Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 3:38 pm

I've been feeling a certain way that I believe began in the beginning of the week or maybe the middle it has been getting kinda worse and I don't know what it is, why, or what to do about it.

This week I have barely been able to do any work and this is bad because this week and next week our midterm week and the last week is regents week. feeling exhausted and sick but unable to sleep even less than usual it's like my mind is foggy and when I'm in school all I want to do is go home and then I go home I want to do is sleep possibly just be alone or Cawl into a Ball something like that.

Thinking about anything even writing this is gave me a headache and kind of confusion and hard for me to think clearly. I've Been able to write but I've been it have a unusual not really able to do spontaneously and I would always have to look in my post and correct it and stuff. And if I'm trying to talk to someone I won't make this as much sense as I usually do which is not much very often times i have trouble understanding and expressing my thoughts and feelings.

Well I'm also just really tired. But the problem is I still have a lot of work that's piling up because I just can't do it at the moment or maybe I'm just not motivated I don't know.

You ever feel like this?What can I do to get through my midterms and regent luckily I only have one but that is when I had previously failed and now whenever I try to study at my mind kind of gives up .

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

16 Jan 2014, 3:53 pm

If you're not having shutdowns, it seems like you're experiencing enough stress to trigger them.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 4:01 pm

personally, shutdowns usually dont last a week, id say you might be depressed.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 4:17 pm

It sounds like you are simply exhausted and your energy is just drained. Have you been eating well and staying hydrated? These are very important factors that can really affect how you feel and perform. You may need to get a really good sleep as well. Sometimes when I feel like that it is because my body and mind are just so tired that I need to sleep for about two days.

Wreck It Ralph

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 5:17 pm

might want to look into going to the doctors, it could be stress related, do you feel its caused by stress?

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 5:31 pm

Sounds like you are overwhelmed with so much to do.
Don't think about everything.
When this happens to me I try to focus on one thing at a time and not worry about the other things.
When I'm done with one thing, then I try to think of something else that needs to be done and do that.
You will start to feel less stressed as you see yourself making progress.
I hope this helps.
Try to get enough sleep and good luck with your midterms and regent.

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 6:12 pm

I think it's a combination of both what skibum and Marybird are saying. Eating well can be hard because in the morning I often times of a sore throat and my nose is stuffy and I don't feel like eating plus I barely have any time so what I do and sometimesI'll drink some tea or orange juice and then I'll leave other times I don't have anything. Sometimes I'll be able to eat or eat during school in one of my earlier classes. As for lunch but only allowed to eat in the cafeteria I really don't like going there sometimes again sometimes I'm just too busy or preoccupied with my interest. Plus my school is a closed campus so I can't go home to eat.

And plus sometimes I feel sick from not eating or from making up in the morning but I feel sick that it's not that I don't want to eat it's just like the set of food makes me feel vomit it's like a vicious cycle. I wish we had patches that could feed us nutrition that way eating it will be easier because it wouldn't just be an essential thing and we will be able to feel able enough when where are maul nutritioned to eat well and we would generally be healthier.

I also have a lot of work and I want to do well for the first marking period I made the honor roll and I want to fall behind plus I need to do my midterms and labs and stuff like that.

It's like I need a break or day or a few but I can't take one so I have to push myself even harder which makes me even more tired and sick it's not even then I don't want to do it I've lost interest in it it's just that I having trouble concentrating and as Marybird said I need to focus on one thing at a time and not think about the other things.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 8:40 pm

Sounds like me sometimes. By the way what are regents? I don't think we have that in the US. I have never heard of them anyway.

If I were you I would stay away from orange juice. It tends to spike my blood sugar levels. If you have congestion in the morning. I would try a nasal irrigation syringe if you can handle it. I use a neti pot but that has a bit of a learning curve. The syringe does the same thing but it is much easier to use. It will clear your sinuses and really help you breathe better. I also add a little neti pot salt to the warm water. If you try this use warm water. If the water is too cold your nasal passages will hurt something fierce but don't worry about it, that is not a danger, just uncomfortable. Once you figure out the right temp for the water it's fine.

Then I would prepare light meals the night before that you can eat and take with you, four to six of them. Try to put cinnamon in your diet as much as you can because that helps regulate blood sugar and try to eat mostly low glycemic index foods. You can find great lists of easy foods on the internet. But take small meals, like about a fistful or two and eat them as you go every couple of hours. If you can't eat in class, you can probably take a few minutes as you go between classes to eat a little bit all throughout the day. And STAY HYDRATED. You can put a quarter cup to a half a cup of chia seeds in some juice and shake it up and drink that along with lots of water. Chia seeds will help you keep the hydration. If you leave them in the juice too long it will thicken. That is okay but if you drink it quickly the consistency will be easier.

I know exactly how you feel when you are hungry but food makes you feel queasy. I have struggled the exact same way you do and sometimes when I am on a go go go schedule I can get like that too. But if you can put veggies and crackers and yogurts, raw nuts, especially walnuts and almonds, and proteins and things like that in a bag to carry with you and eat small meals as you go I think you will start to feel much better.

It sounds like to me that your blood sugar levels are spiking and crashing and your adrenal glands are stretching and so they are not functioning properly. That is exactly what happens to me. Fortunately it's a pretty easy fix. Try to get lots of sleep too. I think these suggestions will help you feel much much better.

I have asked professors in the past to delay my exams for me because I was too sick to take them when I was going through what you are going through when I was at university. They were happy to help me out so if you feel like you need to sleep for a couple of days talk to your teachers and let them know that you are quite ill because you are. Your body is breaking down. Your adrenal glands can get very damaged if you keep putting them through a spike and crash pattern. If your teachers will let you take a couple of days, get as much rest as you can and try to start planning little super easy and quick healthy meals that you can take with you. And let your teachers know that you have blood sugar issues and that you need to eat snacks all day so that they can let you eat whenever you need to even if you are in a class. The goal is to eat a small amount, about a fistful every two hours or so.

Hugs,
Skibum

Wreck It Ralph

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 8:48 pm

I also thought "regents" might be a European term for tests in schools, but I did a Bing search using the word "regents" and stuff came up for the States having to do with making sure you know certain subjects, likely in anticipation of a test coming up.

For Jen, the OP, I'd also say this sounds like symptoms of depression, but I recently asked here if an onset of depression could be a slow onset of a shutdown.

It seemed to me being overwhelmed by something, especially if you're on the spectrum, could lead to one or the other.

Whatever we call what's happening, obviously something is smothering Jen, and likely a doctor should be told about it, especially if important school tests are going to be messed with by a medical problem.

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 8:54 pm

Sethno wrote:
I also thought "regents" might be a European term for tests in schools, but I did a Bing search using the word "regents" and stuff came up for the States having to do with making sure you know certain subjects, likely in anticipation of a test coming up.

For Jen, the OP, I'd also say this sounds like symptoms of depression, but I recently asked here if an onset of depression could be a slow onset of a shutdown.

It seemed to me being overwhelmed by something, especially if you're on the spectrum, could lead to one or the other.

Whatever we call what's happening, obviously something is smothering Jen, and likely a doctor should be told about it, especially if important school tests are going to be messed with by a medical problem.
Thanks Sethno, I had never heard the word regents before.

Like Sethno said, you could very well be depressed. And that is all the more reason to try to keep your energy up as best you can by eating small healthy snacks throughout the day and getting rest and drinking lots of water. The cool thing is no matter what is going on eating consistently and resting and drinking will always help. And if like Sethno says you feel like you could be depressed, perhaps a school counselor can help you figure that out. If you can get by without being prescribed extra meds I would recommend that also. I always prefer to stay away from meds and try to do everything as naturally as possible. Of course that is a decision that you must make for yourself with the help of your parents or whomever helps you with things like that but just speaking for me, I always find it best to do everything holistically or homeopathically. But Sethno makes a very good point about possible depression.

Wreck It Ralph

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 8:58 pm

skibum wrote:
Sounds like me sometimes. By the way what are regents? I don't think we have that in the US. I have never heard of them anyway.

If I were you I would stay away from orange juice. It tends to spike my blood sugar levels. If you have congestion in the morning. I would try a nasal irrigation syringe if you can handle it. I use a neti pot but that has a bit of a learning curve. The syringe does the same thing but it is much easier to use. It will clear your sinuses and really help you breathe better. I also add a little neti pot salt to the warm water. If you try this use warm water. If the water is too cold your nasal passages will hurt something fierce but don't worry about it, that is not a danger, just uncomfortable. Once you figure out the right temp for the water it's fine.

Then I would prepare light meals the night before that you can eat and take with you, four to six of them. Try to put cinnamon in your diet as much as you can because that helps regulate blood sugar and try to eat mostly low glycemic index foods. You can find great lists of easy foods on the internet. But take small meals, like about a fistful or two and eat them as you go every couple of hours. If you can't eat in class, you can probably take a few minutes as you go between classes to eat a little bit all throughout the day. And STAY HYDRATED. You can put a quarter cup to a half a cup of chia seeds in some juice and shake it up and drink that along with lots of water. Chia seeds will help you keep the hydration. If you leave them in the juice too long it will thicken. That is okay but if you drink it quickly the consistency will be easier.

I know exactly how you feel when you are hungry but food makes you feel queasy. I have struggled the exact same way you do and sometimes when I am on a go go go schedule I can get like that too. But if you can put veggies and crackers and yogurts, raw nuts, especially walnuts and almonds, and proteins and things like that in a bag to carry with you and eat small meals as you go I think you will start to feel much better.

It sounds like to me that your blood sugar levels are spiking and crashing and your adrenal glands are stretching and so they are not functioning properly. That is exactly what happens to me. Fortunately it's a pretty easy fix. Try to get lots of sleep too. I think these suggestions will help you feel much much better.

I have asked professors in the past to delay my exams for me because I was too sick to take them when I was going through what you are going through when I was at university. They were happy to help me out so if you feel like you need to sleep for a couple of days talk to your teachers and let them know that you are quite ill because you are. Your body is breaking down. Your adrenal glands can get very damaged if you keep putting them through a spike and crash pattern. If your teachers will let you take a couple of days, get as much rest as you can and try to start planning little super easy and quick healthy meals that you can take with you. And let your teachers know that you have blood sugar issues and that you need to eat snacks all day so that they can let you eat whenever you need to even if you are in a class. The goal is to eat a small amount, about a fistful every two hours or so.

Hugs,
Skibum

The regents are like a final but it means more a big test that is part of your state that you were required to pass to graduate if you're not in special-education. Just passed all the times of really hard and frustrating and often times have questions that are very confusing.

Also do use sometimes suddenly feel awake and good/ better at night? It is currently 8:56 PM where I live I still feel tiny bit tired but I feel a lot better than I did before.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 9:06 pm

jenisautistic wrote:

The regents are like a final but it means more a big test that is part of your state that you were required to pass to graduate if you're not in special-education. Just passed all the times of really hard and frustrating and often times have questions that are very confusing.

Also do use sometimes suddenly feel awake and good/ better at night? It is currently 8:56 PM where I live I still feel tiny bit tired but I feel a lot better than I did before.

Oh, I am quite a bit older than you so we did not have regents when I was in school. That must be a relatively new thing. It does sound a bit overwhelming.

Yes, I definitely function better in the evening. My husband is a morning person and that is really hard for me because he likes me to be up with him in the morning so that we can talk and hang out a bit before he goes to work. That's pretty hard for me. I start to "rev up" much later in the day and have a much clearer mind in the evening probably around 7pm til about midnight or so. Do you feel better in the evening too? I have read that whether you are a morning or night person depends on what time of day your body temperature peaks.

Wreck It Ralph

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 9:25 pm

skibum wrote:
Sethno wrote:

Thanks Sethno, I had never heard the word regents before.

Like Sethno said, you could very well be depressed. And that is all the more reason to try to keep your energy up as best you can by eating small healthy snacks throughout the day and getting rest and drinking lots of water. The cool thing is no matter what is going on eating consistently and resting and drinking will always help. And if like Sethno says you feel like you could be depressed, perhaps a school counselor can help you figure that out. If you can get by without being prescribed extra meds I would recommend that also. I always prefer to stay away from meds and try to do everything as naturally as possible. Of course that is a decision that you must make for yourself with the help of your parents or whomever helps you with things like that but just speaking for me, I always find it best to do everything holistically or homeopathically. But Sethno makes a very good point about possible depression.

Well I have talk to my doctor about being tired not really being hungry he took some blood test but didn't really think it was anything and I did see a therapist but she only gave me a quick interview and asked me Leavell my life you don't want to attend that I really don't understand feelings at all. When I was younger I thought I could've been depressed but it's strange I'm generally very optimistic try to see the good in everything And I don't think I'm cynical but honestly have a good time I don't know if I'm sick have sensory overload or just feel negative emotion and when I was younger I was diagnosed with adjustment disorder.

But I really hope I don't have depression for two reasons what is my grandma is an neurotic and she's paranoid she worries about everything seems to dread plus my grandmother I don't think she really believes in depression if you know what I'm saying like for example watching the reason news about this girl who killed herself because of bullying she was it's easy just do not care about what people say and how it wouldn't bother her at all.

And also because going to therapy the therapist would have to know how to look beyond how I talked to her and how it would be like a little kid being having bad feelings but not knowing it into it and would have to have experience in autism.

Also my aunt has schizoaffective disorder and my mom has OCD my aunt can be very horrible and abusive at times and my mom is generally okay but she'd be very obsessive with things and if I accidentally touch her stuff she might get nervous so I don't really like the idea of mental illness.

CivilSam
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2014, 9:29 pm

Shutdowns for me are;
Go to grocery store with partner. Partner forgets to buy stamps. Partner wants to stop at post office. Complete change in plans and I shut down, get snippy, and then my vision goes blurry and I withdraw into myself.
Open fridge and find that a jar of pickles tipped over and slowly leaked out all of the entire fridge. Get upset, tell partner to clean it up because they made the mess. they get mad back and I shut down and face a wall in a corner and my vision goes blurry once again and I become unresponsive until I can process everything. After that I feel really bad but thankfully my partner understands any kind of change in my life is a catastrophe the ultimately is the end all of all end alls for a few mins to an few hours. My diagnosis is high functioning so I imagine it can be worse for others.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 9:34 pm

It sounds like there is a lot going on in your family and all that can be overwhelming and exhausting even though you may not realize it. Ask your doctor about the possibility of hypoglycemia. That is actually very difficult to test for because of how the tests are done, it often does not show up. But just as an experiment try to eat the way I suggested just to see if it helps. It certainly won't hurt. Even if you don't have those issues keeping your blood sugar levels stable throughout the day will really help you with your energy and your ability to focus.

I have to get ready to go to sleep now because I actually have the flu so I want to get some good sleep since my husband will be up early no doubt. But I want to know how things are going for you and help you as much as I can. I know what it feels like to go through what you are going through and I know that simple things can really help you like they have helped me.

So I will definitely keep checking this thread to see how you are doing.

But try to get some sleep tonight too because I think your body is pretty exhausted.
Have a great night Kiddo :)
Hugs,
Skibum :)

Wreck It Ralph

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 10:14 pm

skibum wrote:
jenisautistic wrote:

Oh, I am quite a bit older than you so we did not have regents when I was in school. That must be a relatively new thing. It does sound a bit overwhelming.

Yes, I definitely function better in the evening. My husband is a morning person and that is really hard for me because he likes me to be up with him in the morning so that we can talk and hang out a bit before he goes to work. That's pretty hard for me. I start to "rev up" much later in the day and have a much clearer mind in the evening probably around 7pm til about midnight or so. Do you feel better in the evening too? I have read that whether you are a morning or night person depends on what time of day your body temperature peaks.

It's strange I'm still tired but I feel better and I have regained my appetite. But now it is 10:15PM and starting to feel really tired again.

When I see my pediatrician I will try to mention it but unfortunately I'm lower functioning and I need my grandma there with me when I go to the doctor also if I asked her to take me to the doctor number one she'll complain about the co-pay, she would think I'm being a hypochondriac and then she would just get worried.

If only there was a self test. And for your suggestions on food I will definitely look it up and give it a shot.

Although I really have to be careful around my grandma since she basically takes care of me 24 seven when I am not in school. I really don't want to get worried because she has a lot on her plate already taking care of me and dealing with a lot of other stuff. Plus she cooks for me and packs my lunch so I'm either going to have to be able to ask her to buy it in the right way or buy it myself with the money I have

I use to have issues with getting nauseous and throwing up during the summer months at camp would go out for one night in the in this place called BlueMountain i've only been there twice one time a year but both times I've gotten sick

The first time I got really cold so much and I skin was called in the counters had to make me stay inside I didn't even feel sick then on the second day when we had came back to camp last summer I've got nauseous and vomited.

This did happen a few times during the summer do you think that could be related to my glucose level or am I just sent to the high amount of heat? I don't remember if I had a problem with driving up in the previous summers but I do know it's stopped after I think October or November. We could go to the doctor about this and he gave me Zantex and Tums but I don't really use them I haven't used it since he gave it to me.

I am going to try to go to bed now and try to deal with my work later but there's no guarantee I'll fall asleep so wish me luck. And I hope you recover from your flu soon. :)