30 Jan 2014, 1:17 am

auntblabby wrote:
breaking down the tasks for illumination-

*read music
* play along per musical notation [two separate tasks]
*left hand plays bass AND accompaniment [two separate tasks]
*right hand plays melodic and contrapuntal [two separate tasks]
*feet handle damper pedals

for a theatrical organist it is another level of magnitude tougher, in that additional tasks would be-

*feet on expression pedals for each manual/pedalboard
*pistons
*stop tabs
*second touches
*toy counter fx/percussive rhythms not handled by MIDI controller

and for both there is the gestalt of having to play in tune/time with other musicians as well as integrating all the separate tasks into one unified and harmonious whole. way beyond little ol' me, I envy those folks for whom this is all just second nature.

I see what you mean! Thank you.

Love transcends all.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 1:19 am

briankelley wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
ZombieBrideXD wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
to do my part in answering the OP's question, I lack the ability to multitask. basically.

but autistic people cant multi-task anyways.

sorry amigo but I must differ with you here. I have seen autistic musicians at work, playing either the drumset or the keyboard, both of which require beaucoup multitasking in order to proficiently operate said instruments.

Maybe with that it's being able to multitask a certain routine. I finally ended up in a job that required some pretty demanding multitasking and I was able to adapt. But there was a set pattern to the multitasking.

hmmmmmm.... :chin:

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 5:17 pm

Is driving a car considered multitasking? You're actually doing one thing - moving the vehicle. Still, you do have to steer the wheel, look out for pedestrians, read the street signs, observe the lights, lookout for other vehicles, press on the gas or brake pedal and shift if you're driving a stick. Probably eating while driving is considered multitasking, no?

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 5:20 pm

I think social skills. I'm not anti-social. I really like meeting people and talking to them. At least in small groups. But I'm just not that good at it, and it's just more work then it worth. I suspect that many ASD people are like that though.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 5:27 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Florescent lights, and bright lights do not bother me.
I can be in a big crowd and not be exhausted by it (as long as there is no communication)

I agree with that, kind of. I actually kind of like crowed places sometimes. As long as it is not too crowded, and there is enough personal space. Like walking around the city, no problem. It's almost like being alone anyway, if nobody even notices you.

But florescent lights. :eew: Those things should be outlawed.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 5:33 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
Is driving a car considered multitasking? You're actually doing one thing - moving the vehicle. Still, you do have to steer the wheel, look out for pedestrians, read the street signs, observe the lights, lookout for other vehicles, press on the gas or brake pedal and shift if you're driving a stick. Probably eating while driving is considered multitasking, no?

it most assuredly IS multitasking which is why I have been in so many accidents. :oops: that is a big reason I am a hermit living out in the woods away from civilization, for there is not too much traffic out here to deal with. also driving a stick shift is a bit too much for me, as is listening to music or even talking while I am driving. and you don't wanna be in the car with me and a bee, for sure!

Quintex
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jan 2014, 5:39 pm

I am not shy or introverted, actually quite the opposite as long as I have my scripts and personas intact and am not tired.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 5:44 pm

I have natural eye contact/smiling - with the exception of making eye contact/smiling to strangers in the street, but that might be a social phobia thing more.

I don't have trouble recognising body language and tone of voice and other non-verbal social things, and I didn't teach myself either, I have this ability from instinct. Don't know if I'm ''expert'' or not, but I know I don't exactly lack the ability. In other words, I am not socially oblivious.

I can lie, I am not totally honest only when I want to be. I don't unintentionally slip out things people might be offended by. I just picked up those sorts of rules through childhood, like most typical children do.

I can sense/feel how others are feeling, and can often tell what the other person's intentions are.

I don't have to be told everything in concrete. I can often work things out for myself by using common sense, my gut feeling, and certain things are usually implied.

I can express my thoughts, opinions and feelings to others (in fact I do this too much).

I don't do any obvious ''Autistic'' stims.

I have self-awareness, and know how to appear presentable/well-groomed when going out and being in contact with other people. In other words, I care.

My social awkwardness seems to be more from social phobia/social anxiety, like being too shy and too nervous to speak up because of the fear of being judged or not being heard, etc. Also I have paranoia about whether people like me or not, which also makes making friends awkward. This is probably due to so much rejection I faced in the past. I don't seem to have much typical Autistic social awkwardness what other Autistics seem to have. But I do have Asperger's because I have the other symptoms, like having intense obsessions, being prone to panic attacks and meltdowns and other emotional overreactions, and I get over-anxious and stress over things others wouldn't so much and have poor coping skills, and I have sensory issues (hate certain noises). I am only on the mild end of the spectrum, but I have enough to fit the diagnostic criteria.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 6:19 pm

dianthus wrote:
When I played piano, I never thought of it as multitasking. Yes it involves coordinating a lot of different actions but it all directed into doing one task. Some people can carry on a conversation with someone while they play. That's what I would consider multitasking. I was never able to do that.

Just saw your post today -- that's more like how I have always seen it, too.

Maybe it depends on how a person's mind works....what level and/or type of complexity for whatever activity (or type of activity) turns into different tasks rather than all of it being incorporated into a single task.

Love transcends all.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 6:36 pm

^^^

for people like levon helm [multi-instrumentalist who sang while playing his instruments], fats waller [piano/organ and sang while playing his keyboards], Karen carpenter [drummer who initially sang while playing her drumset] and ringo starr [ditto] it IS all ONE task. that is because they have brain parts that do all these things automatically so they don't even have to think about it, as naturally as breathing.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 6:44 pm

briankelley wrote:
I think what's pertinent is the overall package, rather than having or lacking specific individual traits or symptoms according to your own point of view.
For instance I could say that I don't have a fixed routine. I don't have to watch People's Court everyday at 4PM ala Rain Man. That rather I do things in chaotic manner and fly by the seat of my pants.
But... I think if someone monitored me 24/7 for a month, and wrote down everything I do, there would indeed be a documented pattern of routine and narrow interests; that oscillates rather than being a straight line.

I also don't have to watch People's Court everyday at 4PM. But if I have a routine, and it gets interrupted, my entire schedule goes to hell. Example if I start work everyday at 4PM, I'm there at 4PM. I don't check the clock, I don't plan to be there, thats just where I automatically will be at 4PM. If they change my schedule, and tell me to start coming at 5PM, I simply can't do that. The best option I can come up with for when that happens, is to just come to work an hour early. Then five minutes later everyday, until I get to 5PM, but that doesn't usually work. Something goes wrong and I can't get to work. Which is one reason I have never been able to keep jobs.

So yeah, while I don't feel the need to have a rigid routine, I just can't adjust to changes in my routine. Most of my routine just happens.

Trontine
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jan 2014, 6:51 pm

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
symptoms are an important part of a diagnoses, but traits tend to vary, one trait, or symptom, not sure which one, that i lack is the ability to use my information memory to my advantage which some autistic people lack. how about you?

I don't understand. You said that the thing you lack is something other autistic people lacks too, so then what you lack is actually an autistic trait. I'm confused.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 7:11 pm

auntblabby wrote:
redrobin62 wrote:
I am a hermit living out in the woods away from civilization, for there is not too much traffic out here to deal with. also driving a stick shift is a bit too much for me, as is listening to music or even talking while I am driving. and you don't wanna be in the car with me and a bee, for sure!

Just curious, do you get good internet out in the woods? I wouldn't mind living like that if I could find some place in the woods with good broadband.

Driving a stick shift isn't too hard once you get used to it. I don't think of it as multitasking, because I don't think about it when driving. It's just automatic for me. A another part of the driving experience. Steering, accelerating, braking, shifting.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 7:16 pm

Max000 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
redrobin62 wrote:
I am a hermit living out in the woods away from civilization, for there is not too much traffic out here to deal with. also driving a stick shift is a bit too much for me, as is listening to music or even talking while I am driving. and you don't wanna be in the car with me and a bee, for sure!

Just curious, do you get good internet out in the woods? I wouldn't mind living like that if I could find some place in the woods with good broadband. Driving a stick shift isn't too hard once you get used to it. I don't think of it as multitasking, because I don't think about it when driving. It's just automatic for me. A another part of the driving experience. Steering, accelerating, braking, shifting.

it could be that your brain grew new parts in it to automate the various processes so it comes in as second nature. anyways where I live there is not much in the way of broadband, only "dsl-lite." upload speed is <700kb/s and download speed is <1.3mb/s. and just for that it costs me $45 per month on top of the phone bill. no cell phone coverage out here either.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 9:31 pm

auntblabby wrote:
anyways where I live there is not much in the way of broadband, only "dsl-lite." upload speed is <700kb/s and download speed is <1.3mb/s. and just for that it costs me $45 per month on top of the phone bill. no cell phone coverage out here either.

Ouch, thats a deal killer. Right now I have 0.95MB up and 11.15MB down (actual speeds). I don't think I could go back to much slower speeds. At least you have DSL. I know many rural areas can't get anything but dial up.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 9:40 pm

Max000 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
anyways where I live there is not much in the way of broadband, only "dsl-lite." upload speed is <700kb/s and download speed is <1.3mb/s. and just for that it costs me $45 per month on top of the phone bill. no cell phone coverage out here either.

Ouch, thats a deal killer. Right now I have 0.95MB up and 11.15MB down (actual speeds). I don't think I could go back to much slower speeds. At least you have DSL. I know many rural areas can't get anything but dial up.

when walmart opened up in my county they demanded and got [as they do wherever they go] upgrades to the local phone line infrastructure [meaning installation of fiber optic lines] so that enabled me to get at least a little benefit.