Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 2:32 pm

Slapstick humor isn't funny to me.

Seeing people hurt makes me wince, not laugh. I don't understand how anyone finds comedy based in pain funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5ZOK5ia_A0

I look at something like this and it just seems nasty. No humor in it.

The closest I have seen to this that seemed funny was Monty Python… there are some slapstick bits there that do make me laugh, but I think that has more to do with incongruity than pain.

dc2610
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Jan 2014, 3:01 pm

I don't get Monty Python at all but I love the 3 Stooges. I just think different types of entertainment appeals to different people. I also love the Honeymooners but I know people who can't stand it because of all the yelling.

doofy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 3:05 pm

Slapstick makes me hurt by proxy.

I like Fawlty Towers, but it is a guilty pleasure cos I empathise too much with Basil.

Any humour predicated upon anothers misfortune I find really disturbing.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 3:06 pm

I do "get" it but can easily understand why a person on the spectrum would not get it. It is completely based on body language. A literal person who misunderstands body language would think the intentionally exaggerated pain displayed by the comediennes for comedic effect is real when it is not. Lasting effects from bullying may also be a factor.

This link explains whey this is funny to the majority and discusses the history of the genre
http://www.filmreference.com/encycloped ... omedy.html

There is a lot less of this exaggerated slapstick then when I grew up.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 3:29 pm

I HATE slapstick.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 3:48 pm

I "get" it but it's not funny to me at all. It's just boring.

Voider
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jan 2014, 5:02 pm

I can never understand why "slapstick" is considered funny either. Also, I can't stand the Three Stooges, even though they are claimed to be one of the greatest comedy acts of all time.

BornThisWay
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jan 2014, 5:40 pm

Wow...I never really gave much thought to this topic, but I never liked the Jerry Lewis or 3 Stooges type of 'comedy'...it simply was not funny. And yeah, I don't find anything based on bullying or pain humorous either. Though I do like parts of Monty Python and elaborate concept pieces where a bully or other power figure gets 'sent up' or pulled down a peg or two.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 7:06 pm

Adamantium wrote:
Slapstick humor isn't funny to me.

Seeing people hurt makes me wince, not laugh. I don't understand how anyone finds comedy based in pain funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5ZOK5ia_A0

I look at something like this and it just seems nasty. No humor in it.

The closest I have seen to this that seemed funny was Monty Python… there are some slapstick bits there that do make me laugh, but I think that has more to do with incongruity than pain.

I didn't look at the video, but you mentioned people being hurt as part of slapstick.

I'm thinking "The Stooges".

Part of why people laugh at, for example, the Three Stooges, is that it's so impossible. "Who would do that?!?!"

A lot of humor involves something unexpected, you didn't see it coming and it surprises you.

Granted, after seeing a few of the old Stooges shorts, you know what's likely coming, but it still hits you as "No!! !"

It's so ridiculous and stupid, it's funny. A friend of mine has seen people from non-American cultures come to the States and get exposed to the Stooges. Invariably, the guys start laughing in short order. Gals? Most of them say stuff like "That's terrible!"

Not much different from American female reactions.

Thing is, Lucille Ball did some slapstick, and I think both men and women laughed. Maybe because it was a woman doing it, and somehow that got thru to even the ladies in the audience?

Slapstick involves stuff that NOBODY would do in real life (not without legal penalties, usually), but since we know this is staged adn not real, the shock of seeing it happen is sidetracked, and it hits us as silly....funny.

Don't worry, tho'. Even some MALE neurotypicals don't like the Stooges, tho' they're rare.

If it isn't due to autism, it could just be your personal sense of humor and personality.

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

Sare
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2014, 7:09 pm

No, I don't find it funny. It's actually quite boring.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 7:14 pm

dc2610 wrote:
I don't get Monty Python at all but I love the 3 Stooges. I just think different types of entertainment appeals to different people. I also love the Honeymooners but I know people who can't stand it because of all the yelling.
That is really funny because I am your direct opposite. I totally love Monty Python and find them hilarious but I don't get what's funny in The Three Stooges. I never found them funny. I always knew other people did but I never understood why I never did. I tried to find the humor in that show but never quite managed to. But like someone posted above, Faulty Towers is Brilliant!

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 7:22 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I do "get" it but can easily understand why a person on the spectrum would not get it. It is completely based on body language. A literal person who misunderstands body language would think the intentionally exaggerated pain displayed by the comediennes for comedic effect is real when it is not. Lasting effects from bullying may also be a factor.

This link explains whey this is funny to the majority and discusses the history of the genre
http://www.filmreference.com/encycloped ... omedy.html

There is a lot less of this exaggerated slapstick then when I grew up.
I know it's not real but I never found it funny. The things they did were just not things that I thought were funny. They just seemed outlandish and ridiculous.

Wreck It Ralph

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 7:26 pm

the thing I find funny about the stooges are the funny boing and bonk sound fx - the rest of it is just stylized violence.

Wags
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jan 2014, 7:29 pm

When I was a toddler I found the three stooges hilarious. Nowadays I don't at all, I don't find people getting hurt funny. What I do find funny, is a cat trying to make a jump, but misses.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 7:30 pm

Yeah some of those extreme violent images would make me cringe. Even though I know they are not real just the thought of what they are actually portraying can be very disturbing and even sickening to me.

Wreck It Ralph

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 7:38 pm

skibum wrote:
Yeah some of those extreme violent images would make me cringe. Even though I know they are not real just the thought of what they are actually portraying can be very disturbing and even sickening to me.

what did you think about the boing and bonk [etc.] sound effects in those stooges bits?