Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2014, 5:40 pm

Meistersinger wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Meistersinger wrote:

How busy were the rest of the checkouts? If they're standing 3 or more customers deep with all lines open and filled with customers, I'd keep my mouth shut, unless you want it slapped shut, as pointing out rules in that situation is considered extremely rude.

And before you jump my arse, that is exactly what my parents did to me when I was your age, screaming if you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all, as they slapped my face.

Meh since when did psychically abusing someone solve anything?
Especially psychically abusing someone who is developmentally disabled?
Im not sure what you are trying to endorse here.

Take note of my age. Developmental disabilities did not exist while I was growing up. Besides, the mantra in my neck of the woods was spare the rod and spoil the child, disability or no.

Going to do the black and white thinking thing here. Of course developmental disabilities existed back in our youth. They were just known by some very unflattering names

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 3:10 am

Meistersinger wrote:
Take note of my age. Developmental disabilities did not exist while I was growing up. Besides, the mantra in my neck of the woods was spare the rod and spoil the child, disability or no.

Meistersinger wrote:
I'd keep my mouth shut, unless you want it slapped shut

I still dont get what you are trying to get across.
Is it that if i were in your care, you would belt me across the mouth to teach me a lesson?
Is that what they mean by cycle of abuse?
Besides belting me across the mouth would only trigger an
atomic meltdown, rather than get through to me in any way.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 3:40 am

EzraS wrote:
Meistersinger wrote:

Developmental disabilities did not exist in 1970? I think they did
and you just had abusive parents - and why you are suggesting
such abuse be applied to me is still something I dont get.
Besides belting me across the mouth would only trigger an
atomic meltdown, rather than get through to me in any way.

Uh no, that the way parenting was done back in the days. My mom was raised with being hit by her father whenever he got mad because that was what he was taught to do when he was a child, his parents were hitters. My grandmother was more verbal, she would resort to name calling and call my mom names like dumb bunny whenever she messed up or made a mistake or when she would try and help out. Then of course their parenting changed with their three younger kids because they had them in the 1960's and by then parenting was changing and people found out there were better ways of raising children then yelling and screaming and slapping and hitting and name calling. My mom will say she was not abused because that was the way parenting was done back in her days. Now it would be abuse but in the 1950's and 60's no. It was the 60's when things started to change about raising kids according to my mother and a doctor named Spock wrote a book about another way of raising children.

I call it old fashion parenting advice when someone brings up whips or slapping for bad behavior and other parenting methods that were common in the days. I just figure they are that old and are still stuck on the old parenting methods that are longer in use that would be considered bad parenting today and abuse.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 7:02 am

First, I learned a few years back to just stop caring about some rules. If that person has 20 in a line for 10 or less, I might get upset, but not for a few over. Just not worth getting upset anymore (a benefit of getting older perhaps).

Second, those "express" lines aren't always faster. If there are 3 or more people in line, you actually can get through faster on a regular line if you're next. The payment process takes a good chunk of time, and a good cashier can scan through a lot of items in no time at all.

droppy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jan 2014, 7:27 am

I don't because I usually am oblivious to rules/don't like most rules.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 8:26 am

Well, I was at Walmart on a busy Sunday and they have the bank style express lanes. Some guy had two FULL carts and I have to tell you it was hard not to snap on him. It's one thing to have 13 items but he had to have known a) it was OBVIOUSLY an express lane and b)the carts could barely fit for a reason.

One thing that REALLY got me upset was when I was in a rush to get my skates sharpened. I had tried several times and they were always really busy but this time I couldn't come back another time. The clerk said "You've been a good customer and I know you can't play like this so I will do yours next. I thanked him but on the way out another person VERY loudly proclaimed "I guess you think you are better than everyone else! Hope you have a rotten Christmas you Grinch!" Everyone looked at me as a line jumper when THEY insisted I do it. Besides I DID wait my turn I just didn't leave my $600 skates unattended. See, NTs can be "enforcers" too even when they have no business doing so.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 12:56 pm

I notice rules being broken some of the time, too. For instance, my University's library has this notice that comes up on computer monitors that says, "This computer is to be used for scholarly purposes only" yet I see people using those computers for Facebook, Farmville, and streaming sports games and anime all the time. Most of the time I don't care, but when I only have half an hour to fix something on Microsoft Word before a class, print something out, etc, and ALL the computers are occupied mostly by those just goofing off on them, that's when I get annoyed. I don't like to make a scene, though, so I don't usually say anything.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes