Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

binaryodes
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 3:15 pm

No idea why this happens but I find myself smiling innapropriately for no apparent reason. This tends to happen most when I feel exposed in a social situation. It also happens ocassionally when im being given the violent treatment by some angry individual which obviously escalates the situation

LookingLost
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 3:26 pm

I do this sometimes, too. In the past I've been picked on for 'looking grim/sad/cold/depressed/upset/like a murderer', so at one point I tried to fix that, and instead got picked on for smiling all the time.

Recently, I was walking through a mental health unit, when I spotted some police officers. I thought 'Oh, police, better not look suspicious (even though I haven't done anything), better smile!), so I tried to smile, and looked up to see my psychologist watching. 8O

Quote:
It also happens ocassionally when im being given the violent treatment by some angry individual which obviously escalates the situation

^ I really hope that doesn't/hasn't put you in danger.

corvuscorax
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jan 2014, 3:45 pm

I smile when I get nervous. It leads to problems. It usually goes along with stims though so it's pretty obvious when I'm genuinely smiling or when I'm freaking-out smiling. Smiling is a sign of stress in other animals and is likely true in aspies too.

"Don't be That One Aspie..."

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 3:48 pm

Yeah, I never know what to do with my face. When I'm nervous I try to smile, but I probably look deranged!

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 5:43 pm

I have also been accused of smiling and laughing inappropriately. I had no idea why I would do that but maybe it's an Aspie thing.

Wreck It Ralph

CheaperthanGold
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jan 2014, 6:14 pm

I use to have this thing where I always felt compelled to smile at the worst possible moments. I'd try to cover it with my hands, which I was told only makes it creepier.

Wind
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 6:30 pm

I have smiled and laughed at peoples anger and upset before. Didn't go down well. Thinking about it now is probably why I lost a best friend of mine. Maybe I upset her with that.

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 7:26 pm

I know of a kid around 18 who I see around who has a perpetual smile. I kind of wonder if he's on the spectrum. Not because of the smiling, but because of the overall way he acts/appears. He seems to be very well liked by all even though he seems quiet and somewhat distant. What stands out is he seems very nice and sweet natured. It reenforces my belief that if you appear as a nice person, you will be liked to a larger degree. You may still be teased some because it seems human nature to tease others, but you will also be liked.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 9:05 pm

Nearly any autistic person I've met has never smiled at the right time. 8)

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 9:06 pm

Double :roll:

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 1:04 am

binaryodes wrote:
. . . This tends to happen most when I feel exposed in a social situation. It also happens ocassionally when im being given the violent treatment by some angry individual which obviously escalates the situation

Maybe try to matter-of-factly take it to the side and therefore get the odds more in your favor?

For example, maybe trying to say with a certain openess . . Any way you want to look at it.

And at the same time getting prepared to walk to an area with more people or at least enough people. And keeping the person's hands in your peripheral vision so you'll have at least some chance to block.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 1:15 am

I sometimes smile when I can't believe I'm this far over my head. And I think former President Bush sometimes smiled in this fashion.

I sometimes smile thinking I can't believe this is happening to me, as if I'm watching myself, or getting ready to write in my journal, or tell something else about the experience. Sometimes I think I smile that the person is mistaking me for 'normal.'

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 1:23 am

I have been told that I smile inappropriately too.

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 7:29 pm

Sometimes this happens when I think of something at the wrong time, like at a funeral or a serious sermon.

Chazzer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jan 2014, 7:31 pm

I did that once when I found out my mums friends pet cat died. Fortunately it wasn't in front of my mothers friend.

Sedentarian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 8:12 pm

This happens to me all the time.