opposition to treatment or a cure seems to be fear of the unknown and assuming that an effective treatment or cure would add a different set of big scary problems to deal with.

Ironically, the point of a treatment or cure would be to remove the negative effects of having Autism and make people much more on par with the NT world all around them, which would mean that social interactions and a myriad of other things would become natural, intuitive & fluid vs. being a whole new set of problems and challenges to overcome.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 8:45 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
It's interesting that the main opposition to treatment or a cure seems to be fear of the unknown and assuming that an effective treatment or cure would add a different set of big scary problems to deal with.

Ironically, the point of a treatment or cure would be to remove the negative effects of having Autism and make people much more on par with the NT world all around them, which would mean that social interactions and a myriad of other things would become natural, intuitive & fluid vs. being a whole new set of problems and challenges to overcome.

It is a realistic fear. How many times have we seen wonder drugs, food etc have unintended side effects? How many times have we seen these effects denied by authorities, the ones claiming bad effects called crackpots, only to find out "loony's" were right?.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 8:55 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

It is a realistic fear. How many times have we seen wonder drugs, food etc have unintended side effects? How many times have we seen these effects denied by authorities, the ones claiming bad effects called crackpots, only to find out "loony's" were right?.

I suppose it's a realistic fear to have of pharmaceutical drugs, especially given the long list of potential side effects most of them come with, including suicidal thoughts and/or death.

But I say this as someone who's utilized natural treatments & diet to greatly reduce my symptoms without having any negative side effects, so my perspective is significantly different.

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 9:00 pm

I don't care if they find a cure (if there is one). My only worry is that a cure becomes mandatory instead of a choice. I want to be able to choose. But to be completely honest, I like who I am. I just wish other people around me could be more open minded.

RichardJ
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 9:48 pm

goldfish21 wrote:

More on par with NTs? What is exactly is this par? Taking a half hour to do worthless small-talk to in the end, only ask one worth-full question? (sarcasm) Everything would be a lot more efficient if everyone were aspies.

Last edited by RichardJ on 29 Dec 2013, 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 10:17 pm

RichardJ wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

More on par with NTs? What is exactly is this par? Taking a half hour to do worthless small-talk to in the end, only ask one worth-full question? (sarcasm) Everything would be a lot more efficient if everyone were aspies.

I actually enjoy smalltalk if I'm talking to someone interesting. Unfortunately this is not usually the case. I don't think everything would be more efficient if everyone was an Aspie. Aspies have too many problems with executive function.

Dan0192837465
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Dec 2013, 10:27 pm

Without a shadow of a doubt. I'd prefer it was a one off change, than having to take a chemical kosh, resulting in a dose dependant addiction. Never being a person to be satisfied, an inauspicious thought would go through my mind, it's a ruddy shame I've spent some of the best years of my life going through the trauma with AS affecting every single area of my being. Rather than having the advantage of a 'cure' when I was about five years old. The precursor to this sort of debate on how I generally approach the issue is, 'would you choose to be born without having AS or would you still be born keeping your AS untouched'.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 10:55 pm

I would definitely like to be cured of my sensory issues and ADHD symptoms. As for the rest... If I could be upgraded to the very highest-functioning end of the autistic spectrum, I'd be happy with that. Able to get by in the world, yet still feel like myself in terms of basic personality.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 11:07 pm

No.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 11:41 pm

Willard wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Yes, and I have, as I've shared transparently in the thread linked in my signature. I've reduced my various & numerous symptoms by more than 95% - some of them have been completely eliminated.

Yeah, you've certainly cured yourself of yammering on and on and on about your personal obsessive interest. :roll:

Glad to hear your motor skills are improving and all that, but that's not really what AS is about.

When are you going to wake up to the fact that you cannot cure yourself of autism and if you think you have, you're delusional. Just because you think you don't seem odd anymore, doesn't mean the rest of the world can't still clearly see your eccentric behaviors.

I agree. You're obsessing over your 'success' reminds me of the time between Late 2009 and 2011 when I was going on about how I got my life back on track and I can't believe how decent I look, and I've got a great role model that I look like a younger version of and I like the 60s again.

I know that type of behaviour, because I used to engage in it. I'm sure the above poster knows what I'm talking about.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 11:50 pm

Yeah... it's pretty obsessive. But most of us on here are obsessive. Because, y'know, we're autistic. So we can deal with obsessive; we're used to it.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 2:13 am

What about instead of a cure, a life that includes, well a life (for me this is what I would like). A life means more friends, dating guys and finding "the one." Also a secure job that I like and feel comfortable doing without too much stress. That is my dream at the moment to have "a life."

Sare
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Dec 2013, 3:42 am

Nope, I wouldn't take a cure.