Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 8:09 am

I feel more like an introverted NT than an Aspie.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 8:30 am

The crucial difference between NTs and Aspies is that,

Aspies do not have a pack mentality, while NTs do.

Introverted NTs might feel left outside - Aspies really feel completely disconnected from the NT-synergy, as if they are standing watching it all from the outside in. You are not in doubt when you feel this way, so I would say you should have tried that if you are aspie.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 8:51 am

qawer wrote:

Introverted NTs might feel left outside - Aspies really feel completely disconnected from the NT-synergy, as if they are standing watching it all from the outside in. You are not in doubt when you feel this way, so I would say you should have tried that if you are aspie.

Yeah def. Everyone is like ppl I watch on TV. Even my family to a degree. Being around others is like being in the Matrix or a holodeck simulation on Star Trek. It really is like when I am in my room, I'm in the real world. And when I have to go to school or wherever, it's like an artificial environment. And also like if you were in a foreign country and everybody was a stranger with strange customs - I feel very disconnected from them.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 9:08 am

I can feel as if my life is completely seperate from that of NTs. Like, we are in the same world, and can interact and affect each other, but our lives run on completely different lanes that do not touch each other. I can pretend to be on their lane, but I never truly feel I am.

Only when I feel someone else is disconnected do I feel I really connect with them.

droppy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jan 2014, 9:57 am

qawer wrote:

Ehm not only. That is actually subjective. Extroverted autistics exist and I've met many of them. They just didn't show it in "socially acceptable" ways (like, once a kid with MFA tried to attract my attention because he wanted to play with me by grabbing my coat and pulling it towards him, or other kids with LFA used to follow my mother because of the same reason). They seemed to like groups and looked connected to people as well.
The main difference between AS and simple introversion is that AS is a disability, introversion itself is not.
AS is:
Issues with facial expression/body language
Sensory issues
Motor skills issues
Lack of social skills
Accademic difficulties
Obsessions that prevent you from focusing on anything else
And more.
Introversion by itself has none of those characteristics.
Also, I met introvert NTs that stated they felt disconnected from people as well.
Personally I feel disconnected from most people, but I know that other autistics don't feel the same way I feel because everyone is different.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 10:29 am

DevilKisses wrote:

Aw, DevilKisses, I like you as an Aspie! You're a cool Aspie! Please stay on our side! :bounce:

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 10:39 am

JSBACHlover wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:

Aw, DevilKisses, I like you as an Aspie! You're a cool Aspie! Please stay on our side! :bounce:

Could you be more NT with that statement!? :D

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 10:42 am

droppy wrote:
qawer wrote:

Ehm not only. That is actually subjective. Extroverted autistics exist and I've met many of them. They just didn't show it in "socially acceptable" ways (like, once a kid with MFA tried to attract my attention because he wanted to play with me by grabbing my coat and pulling it towards him, or other kids with LFA used to follow my mother because of the same reason). They seemed to like groups and looked connected to people as well.
The main difference between AS and simple introversion is that AS is a disability, introversion itself is not.
AS is:
Issues with facial expression/body language
Sensory issues
Motor skills issues
Lack of social skills
Accademic difficulties
Obsessions that prevent you from focusing on anything else
And more.
Introversion by itself has none of those characteristics.
Also, I met introvert NTs that stated they felt disconnected from people as well.
Personally I feel disconnected from most people, but I know that other autistics don't feel the same way I feel because everyone is different.

Hi droppy.

What I was trying to say is that if you do have a true innate pack mentality, then you cannot be aspie. I did not mean to say that pack mentality is the only general characteristic that differs between aspies and NTs. I understand why that could be misunderstood.

Aspies as well as NTs can be introverted as well as extroverted.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 11:26 am

leafplant wrote:
JSBACHlover wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:

Could you be more NT with that statement!? :D

LOL wait a minute, what do you mean? Do you mean as in "pack mentality" stuff? Hey, look, we Aspies have our own kind of pack mentality. Think about it. I mean, what do you think holds WP together?

droppy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jan 2014, 12:37 pm

Quote:
What I was trying to say is that if you do have a true innate pack mentality, then you cannot be aspie. I did not mean to say that pack mentality is the only general characteristic that differs between aspies and NTs. I understand why that could be misunderstood. 

Aspies as well as NTs can be introverted as well as extroverted.

Uhm that makes more sense.
Sorry, I tend to misunderstand stuff that is said or written a lot.

Uhm anyway what do you mean by pack mentality?
If you mean that the lack of social skills causes a person with autism (introvert or extravert) not to know how to behave in a "socially acceptable" way in a group situation that makes sense.
What is the "pack mentality"?

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 1:58 pm

droppy wrote:
Uhm that makes more sense.
Sorry, I tend to misunderstand stuff that is said or written a lot.

Uhm anyway what do you mean by pack mentality?
If you mean that the lack of social skills causes a person with autism (introvert or extravert) not to know how to behave in a "socially acceptable" way in a group situation that makes sense.
What is the "pack mentality"?

I was not too clear about it either, so that is all understandable (-:

In the animal kingdom there are two basically different social structures among animals based on their hunting style:

1. Solo hunters
2. Group hunters.

Life is about survival for all animals (including humans), but different animals use different hunting styles in order to survive.

Solo hunters hunt by themselves, so it is crucial for them that they have continual access to hunting solo. Solo hunters do not have a pack mentality, since they do not need one, because they have no need to be able to fit into a group - it is more beneficial for solo hunters to use their brain capacity on other things that can in fact benefit their solo hunting. Social skills is of no help to a solo hunter, because he hunts solo. A solo hunter does not respond with obedience to punishment because he has no group to please. Solo hunters need independece to remain motivated, because otherwise they cannot freely hunt solo. An example of a solo hunter is the cat.

Group hunters hunt in packs/groups, so it is crucial for them that they have continual access to hunting in the group to which they belong. Group hunters have what is called pack mentality. That pack mentality ensures that the group hunter values the group and the social hierarchy higher than his individuality/integrity - this is extremely important in order to maintain strong and cohesive group dynamics in the pack. The brain of a group hunter in a natural way equips him with social skills that enables him to smoothly and easily join and function effectively in a group. A group hunter responds with obedience to punishment from leaders because he has a group to please. Group hunters need group-belonging to remain motivated, because otherwise they cannot hunt in a group. An example of a group hunter is the dog.

Now, Humans are group hunters! Meaning, they have an innate pack mentality. This is where people with Aspergers Syndrome fundamentally deviate from neurotypicals: people with AS are solo hunters! Meaning, they do not have an innate pack mentality.

So the AS-brain deviates from the NT-brain in a completely fundamental way.

Agathon
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jan 2014, 2:10 pm

Well, don't think only aspeis feel disconnected - there are schizoid people (who are even more disconnected than aspies), highly sensitive person can feel disconnected, and introverts do feel disconnected from many activities that others find all fun and pleasurable.

And not all NT's have pack mentality, I hate that term as it sounds so derogatory. Many are very strong individuals, independent... I mean, it's not like NT's are clones of one another, that is stereotyping.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Jan 2014, 2:16 pm

qawer wrote:

This is just your pet hypothesis and isn't really supported by autism experts. It also isn't particularly helpful, or accurate. Lots of autistic people don't realise they are "disconnected", and it is a common feeling amongst all walks of people to feel "disconnected"

The real difference between NTs and autistic people is that NTs do not have autism.

Agathon

01 Jan 2014, 2:39 pm

I felt disconnected only after being rejected many times by peers. Yes, I wanted to join, but usually found myself standing alone, either because activities of other kids didn't interest me (there was something more interesting like a certain toy or book or anything) or because I tried to impose my rules on certain games, or simply because I was annoying to others. For example, one girl in kindergarten got hit and cried, yet I thought she was laughing so I laughed. She got very angry about that, and that is not the only case. Other friend fell and broke his tooth. i swang him on some metal fence, and he was loosing balance and started screaming, but I thought he was having fun. So, bit by bit I felt more and more disconnected, but I rarely thought it is because of the way I am.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 5:42 pm

JSBACHlover wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:

Cool Aspie is an oxymoron.

ziarah
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Jan 2014, 8:03 pm

I may not be the right person to respond to this, because I am not an officially diagnosed AS individual, but I have traits of autism (including sensory sensitivity, literal thinking, I get easily overwhelmed and I'm driven to meltdowns if things don't go according to plan), and I'm also an introvert on top of that, in that I need a lot of "alone time" to recharge. Despite all that I enjoy having and spending (limited!) time with friends and loved ones; I enjoy that connection.