mental preparation: a great coping technique

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 9:26 am

hi, as some of you know i have adapted very very well and im still in the process of my complete ASD diagnoses, and right now, im actually tetortotering between HFA and Aspergers Syndrome. at first i was diagnosed as AS but then, i got some recent tests done and now we have to re-do some things because of my I.Q. Anyways

one technique i use to cope with changes, such as my routine and life in general is mental preparation. the way i do this is to be aware of a change that is going to happen in the future and replay it in your head, over and over and over again, plan out how you are going to act in the situation and also physically prepare in anyway you can. theres also exposure to routine changes that helped me A LOT. does anyone else use this technique to cope with both small and large changes?

also, at first, it was not easy one bit, but after i was forced to move 6 times, i learned this coping technique. although, havent gotten the hang of wearing different outfits yet. still stuck to one outfit.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 9:59 am

I do this too. Especially when I stared public school this year. I had the entire curriculum and schedule laid out. I took tours of the campus to familiarize myself with the layout. So I already had my routine set up before I started. I hate to think of how disorientating it would have been if I had not gone through it mentally ahead of time so much.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 10:08 am

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
hi, as some of you know i have adapted very very well and im still in the process of my complete ASD diagnoses, and right now, im actually tetortotering between HFA and Aspergers Syndrome. at first i was diagnosed as AS but then, i got some recent tests done and now we have to re-do some things because of my I.Q. Anyways

one technique i use to cope with changes, such as my routine and life in general is mental preparation. the way i do this is to be aware of a change that is going to happen in the future and replay it in your head, over and over and over again, plan out how you are going to act in the situation and also physically prepare in anyway you can. theres also exposure to routine changes that helped me A LOT. does anyone else use this technique to cope with both small and large changes?

also, at first, it was not easy one bit, but after i was forced to move 6 times, i learned this coping technique. although, havent gotten the hang of wearing different outfits yet. still stuck to one outfit.

You were forced to move 6 times? What is going on up there in Canada? If you don't mind me asking, where are your parents?

I have always respected the contents of your posts and sense that you are wise beyond your years. So it makes me sad to hear this.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 11:08 am

JSBACHlover wrote:
ZombieBrideXD wrote:

You were forced to move 6 times? What is going on up there in Canada? If you don't mind me asking, where are your parents?

I have always respected the contents of your posts and sense that you are wise beyond your years. So it makes me sad to hear this.

it has nothing to do with canada, my parents just split up and i was moved back onto a native reserve with my dad, i had lived on a reserve since i was 10 and then moved to the city for 3 years until my parent split and lived with my dad on the reserve, unfortenutely the schools werent working out and i was getting ostrigized from the other kids so i deceided to move in with my mom to continue going to the school in the city since i had made friends there and the teachers knew me, unfortenutely she put me in a completely different school and i was picked on more than ever. after a year she moved to calgary and i moved back in with my dad and then we moved 3 or 4 times after that simply because we found better places to live.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 11:12 am

Divorce. My folks divorced, too. The murder of a family. That's what divorce is.
Reservation? Are you a native, or am I reading you wrong?
It seems you have had your lifetime share of suffering already. I pray to the BVM that you have a happier year.
(Hope you don't mind how I pray).
Yours,
JSBL

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 11:17 am

JSBACHlover wrote:
Divorce. My folks divorced, too. The murder of a family. That's what divorce is.
Reservation? Are you a native, or am I reading you wrong?
It seems you have had your lifetime share of suffering already. I pray to the BVM that you have a happier year.
(Hope you don't mind how I pray).
Yours,
JSBL

yes i am native. and thank you

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 11:24 am

I hope you gain your independence from all that bull**** and can be your own person soon. I've always admired the intelligence of your posts. You have too much to offer the world (and yourself) to be living in such a strange prison.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 5:50 pm

That really is quite a life story.

I too was surprised when I realized you were only 16, you have a much more mature voice. Maybe you could write a self help book for Aspie kids, it might be fun for you and could help them a lot.

My parents got divorced too (twice actually, because they were dumb enough to remarry once), but thank goodness we didn't move around too much.

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 6:00 pm

I mentally prepare myself as well, particularly if I am going to the doctors or going somewhere I am not used to. the worst thing is if you go somewhere that you don't know what it looks like because its harder to mentally prepare yourself.

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 8:45 pm

I found out just recently that mental preperation for every little thing that happens including fun events actually leads to disaster. So as an experiment I decided to not plan and it worked out better. There were no expectations and no freezing up because someone else decided to interject their own plans which I did not plan for. So far it works for only fun events and I now no longer plan for anything that involves having fun leaving me not having such a horrible time.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 8:50 pm

franknfurter wrote:
I mentally prepare myself as well, particularly if I am going to the doctors or going somewhere I am not used to. the worst thing is if you go somewhere that you don't know what it looks like because its harder to mentally prepare yourself.

i meltdown if i cannot mentally prepare myself. so i try to avoid those situations best i can

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 11:26 pm

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
franknfurter wrote:

i meltdown if i cannot mentally prepare myself. so i try to avoid those situations best i can

so do I if possible, I had to go to a university interview where I did not know the area and did not know what the structure for the interview would be, would not wish it on anyone.

if I am not stressed about where I am going mentally preparing myself is not as important

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 4:41 am

wozeree wrote:
That really is quite a life story.

I too was surprised when I realized you were only 16, you have a much more mature voice. Maybe you could write a self help book for Aspie kids, it might be fun for you and could help them a lot.

My parents got divorced too (twice actually, because they were dumb enough to remarry once), but thank goodness we didn't move around too much.

In general I find the teenagers on this board write in a much more mature manner then teenagers and most adults on boards for all neurotypes. .

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman