Is Aspergers Syndrome more disabling than Down Syndrome?

Page 5 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2014, 12:01 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I think it depends on the individual and how severe their case of autism or downs syndrome is.

The word he choose was "aspergers", not "autism".

LFA folks maybe as bad off as DS folks.

But if you're taking the LFA's off the table, and are only comparing the high end of the austism spectrum to DS people then-there is no comparison. DS folks are far more disabled than aspies (or HFAs). I never met, nor heard of a DS person classified as "high functioning".

You don't really need to be a rocket scientist to know that's what he mean't. I don't really know if it's because of changes in DSMV and preferences for diagnosis but plenty of posts on WP nowadays use the term autism when they really are aiming their posts at Aspergers. So I guess that can cause confusion.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2014, 12:21 am

Down's has exactly one thing over Asperger's: A spot on Sesame Street.

http://www.sanys.org/DownSyndromeLowdown.htm

I somehow imagine, based on my very limited experience of the two Downies I knew in high school, that it's sort of like autism: If you've met one person with Down's, you've met one person with Down's. The two people I knew in high school were polar opposites: One was sweet-tempered, funny, friendly, happy-natured, and quite popular, while the other was grouchy, aggressive, prone to mock and taunt others, sulky, and generally avoided except by a small group of mean girls who treated him like a zoo exhibit and bait him into doing things that would get him into trouble.

One, I note, had early childhood intervention, parents who loved her dearly, an extended family that embraced her-- you know, in general, all the necessary elements of a good childhood. The other one came from a wealthy family that was ashamed of him and did everything in their power to keep him out of sight and out of mind. I'll let you decide which kid went with which family. :evil: :cry:

I think the fact that we're sitting here having a discussion about which group has it worse, which group is worse, and who does/does not deserve life or would/would not be better off dead mostly just shows how brainwashed WE ARE by all the negative media s**t. :cry: 8O :cry: 8O :cry: 8O :cry: 8O :cry: 8O :cry: 8O :cry: 8O :cry: