Page 5 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 1:55 pm

any real replies to my last comment with links?

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 11:43 pm

I read them. The links seem informative, more so the autism one. It was pointed out to me that sometimes I really tilt my head to see from an angle.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

03 Feb 2014, 12:13 am

mmcool wrote:

There are autistic children and adults who display features described under Asperger's and autistic children and adults diagnosed with AS who display features described under autistic disorder.

It comes down to - for some - what gets emphasized and when they started speaking.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 12:44 am

mmcool wrote:

What exactly is your point? this topic has been done to death over the few years I've been on WP. If you go back to archived threads on differences between "mild autism", "high functioning autism" and "Aspergers" you'll find that the perception of which label best fits is in the eye of the beholder. None of the above (including Aspergers) are recognised by DSM so it's all conjecture. The current consensus (like it or not) is that autism and Aspergers have the same underlying cause but manifests differently in individuals producing the spectrum of symptoms.

ICD10 is optional in the UK but not used in either the USA or Australia.

If you want to find research that supports the claim that Aspergers IQ > HFA or mild autists, due to nueropsychological differences, then you will certainly find these (i.e. the most prominent proponents of "Aspie superiority" is the Yale Autism Program in School of Medicine at Yale University). What I find is that WP Aspie folks who want to prove they are different to Auties are basically driven by an overwhelming desire to be accepted by NTs. To quote Canadian filmaker Michael Moore..."That's the awful truth"