Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 11:19 pm

My mom just came in and kinda chewed me out cuz im just in my underwear and my window was half open and i was way too cold. she said my feet are like blocks of ice and to put on my robe and slippers. i did not realize my extremities were that cold until she told me.

headhunter228
Raven
Raven

03 Feb 2014, 11:23 pm

I can't say that I'm like that, but I have a friend on the spectrum who is. It's not uncommon for him to turn on his AC in his room in the dead of winter. I stayed at his house, and it was probably 50 degrees in his room when I woke up the next morning because he left the AC on all night.

One of my college roommates is also like that. He wears shorts most of the time. He only wears pants if it's somewhat chilly, and only puts on a coat if it's really cold outside. He chalks it up to his days hiking in the Boy Scouts, but I'm not so sure.

-Count Threpe, The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by headhunter228 on 04 Feb 2014, 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 11:33 pm

There's a postman I see around here that's like that. It could be freezing cold out, everyone set up in sweaters and fur-lined coats, but he's walking around as usual with khaki shorts and a thin jacket. How can this be? I see him sometimes and just shake my head.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 11:37 pm

i like being cold and barely notice it, but heat i CAN NOT STAND! so id say im Hypo-sensitive to cold and hypersensitive to heat

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 11:37 pm

Used to be oblivious to heat and cold. Body awareness increased for hot first.

Sometimes my nails will turn blue-ish before I notice how cold I my body is.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 11:42 pm

No, I don't have that trait. Actually, I hate the cold with a passion.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 12:10 am

Yeah, I kind of am...when other people say they are cold, I just don't notice or am not that bothered by it. I'm like the exact opposite of my stepmother that way....she complains of being cold pretty much wherever she is. I don't know if it has to do with sensory stuff or what.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 12:32 am

EzraS wrote:
My mom just came in and kinda chewed me out cuz im just in my underwear and my window was half open and i was way too cold. she said my feet are like blocks of ice and to put on my robe and slippers. i did not realize my extremities were that cold until she told me.

Well, amigo, for one thing it's good to wear some genuine shorts or pants and at least a T-shirt if you are walking around the house. That's just proper.

Apparently you are hypo-sensitive to temperature. An Aspie trait. I, on the other hand, am so sensitive to temperature that I might be more accurate than a thermometer. I can't tell you how often I lift the comforter (and it's a super heavy comforter, a la Temple Grandin's squeeze machine) off and on me throughout the night.

Aspies are subject to sensory extremes. That's why we are so odd. Some don't feel anything. Some feel everything.

Anyway, Ezra: Look, put some pants on and a shirt, too. I mean, buddy, were you raised in a frucking barn? Ugh, kids today......

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 12:39 am

daydreamer84 wrote:

There are times when i am really sensitive especially when going outside in the morning when it is cold.
what this is is it getting gradually colder and me paying no attention cuz im to involved in what im doing

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 1:12 am

I consider my temperature assessing to be relatively normal, but from experience I know that cold tends to bother me more than others, especially my dad. I hate the heat as well and will have a fan going if I feel even slightly hot, but I'm sure everyone does.

headhunter228
Raven
Raven

04 Feb 2014, 1:14 am

EzraS wrote:

Am I the only one who pictures Axl from The Middle when I read this?

-Count Threpe, The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 1:37 am

EzraS wrote:
daydreamer84 wrote:

There are times when i am really sensitive especially when going outside in the morning when it is cold.
what this is is it getting gradually colder and me paying no attention cuz im to involved in what im doing

Oh, well that can relate to, I'm a daydreamer after all. I am very absent-minded and when I'm involved in an activity or lost in my own thoughts I will neglect my own well-being including keeping myself warm enough. Actually, I live in Toronto, Canada and this year winter here has been really cold. In the last couple of weeks we've had some days that felt like -30 with windchill. One of those days I sat outside waiting for the bus with my jacket open (it is a really warm goose down parka so to be fair it does protect well even unzipped)and no gloves on for 20 minutes just because I was playing Sudoku on my phone and was absorbed in it. I got a really bad cold the a day and a half later. :roll: When I was a kid I'd wander out without a coat in the middle of winter but oddly enough, I think I am very sensitive to temperature when I do pay attention.

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 1:39 am

I am supersensitive to cold. And when chilly I can shiver so hard it literally hurts. But hot doesn't phase me. Unless I am working my tail off I generally don't feel hot until the temperature is above 80 degrees. I usually like to stay between 75 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit. And I cannot sleep without a heavy comforter on me, wrapped up tight in it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 1:41 am

No I seem to be sensitive to it.

Rigor
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Feb 2014, 1:44 am

I'm hypersensitive to it if anything. If the temperature in my apartment gets down to 66-67 I'm shivering, but if it climbs to 73 or over I'm sweating.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 1:55 am

No I seem to be sensitive to it....more heat than cold though like I won't complain about 45 degree weather then I can wear a sweater with out but below that it starts getting uncomfortable then anything above 75 degrees starts getting too hot. But yeah in fairly normal summer heat I end up feeling exausted and nauseous if I exert myself a normal amount...I had one instance where it was maybe around 85 degrees out and i went for a hike with my sister and brother and when I got home I almost passed out and ended up throwing up a lot till it was painful.

So yeah I actually do have to be careful in the summer because I get too hot really easily, In the past I feel people like my mom have thought I was exaggerating when I claimed to be having any ill effects from being too hot...in heat most people I guess can tolerate.