Having aspergers is like having hit the lottery.

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lightbender88
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Mar 2008, 11:09 am

I resisted the dx for years thinking it would just lead to forced medication. Now i have found out about all the amazing stuff you cant for having aspergers. For one the govement through the divison of vocational rehabilitation is gonna completly pay for my college. just as good- my state has a program where if you have autism the state will give 50,000 dollars for two years to spend however which you want in exchange for signing off that you will not take any other kind of state services.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 11:31 am

what country is that? woah!

lightbender88
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Mar 2008, 12:01 pm

usa

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 12:53 pm

I want to live in America.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 12:57 pm

I'm jealous...

Azpy
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Mar 2008, 1:15 pm

What state is this?

deadeyexx
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 2:04 pm

Azpy wrote:
What state is this?

Unfortunately, we'll never know as this guy is now banned it seems. I wonder if part of his settlement was to keep quiet about the awesome deal he got? lol

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 3:13 pm

Why was he banned? I just went through all of his posts (there's only 11) and didn't see anything worse than things I've written at times. Actually, I didn't see anything that was all that objectionable unless someone disapproved of the "hitting the lottery" comment. Even so, I don't see how that merits banning.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 3:16 pm

it's completely true. It's through the Dept. of Labor. It's for special needs people. If you get hooked up with a good worker, he or she will be able to do those things like pay for car repair, pay for your books plus some if not all of your tuition and lots of other stuff so long as it applies to you getting into the workforce.

I was hooked up with them in the early 90's but I really didn't know what they could offer me so I left.

My sister wound up working for them as a clerk/typist and she was able to tell me the wonders of being enrolled in their program.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 3:31 pm

digger1 wrote:
it's completely true. It's through the Dept. of Labor. It's for special needs people. If you get hooked up with a good worker, he or she will be able to do those things like pay for car repair, pay for your books plus some if not all of your tuition and lots of other stuff so long as it applies to you getting into the workforce.

I was hooked up with them in the early 90's but I really didn't know what they could offer me so I left.

My sister wound up working for them as a clerk/typist and she was able to tell me the wonders of being enrolled in their program.

How do you go about getting those benefits? I could seriously use some help with college expenses.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 3:48 pm

Orwell wrote:
digger1 wrote:

How do you go about getting those benefits? I could seriously use some help with college expenses.

Can you convince them to pay for your doctorate because your AS means you need special help, when you have a 4.0 GPA in your BS and MA?

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 4:02 pm

I don't know if they'll pay for you to get a doctorate.

Orwell, just contact your local Dept. of Labor. Be warned, there's a long waiting list.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 6:59 pm

digger1 wrote:
I don't know if they'll pay for you to get a doctorate.

Orwell, just contact your local Dept. of Labor. Be warned, there's a long waiting list.

No, I don't think I could live with myself if I actually did something like that. There are people who genuinely need help, and I shouldn't take away from them. Anyways, that would make my laissez-faire Libertarianism a tad bit hypocritical.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 7:02 pm

lightbender88 wrote:
usa

And what state?

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 7:03 pm

Man, I so need a citizenship here!

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 10:56 pm

I've lived in the USA my whole life and I've never heard of that. I had a friend who was on SSI for a psych DX. She got some free money (not enough to live on) and free insurance, but in exchange, she was required to take meds. She was also required to tell employers she was on it, and what her DX was. Even if she didn't, it would show up in a background check. I don't know if that would be worth it.