Page 3 of 6 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

30 Jan 2014, 12:35 am

What I wrote in PM:

I saw that thread, but all she linked to was a website that does google searches for you. There is no way you will get a virus going to lmgtfy and searching for ICD + Autism or ICD + Asperger's. Unless someone hacks lmgtfy or the site owner decides to vandalize the internet it's a safe site. Like so:

http://bit.ly/1e9cL4H (also a link to lmgtfy)

Just because someone says something that sounds strange does not mean they're automatically a danger. If she's experiencing psychosis she is far more likely to be a danger to herself if she's a danger at all than she is to be a danger to any of us. What she said sounds like magical thinking, and not indicative of truly sinister motives.

As far as the rest, there's no point to putting everyone on a scale determined by one person, regardless of how severe he is. So what if we're all mild compared to him? That is completely irrelevant to what our day to day lives are, and not even relevant to medical classification. My impairments are mostly rated moderate to severe, with a couple described as mild, and my GAF can dip into the 30s and has an all time high of 48. This isn't mild, and others here have similar or more severe issues than I do, and what they're dealing with isn't mild. There's no point trying to calibrate all autistic people from a single autistic person, or from an autistic stereotype. It doesn't help, not like understanding what one has difficulty with.

Also, your comment about "autistic person sitting in a corner and stimming" is the most prevalent autism stereotype. Everyone brings it up. I have read it from multiple people on this forum, I have read it in news articles, heard it on news broadcasts, on documentaries. It's a stereotype, and one that is frequently used against autistic people to discredit their autism, or at least the impairments they cope with due to their autism. Here's an article that actually points it out as a stereotype:

http://www.ukessays.com/essays/psycholo ... -essay.php - the author acknowledges that some people fit it but that autistic people have a diverse range of presentations.

But mostly, if you just find yourself telling everyone they're mild because they aren't as severe as this one guy who only appears at his worst in youtube videos posted by his fairly bitter mother who would herself probably insist that you are not autistic at all because you're not like her son, then you're probably going down a road there is no point in going down.

Recognizing severe impairment does not constitute disrespect. However, going beyond that to say that because he is severely impaired, everyone else is mild, can very well constitute disrespect and invalidation. Being on a forum does not mean that one is mild. Being compared to an extremely severe person does not mean that one is mild. Severity is described in the DSM-5 in terms of support needed, not in terms of support needed relative to one man.

Also, having read the responses, I agree with KingdomOfRats about your use of "infant."

I am sorry that you feel attacked. My intention was not to attack you and I am sorry for coming across that way. I didn't see other people responding to you, but they may have come in after I did, or I missed the posts when I read the thread previously.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 12:47 am

Verdandi wrote:
What I wrote in PM:..

I've only glanced at your wordy reply.

For starters, I don't know the site that was linked to. All I saw was someone who had posted strangely posting links with no explaining.

I told the board what I knew and cautioned them

It was the right thing to do.

As for the young man in the vids, I did NOT say everyone else was only mildly affected.

You're putting words in my mouth and twisting what I did actually say.

More signs of mob spirit.

What I said was that someone who felt greatly impaired wasn't doing as badly as some, and they had reason to smile.

People began to attack my word use and the entire post in general.

I properly defended myself, successfully I might add, since the attacks were weak and false.

I'm not going to repeat myself and say all over again what was said before.

If you don't want to listen to reason, I'm not surprised.

Mob spirit never does.

I will repeat one thing-

It's SICK that an attempt was made to encourage someone, and that the attempt was used as springboard to attack me.

Says something about the people involved. "Don't encourage. Attack and tear down!"

Very revealing.

Have a nice life. Hope you find a better path than the one you're on.

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
here in canada we follow the DSM 5 soooooo

I get the DSM numbers mixed up.

Is that the one that merged Asperger's with HFA?

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

Last edited by Sethno on 30 Jan 2014, 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 1:00 am

Sethno wrote:
The post about someone having germs thrown at them because of "magical autism powers" was...strange.

Then, without any explaining, this same person posts links with nothing else.

Would YOU want other forum members linking to unknown material via links posted by someone who said they were being attacked by bottles of germs thrown by people who didn't like their magic powers?

I was giving a warning when something looked very, very strange.

It was the right thing to do, and I explained why I was doing it.

As for the videos...

Someone with good intelligence and communication skills said they were NOT mildly affected, but rather SEVERELY affected by their autism.

I pointed out there are others that were virtually helpless and not even able to communicate. That relatively speaking, the young man in the vids is in a far more impaired state.

I used no stereotypes, but spoke of serious impairments that do exist, showing that a person can be greatly impaired, and that a person posting on a website is far less affected.

The young man shown in in the vids is shown as he is, and his mom isn't showing his "worst moments". She's showing what it's like with him each day. Also, the fact remains he's not toilet trained, cannot speak, has a SIB problem, etc.

This is severe.

Recognizing severe impairment does not constitute disrespect.

Two people disliked the use of the term "infant", which was an appropriate term considering his limitations. I'll not bother to describe those. It's posted above.

I properly defended my use of the term "infant", and there was nothing at all wrong with my initial post mentioning the term, nor my two replies.

I'm disappointed and sadened that my attempt to encourage someone has been used as a launching pad for an attack against me by several people.

It's shameful.

Talk about people disliking other people...

I obviously can't say this for sure, but I think Who Am I was either (1) actually sick and making a joke about the origins of the illness, or (2) speaking metaphorically (maybe ironically). I don't think WAI actually believes people are throwing tuberculosis bacteria.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 1:17 am

wozeree wrote:
I obviously can't say this for sure, but I think Who Am I was either (1) actually sick and making a joke about the origins of the illness, or (2) speaking metaphorically (maybe ironically). I don't think WAI actually believes people are throwing tuberculosis bacteria.

So you think I took things too literally?

EDIT:
Someone just pointed out to me in PM we've begun to hijack this thread. That was never my aim, so I'm clamming up now. Woz? If you want to reply to my question, can we do it in PM? Thanks.

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

Who_Am_I
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Location: My body is in Brisbane and my mind is in the gutter. :D

30 Jan 2014, 2:53 am

Sorry to hijack your thread, mmcool; I just want to clear up this misunderstanding.

Sethno wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ICD+autism

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ICD+Asperger%27s

Please be careful about any links this person provides.

They've just posted a new thread, claiming that people are trying to infect them with diseases by throwing at them test tubes with dangerous germs in them.

It's claimed these "enemies" are afraid of this poster's "magic autism powers" and this is the reason for the attacks.

PLEASE avoid getting any viruses of a different kind thru any links provided.

1. The thread was a joke; the row of dots at the bottom are a link.
2. LMGTFY stands for "let me Google that for you", because the information that mmcool is after can be found with a simple Google search rather than yelling at everyone for not sticking strictly to discussion about the ICD.

Quote:
Like, don't foment needless scares. It doesn't even make sense to connect something that Who Am I said about test tubes to wanting to inflict computer viruses on anyone. That's a random accusation with no foundation.

Yeah, this. Also, mmcool does a lot of work with computers, so I really, really hope he has antivirus software in the first place.

Quote:
The post about someone having germs thrown at them because of "magical autism powers" was...strange.

Like I said, it was a joke thread. It was a satire of
- the thread I linked
- the attitude that the entire NT world is out to get all autistics
- autistic supremacy
- the idea that autistics are special snowflakes with magical powers
- the tendency of some people to compare every.damn.person.who.they.dislike to the Nazis

Quote:
Then, without any explaining, this same person posts links with nothing else.

The two things were unrelated, and my links were directly related to the topic. I did forget that not everyone is aware of LMGTFY.

Quote:
Just because someone says something that sounds strange does not mean they're automatically a danger. If she's experiencing psychosis she is far more likely to be a danger to herself if she's a danger at all than she is to be a danger to any of us. What she said sounds like magical thinking, and not indicative of truly sinister motives.

Also if I was psychotic I probably wouldn't be "together' enough to launch a virus at someone.

Quote:
I don't think WAI actually believes people are throwing tuberculosis bacteria.

Nah. Even if they were, I have a great immune system. I can't remember the last time I got a bacterial illness.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 3:06 am

This was meant to be a thread what's better to have.
Aspergers vs mild autistic disorder.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

30 Jan 2014, 3:13 am

Sorry about missing that your thread was a joke, Who_Am_I.

In context it is funny. :)

Who_Am_I
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Location: My body is in Brisbane and my mind is in the gutter. :D

30 Jan 2014, 3:18 am

mmcool wrote:

It's not too late for you to edit your title and opening post to reflect this.

Verdandi, no worries. :)

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 3:54 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
mmcool wrote:

It's not too late for you to edit your title and opening post to reflect this.

Verdandi, no worries. :)

I made a comment and no one replied to it but everyone replies to offtopic people :(

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 4:06 am

I think your answer is practically impossible to answer. Diagnostically, many clinicians don't even see a difference between so-called "HFA" and "Asperger's" when dealing with clients. So, you may be asking "which label would you prefer to be sorted with, given the same symptoms in either case."

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 6:14 am

Verdandi wrote:
I think your answer is practically impossible to answer. Diagnostically, many clinicians don't even see a difference between so-called "HFA" and "Asperger's" when dealing with clients. So, you may be asking "which label would you prefer to be sorted with, given the same symptoms in either case."

Mild autistic disorder and aspergers are different in ICD 10

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 9:49 am

Sethno wrote:
KingdomOfRats wrote:
...if am thinking of the same guy [am on a dongle so cant go youtubing],he is a young adult and isnt like an infant,he just has a mental capacity lower than hfa or neurotypical people which means he behaves,thinks and understands different to the norm,this includes having challenging behaviors because he doesnt have the same capacity to develop the same skills as others,he has lived his life to the best of his ability and doesnt deserve to be put on the same level as an infant,at least give him that respect,am speaking as someone who is actualy just like him in all ways except higher functioning in communication...

He can't speak, isn't toilet trained, and has been known to bite people.

This is no insult. It's a description of his limitations.

He's very much like an infant, except for the mobility...and the teeth.

yep,thought so have got the right person in mind....am exactly the same,have two support staff to self at all times,bite and get far worse than he does when frustrated or if restrained,am prescribed nappies on the NHS,and lacking speech doesnt mean anything about what goes on inside his head,mine is always working whether am fully non verbal or echolalic.
with support am a paid staff of the NHS,working for two social services learning [US=intelectual] disability teams as an interviewer; choosing the right people for current job posts on the team,am a local autism and intelectual disability activist,helping out various services to understand our disabilities including hospitals, businesses and social services.

am making more contribution to society than many non autistic and hf autistics yet the guy and by proxy anyone else with the same traits are given the highly limiting,judgemental and offensive title of having the mind of a child,the lad and the rest of us of similar presentation dont have a childs mind, we have a lower mental capacity which has a knock on effect on how we understand,feel,learn,behave, communicate etc.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 10:27 am

mmcool wrote:
Mild autistic disorder and aspergers are different in ICD 10

Was billed once with childhood autism ICD 9. For a strong reason I prefer autism in the title...less words

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 11:32 am

KingdomOfRats wrote:
Sethno wrote:
KingdomOfRats wrote:
...if am thinking of the same guy [am on a dongle so cant go youtubing],he is a young adult and isnt like an infant,he just has a mental capacity lower than hfa or neurotypical people which means he behaves,thinks and understands different to the norm,this includes having challenging behaviors because he doesnt have the same capacity to develop the same skills as others,he has lived his life to the best of his ability and doesnt deserve to be put on the same level as an infant,at least give him that respect,am speaking as someone who is actualy just like him in all ways except higher functioning in communication...

He can't speak, isn't toilet trained, and has been known to bite people.

This is no insult. It's a description of his limitations.

He's very much like an infant, except for the mobility...and the teeth.

yep,thought so have got the right person in mind....am exactly the same,have two support staff to self at all times,bite and get far worse than he does when frustrated or if restrained,am prescribed nappies on the NHS,and lacking speech doesnt mean anything about what goes on inside his head,mine is always working whether am fully non verbal or echolalic.
with support am a paid staff of the NHS,working for two social services learning [US=intelectual] disability teams as an interviewer; choosing the right people for current job posts on the team,am a local autism and intelectual disability activist,helping out various services to understand our disabilities including hospitals, businesses and social services.

am making more contribution to society than many non autistic and hf autistics yet the guy and by proxy anyone else with the same traits are given the highly limiting,judgemental and offensive title of having the mind of a child,the lad and the rest of us of similar presentation dont have a childs mind, we have a lower mental capacity which has a knock on effect on how we understand,feel,learn,behave, communicate etc.

Thanks kingdom of rats. Another wonderful post with great clarification.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 11:43 am

Verdandi wrote:

Actually, the experts of the autism centre mentioned, that they would like to diagnose me with HFA, because of me being practically blind to things your brain does automatically in an social context. When I look into your eyes, I mention that you have eyes. ^^ And I can tell you the colour of them. ^^ I KNOW that I should be able to read a ton of information from them, but it just does not happen during context, without you freezing your face, and giving me time to logically analyze it.

The thing was the speech delay. According to diagnostic rules, HFA must have speech delay as toddler.