Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 12:09 pm

Hello!

Let me preface by saying that I was going to put this in the LGBT Discussion Forum but I decided that it's better suited here as what I'm going to write primarily concerns special interests.

-------------------------------------

Anyway, I was wondering.. is it common for people on the spectrum to have greater difficulties in determining their true sexuality? I've brought this up in the past in a thread about having crushes and some people pointed out that it's possible to be obsessed with someone, and mistake it for a crush. With regards to sexuality, how would one discern between a crush or an obsession, or a crush AND an obsession?

For example, in my case I tend to be attracted to both sexes, though apparently more-so to males than females. I can't distinguish whether or not this is due to obsessive tendencies or my actual sexual nature. I've said before that I tend to seek out a socially successful male (in any situation, doesn't have to be overall) and I become obsessed.. I guess you could say it's as if I love them. It's really creepy though because I tend to go further than most do (and in a weirder way) when this happens.. I'll leave it up to you to imagine how. I'm sure many of you have experienced it before. It involves intense rejection etc. I could go on and describe it for ages but there isn't much point.

So my question is.. for you fabulous bi/gay (other identifications welcome of course) autistics out there, what is your point of view on the issue? In my case, I can't tell whether I'm bisexual or gay, or bisexual with a stronger preference for men. I know for certain that I'm not straight, and I'm also very much aware that it's all a continuum and that you can't really put a label on sexuality, however my question persists.

:afro: <-- That is all.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 12:27 pm

Well since this place has an LGBT section, then gay and autistic must go together. NT teens at least seem to be plenty unsure and confused. I feel like i have have a better handle on my sexuality then some of them.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 12:35 pm

EzraS wrote:
Well since this place has an LGBT section, then gay and autistic must go together. NT teens at least seem to be plenty unsure and confused. I feel like i have have a better handle on my sexuality then some of them.

I knew what my sexuality resembled when I was your age too, but the fact that special interests could interfere with my desires urges me to find out precisely how the two relate to each other. I've checked threads old enough to archive for relevant information, but I feel there's more that could be said and/or learned.

I have 3 ideological outlines:

1. When you have a crush, that person becomes your special interest/obsession simultaneously.
2. You can have obsessions on anyone of any sex, and it doesn't dictate your sexuality. It does however confuse you.
3. You can have obsessions on anyone of any sex, but you can also have a crush on someone separate.
4. You can have obsessions on anyone of any sex, but have no crush and be asexual.

I don't really have any valuable knowledge for #2 and #3, but #1 is fairly easy to grasp. #4 confuses me greatly, as I'm not asexual and so I cannot comprehend it properly.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 12:40 pm

I'm asexual, but didn't realize it until I was 39. I just always assumed how I felt was normal, and had no idea I was 'missing' something that other people feel. (Oops?!)

[EDIT] To answer #4 above – I've always had crushes on male actors. I think they're beautiful. But if they showed up on my doorstep wanting sex... Ugh, no way. :eew:

Last edited by Ashariel on 02 Feb 2014, 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 12:41 pm

Ashariel wrote:
I'm asexual, but didn't realize it until I was 39. I just always assumed how I felt was normal, and had no idea I was 'missing' something that other people feel. (Oops?!)

Do you have any 'obsessions' with people though? Or do you just have complete disinterest. I'm really not sure how asexuality works.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 12:41 pm

If you are autistic. Then it would be a safe bet that you are asexual. just put it in neutral.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 12:45 pm

Norny wrote:
Ashariel wrote:

Do you have any 'obsessions' with people though? Or do you just have complete disinterest. I'm really not sure how asexuality works.

Haha, I just edited my answer above... Yeah I like to admire male actors from afar, but absolutely do not want sex with them. And I don't crush on anyone in real life.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 12:48 pm

Ashariel wrote:
[EDIT] To answer #4 above – I've always had crushes on male actors. I think they're beautiful. But if they showed up on my doorstep wanting sex... Ugh, no way. :eew:

I feel the same way, but then again I'd never want to have anal sex. I don't particularly like sex with females either other than for the physical feelings, and even then I get all sweaty etc. Well, to be fair I've only had sex once in my life, but still, I know how I feel about it. Despite all this however, I'd be up for other sexual acts. I'm not sure if that means anything or not.

LupaLuna wrote:
If you are autistic. Then it would be a safe bet that you are asexual. just put it in neutral.

I'm not sure how I feel about this, but in a way I find it compelling especially in light of what Ashariel wrote. I have a friend in real life with autism that practically embodies the opposite of asexual.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 12:56 pm

Norny wrote:
I'd never want to have anal sex.

I'm no expert, but from what I understand, not all gay men are into anal sex, so there might be guys out there who share your specific preferences.

And no, I don't think all autistics are asexual... But we do seem to dominate that demographic! :P

Aspendos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Feb 2014, 1:57 pm

Norny wrote:
1. When you have a crush, that person becomes your special interest/obsession simultaneously.
2. You can have obsessions on anyone of any sex, and it doesn't dictate your sexuality. It does however confuse you.
3. You can have obsessions on anyone of any sex, but you can also have a crush on someone separate.
4. You can have obsessions on anyone of any sex, but have no crush and be asexual.

Why would you have a crush on someone you're not sexually interested in? You can be obsessed with someone you're not sexually attracted to, but the term "crush" presupposes a sexual and/or love interest. So if you have crushes on guys, you're gay. It's not just an obsession or special interest.

Have a pic? If you're a nice-looking dude, I might not mind you having a crush on me and being obsessed with me ...

Ashariel wrote:
And no, I don't think all autistics are asexual... But we do seem to dominate that demographic! :P

No, you don't. There's a disproportionate number who's asexual, but many more don't have sex simply because we lack opportunity. That's not the same.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 2:30 pm

Aspendos wrote:
Ashariel wrote:

No, you don't. There's a disproportionate number who's asexual

Yes, that's a better way of putting it. I agree, and worded it wrong!

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 3:45 pm

EzraS wrote:
Well since this place has an LGBT section, then gay and autistic must go together.

That is neither a logical nor accurate statement.

Just because the two are not mutually exclusive does not automatically predicate a link.

Personally, the only thing I see them having in common are feelings of social alienation.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 3:52 am

LupaLuna wrote:

Arent there a lot of married people with autism on here? As for me I will be perfectly blunt and tell that I am in a gay relationship. As far as crushes go, I may not quite get what that means as being discussed here. There are people I find attractive looking and like looking at, if that means a crush. I even sort of have a crush of sorts on Hope Estheim from Final Fantasy who is my avatar. Although I have not had any fantasies about him - scouts honor :P

Willard wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Well since this place has an LGBT section, then gay and autistic must go together.

Just because the two are not mutually exclusive does not automatically predicate a link.

Personally, the only thing I see them having in common are feelings of social alienation.

Well what I meant is that they can go together. That being autistic does not exclude one from being gay.
I know at least 3 aspie males on another forum who are gay.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 4:13 am

EzraS wrote:
LupaLuna wrote:

Arent there a lot of married people with autism on here? As for me I will be perfectly blunt and tell that I am in a gay relationship. As far as crushes go, I may not quite get what that means as being discussed here. There are people I find attractive looking and like looking at, if that means a crush. I even sort of have a crush of sorts on Hope Estheim from Final Fantasy who is my avatar. Although I have not had any fantasies about him - scouts honor :P

Willard wrote:
EzraS wrote:

How did you get into a gay relationship?
Well what I meant is that they can go together. That being autistic does not exclude one from being gay.
I know at least 3 aspie males on another forum who are gay.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 5:20 am

DevilKisses wrote:
How did you get into a gay relationship?

Neighbor who moved in next door when we were 9. We became instant friends. And when we got close to 13, our friendship turned into something more.

Dragoness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Feb 2014, 6:53 pm

Norny wrote:
Hello!

Let me preface by saying that I was going to put this in the LGBT Discussion Forum but I decided that it's better suited here as what I'm going to write primarily concerns special interests.

-------------------------------------

Anyway, I was wondering.. is it common for people on the spectrum to have greater difficulties in determining their true sexuality? I've brought this up in the past in a thread about having crushes and some people pointed out that it's possible to be obsessed with someone, and mistake it for a crush. With regards to sexuality, how would one discern between a crush or an obsession, or a crush AND an obsession?

This thread, in my opinion, does not concern "special interests". It concerns attractions between people. I think this should have gone in the LGBT section, but it's here, so I'll talk about it here.

I haven't heard of people on the spectrum having any more difficulties determining their sexuality. I have high-functioning autism, and I figured out I was bisexual about a year and half a month ago. And I didn't have any doubts about it since. Granted, sometimes I'm more attracted to girls, and sometimes I'm more attracted to guys, but I know I am bisexual overall. Part of the reason why I didn't figure it out right away was because I hadn't heard of bisexuality as much as I had heard of straight and gay people, and I wasn't quite sure what the word meant. If autistic people are more "sheltered" from these sorts of things than neurotypical kids, they might have harder time figuring it out. And if they are less self-aware it might take them a bit longer, but otherwise I don't think there's any evidence that suggests autistic people have any more trouble discerning their sexuality than NTs.