Page 1 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 10:36 pm

Can anyone remember their very first special interests?

I think I can remember some of my earliest ones....I'm sure there were more, but these are the ones I remember best:

Snow White's Seven Dwarves - I loved the Dwarves in the Disney film Snow White and the Seven Dwarves...I had a ton of Snow White stuff as a kid, like plushies of Sneezy, Dopey, and Doc (Sneezy was my favorite, since my aunt gave him to me), a sleeping bag with graphics of Snow White dancing with Dopey and Sneezy on it (I remember lying on it and just staring at Dopey and Sneezy) and these little plastic figurines of the dwarves that actually worried me a bit, bcuz it seemed almost like they mated and cloned themselves overnight....for instance, I would be walking around the house and find these random Doc, Dopey, and Grumpy figurines in random places. Oh well, maybe that was just the whole "distorted reality" thing that lots of little kids have. I referred to the Dwarves as " The Dwerves" and even liked to assign different "dwarf roles" to random people, like when my aunt took me to her work and I called all her coworkers by the different dwarf names I felt were appropriate...anyone who yawned or stretched at their desk was "Sleepy," people who wore glasses were "Doc," people who sneezed randomly were called "Sneezy"....you get the idea. :lol:

The Lion King - I think I was about 2 or 2 and a half years old when The Lion King came out, and I listened to the songs all the time, and even carried around little plastic toys of Simba, Nala, Timon and Pumbaa...I think at one point I lost the Timon and Pumbaa toys at a TGI Friday's and cried forever afterwards. My mom was never able to figure out why I was so upset bcuz I was so hysterical I couldn't tell her.

Winnie the Pooh - I had VHS tapes of all the classic Disney Pooh featurettes ( The Honey Tree, The Blustery Day, Tigger Too, A Day for Eeyore, etc), and had small plushies of Eeyore, Piglet, Tigger and Pooh. I also watched The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh on TV, and could quote parts of certain episodes from memory. Also, I referred to any small pathway surrounded by bushes and trees as "The 100 Acre Wood," or simply, "The Acre Wood." I guess those kinds of places where what I imagined the actual 100 Acre Wood looking like. :lol:

The Blessed Virgin Mary and the Baby Jesus - I had almost forgotten about this special interest until my mom brought it up at dinner one night - My mom would often go to church on Saturday mornings to do the flower arrangements for the following day's service, and she would take me with her. We would sometimes go to a church store to pick up altar candles, and every time we went there, I left with a small, plastic Virgin Mary statue. I can't remember why Mary appealed to me so much....I think it was her kind, motherly expression. Later on in high school, I gave my small collection of Virgin Mary statues (the ones I'd kept from childhood, anyway) to my "little sister" as a special gift (I attended a Catholic high school).

And as for my "Baby Jesus" interest - I think I've told this story here before, but one day, not long before Christmas, I was about 2 and a half years old and my parents took me with them to Sears. Once they both had the items they needed and took their places in the checkout line near the store's entrance, I wandered away towards the light-up Nativity scene. Once I got there, I unplugged the Baby Jesus, and according to my mother, grasped him under my arm like a football and ran for the door, with Baby Jesus' power cord dragging behind. I will go to my grave asserting that my intent was to locate my parents so I could ask them to buy it for me, but my mom says that I was running right for the doors to the outside with the light-up Baby Jesus, with zero intent of paying for it. :lol: She loves to tell that story.

Speaking of light-up decorations, I had a "thing" for those, too, when I was young....we had a light-up ghost sitting on a smiling pumpkin named "Casper," a light-up snowman I named "Frosty," a ribbon-bedecked teddy bear decoration I named "Pooh" (Just like all little garden paths were "The Acre Wood," so were all Teddy Bears "Pooh," lol) and for Easter....a light-up Easter Bunny I named "Smee." I think Smee got his name because even as a little kid, I took notice of how Disney would re-use voice actors in their movies - such as using the same voice actor who did the voice of the White Rabbit in Alice in Wonderland for Smee in Peter Pan. I simply associated Smee and rabbits with each other. :lol:

Other special interests I had as a young child were the movie 101 Dalmatians, my stuffed animals (I still love them), and suit performers (actors who dressed up as characters such as Clifford, Barney, etc. To me, they were like stuffed animals come to life. I always wanted to go to Disneyland for the sole purpose of getting to meet them all, and my favorite Disney Sing-Along videos were the ones that showed the Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy etc. suit performers singing and playing with little kids).

So...what are your earliest memories of your first special interests? :D

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

LAlien
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Aug 2013, 11:08 pm

The earliest one I can remember was penguins. It lasted from preschool to second grade. It must have been funny to see a tiny first grade girl with a massive textbook about penguin anatomy on her lap at recess while the other kids were playing duck-duck-goose. I have very little penguin stuff now, just a couple of books and a doll my big brother bought me.
I always seem to have a "front runner" special interest and a "back burner" spacial interest. The front runner can be extremely intense and last years, but it seems completely random (however fascinating). They have been things like penguins, worms, ants, genetic disorders, psychiatry/psychology, conjoined twins, and a couple more. The back burner one(s) evolve and grow, but are relatively similar and stable. They have gone from paleontology (dinosaurs) to archeology and egyptology to anthropology (people and culture and evolution) and things in that area. The back burner one is the one that I plan to peruse, though, in college and real life. Is that normal? Does that happen to anybody else?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 11:22 pm

my earliest special interests were toilets and coffins, preferably combined and with drivetrain/wheels added plus some bling, to make hotrod vehicles that looked something like the munstermobile.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 11:26 pm

My earliest special interests were cranes and forklifts, followed by human anatomy. Then, I gravitated toward foreign languages (Ukranian was my first).

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 1:10 am

My earliest special interests (as far as I remember) included:

Tom & Jerry (especially Tom)
Cats in general
Beetlejuice (animated version)
The Grinch (animated version)
The Land Before Time
Dinosaurs (the puppet sitcom)
Dinosaurs in general
The Lion King

shadow_light
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Aug 2013, 1:50 am

dinosaurs and biology I think... I remember collecting magazines about human biology and making a model of the insides of a person and all the organs and stuff. Then again I also remember (yes this is disturbing) cutting open the mice that the cat killed to see what was inside, and insects too... I would never kill them, but if they were dead I would investigate what was inside... after a while I started opening up electrical items too to see what was inside and think that's how the interest in engineering/science started

monsterland
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 2:11 am

I disassembled all my toys and made Rube Goldberg machines out of them...

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 2:55 am

Fonts & making books. Half a century on, still going strong.

EQ: 6.

DynamiteMonkey
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Aug 2013, 4:43 am

First was Thomas the Tank Engine. Ive heard that this is pretty common in aspie kids.

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 5:12 am

I was pretty obsessed with TV schedules when I was little. Not necessarily the shows (although that got rolled into it eventually as well...), but I had to know the order of when things came on.

Musicgirl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 5:27 am

My early special interest include:
Hands
JLO
The Little Mermaid
Calculators (I loved math and numbers)
Measurements

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 6:09 am

I had my very first special interest when I was a toddler.

Flies were my very first special interest when I still could not talk or walk.

My mother says that I passed great part of my time observing flies.
She says I pointed at them and observed them with great attention.
I got so involved in the observation of flies that I forgot to pay attention to people at times.

diablo77
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Aug 2013, 11:23 am

Heavy machinery & trucks, trains, animals including bugs, snakes, frogs and lizards that I would catch as well as pets and wild animals. Most of these have followed me through my life.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 2:46 pm

Politics at the age of 6.

Yes, you read that right.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 2:49 pm

Dinosaurs and marine biology...

Hey! I have pet turtles now! :D

devark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2013, 3:03 pm

My first interest was in landscape architecture. I was about 4 or 5 and my grandparents had a few books on the subject, it lasted until I was 7, that's when I got my first skateboard :) Now I just read a lot.