Page 1 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 5:37 pm

This thread is not about Autism Speaks. There are plenty of threads for that including on ongoing contentious one. I do expect a cure(s) to be found so it is time to start thinking about it.

I would be extremely leery and probably would not of take a general Autism cure for reasons that have been discussed before. At 56 years old if I take one the long term implications would be unknown. The effects of changing a large part of who I am at this late stage in my life I would find way too problematic.

If a cure came out specifically for Executive Function disorders and has been correctly studied and tested or parts of it I would have to give it serious consideration as these have been true "disorders" for parts of my life.

If a cure came out for motor coordination I would give it some consideration as it has hindered me but not to a crippling degree so I would be leery of it.

I would probably not take a "sensory" cure as it has been very mild or non existent compared with most of the posters. The effects of sensory stimulation on myself may be strong but subtle. It is still something I am not sure about.

If a cure came out for Black and White thinking, resistance to change I doubt I would take it. I doubt I would take a cure for anything that has to do with my way of thinking outside of Executive Function. We are getting into the turning me into robot zone.

I can not give a definitive yes or no to these questions as these cures are hypothetical. No matter how desperate you are, anything that involves changing something in your brain needs extreme scrutiny.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 5:41 pm

If I could know that it would work for sure I would. If it's in an "experimental stage" I wouldn't because I don't want to end up more disabled than I was before.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 6:01 pm

I wouldn't even consider it.

Everything I am, for good or ill, I am because of they way my brain works. Every aspect of my personality has been shaped by the fact that I am easily overwhelmed by sensory stimuli, which has determined the way in which I respond to social interaction, which in turn caused my entire personality to be gradually molded into what it is now. Taking a "cure" would be like dropping a bomb to wipe out 80% of my identity. I don't know what that would leave, but I have zero interest in finding out.

Besides, having had over 50 years to get used to seeing things the way I do, radically altering my sensory perceptions might be such a shock to the psyche that it could lead to some sort of psychosis no one could foresee.

Honestly, I don't see any kind of cure coming down the pike anytime soon. They're not even sure yet what exactly constitutes autism within the brain - for a long time they thought it was too few sensory receptors, now they're realizing it's probably the opposite, that we have too many and that's why we can't filter all the excess sensory "noise" out like neurotypicals do. They haven't had much luck at all identifying exactly where it occurs along the genome and that's beginning to look like it may be several separate kinks, instead of just one. I think autism is going to be a very tricky condition to try to "cure."

I'm much more concerned that they'll develop an in utero test that simply identifies the risk for ASD in general, and people will start aborting any fetus that runs the risk of having any type of autistic disorder.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 6:04 pm

AAAARRRRGGGGG! :lol:

devark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Dec 2013, 6:07 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
If a cure came out specifically for Executive Function disorders and has been correctly studied and tested or parts of it I would have to give it serious consideration as these have been true "disorders" for parts of my life.

This personally, is about as far as I would take it.

RoboTastic
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Dec 2013, 6:09 pm

In a heartbeat.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 6:13 pm

And how many topics have been open on this subject? Well lets see. here are a few and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

www.wrongplanet.net/postt231815.html
www.wrongplanet.net/postt237346.html
www.wrongplanet.net/postt214278.html
www.wrongplanet.net/postt243234.html

aspie_giraffe
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Dec 2013, 6:16 pm

if there was a cure for anxiety id take it, otherwise nope nope nope

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 6:46 pm

Yes, and I have, as I've shared transparently in the thread linked in my signature. I've reduced my various & numerous symptoms by more than 95% - some of them have been completely eliminated. I'm happier & healthier than I have ever been in my entire life. If you haven't read the thread yet, I implore you to do so. Bear in mind I am not selling anything & do not want anything in return, especially not money. I'm simply sharing what I've learned and what has helped me tremendously. If you'd like to know more or have any questions/comments about it, feel free to PM me. Same goes for anyone reading this.

Addressing the specifics in the OP:

I'm 31 years old, so the dramatic changes are welcome as I feel I'm still plenty young enough to lead a long good life ahead of me in terms of work, finances, relationships etc. My mother, otoh, is 59 & very reluctant to make the changes I have in order to get the benefits as she's rather stuck in her ways and says she doesn't know if she can do what I've done. I don't harp on her about it, but I continue to encourage her to try, as what she's doing now isn't working and she's getting worse because of it. Hopefully she comes around to the idea sooner rather than later. Time will tell. Same goes for my siblings and others. I think my sister & one of my cousins will be the next to start this process, and then hopefully they're able to convince my mother and others to give it a shot vs. just me saying it's worked wonders.

As you'll see in the thread, cutting out & detoxing salicylate acids greatly improved my executive functions. Aside from not consuming them, I did it using magnesium sulphate (epsom salt) lotion.

My balance, motor coordination, fine motor skills etc have also all improved dramatically. Several months ago I'd have never trusted myself to do the job I'm doing now. Now I'm up 40' in the air doing ironwork & structural steel roofing, walking out on narrow beams etc. In the past I've envied guys able to do these jobs; now I've joined them for the time being. I'm enjoying the work, but don't intend to retire doing this as I have other career ambitions.

Sensory issues have subsided as well, especially my hypersensitive hearing/audio sensory overload.

My black & white thinking and resistance to change have improved dramatically as well - along with pretty much every symptom.

Of course it needs extreme scrutiny. But I've found that it hasn't required changing something in my brain directly via pharmaceuticals designed to work on the brain, but rather by healing digestive tract issues that were wreaking havoc on my brain functions. The treatment protocol I've followed has been to heal the digestive issues, and in doing that it's improved my brain functions like night and day. I'm very real, very serious, and this is not a hoax as some have suggested.

Again, I reiterate: I'm not selling anything. I'm not asking for anything in return. I don't want anyone's money. I'm sharing what has worked like an absolute miracle for me and has allowed me to get back to living life in a big way, like I've never known, really, and I hope it can & does help others.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 7:29 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Yes, and I have, as I've shared transparently in the thread linked in my signature. I've reduced my various & numerous symptoms by more than 95% - some of them have been completely eliminated.

I have read your thread. My mom did a lot of those things for me when I was younger. I used to be on a strict gluten and dairy free diet. I also took a lot of supplements. I'm not on the diet anymore, but I still take supplements. It helps with a few things, but I still have a lot of problems with fatigue and executive function. A few years ago I used to have brain fog. Luckily most of the fog is gone. Hopefully my executive function will be normal when I'm older.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 7:33 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Yes, and I have, as I've shared transparently in the thread linked in my signature. I've reduced my various & numerous symptoms by more than 95% - some of them have been completely eliminated.

I have read your thread. My mom did a lot of those things for me when I was younger. I used to be on a strict gluten and dairy free diet. I also took a lot of supplements. I'm not on the diet anymore, but I still take supplements. It helps with a few things, but I still have a lot of problems with fatigue and executive function. A few years ago I used to have brain fog. Luckily most of the fog is gone. Hopefully my executive function will be normal when I'm older.

Are you on any stimulant medications for ADHD that would deplete magnesium & sulphur from your body? Especially if so, I recommend using epsom salts on your skin regularly in order to detox any salicylate acid buildup. Foot soaks are best but inconvenient, which is why I made a lotion that I use daily. It takes months, but bit by bit over time, detoxing the acid buildup GREATLY improved my executive functions.

dottsie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Dec 2013, 7:53 pm

Definately not. Maybe for executive dysfunction like OP said, but other than that, I wouldn't want to ever be "cured". Aspergers is a part of who I am, and if I suddenly wasn't autistic anymore, I would probably be pretty unhappy.

I might respect Autism Speaks a bit more if they had A LOT more autistic people on their board, and if they quit portraying autism as an evil, terrible thing. It might be difficult to have sometimes, but it has positive aspects as well as negative.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 8:06 pm

I would like to have less social anxiety, but other than that, I wouldn't want a cure.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 8:14 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Are you on any stimulant medications for ADHD that would deplete magnesium & sulphur from your body? Especially if so, I recommend using epsom salts on your skin regularly in order to detox any salicylate acid buildup. Foot soaks are best but inconvenient, which is why I made a lotion that I use daily. It takes months, but bit by bit over time, detoxing the acid buildup GREATLY improved my executive functions.

No. I was once on anti-anxiety medication for a week or so. It improved my executive function, but I got brain fog. Other than that I've never taken medication. I used to use have baths with Epsom salts. Maybe I should use them again.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 9:30 pm

No. I have no interest in something that would make me more "normal".

Diagnosed in 2005

RichardJ
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 9:50 pm

No!! ! I would absolutely not! It would change me too much!
Even if I did want a cure, the cure would probably involve a lot of shots. You nearly have to strap me down for one flu shot.