mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 1:09 pm

mild autistic disorder vs aspergers
the title says it all.

edit:
add ICD based

Last edited by mmcool on 29 Jan 2014, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rebel_Nowe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 1:22 pm

Soo... battle to the death? That's what I got from the title...

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 1:27 pm

given that most people on WP are american,they arent going to care as both flavours of autism mean the same thing in americas DSM manual anyway,plus the UK/european ICD is going to be following the DSMs example come next edition.

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 1:54 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
given that most people on WP are american,they arent going to care as both flavours of autism mean the same thing in americas DSM manual anyway,plus the UK/european ICD is going to be following the DSMs example come next edition.

ICD

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 2:03 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
ICD is going to be following the DSMs example come next edition.

Why do you think that?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 2:07 pm

please keep on topic
it is more like what is the difference.
under ICD.
or the the USA AS vs HFA

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 2:13 pm

Childhood speech delay was most commonly used to distinguish.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 2:24 pm

mmcool wrote:
please keep on topic
under ICD.
or the the USA AS vs HFA

First: no such thing as "mild autism," just differing levels of capability in functioning in spite of it. IDK about you, but MY HANDICAP IS NOT 'MILD.' It has made my entire life an excruciating living nightmare, the worse because I appear normal, but do not have the Executive Function to manage life as a normal adult.

Second: There is and has ever been only ONE difference between Asperger Syndrome and High Functioning Autism, and that is a "clinically significant speech delay in early childhood" - that's all. Other than that one slight detail, they are one and the same disorder.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 2:46 pm

Quote:
There is and has ever been only ONE difference between Asperger Syndrome and High Functioning Autism, and that is a "clinically significant speech delay in early childhood" - that's all. Other than that one slight detail, they are one and the same disorder.

It's not a detail. It's a great difference if one's brain is not wired to be verbal and another can be hyperlexic, starts speaking early with huge vocabulary etc.

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 3:23 pm

Willard wrote:
mmcool wrote:
please keep on topic
under ICD.
or the the USA AS vs HFA

First: no such thing as "mild autism," just differing levels of capability in functioning in spite of it. IDK about you, but MY HANDICAP IS NOT 'MILD.' It has made my entire life an excruciating living nightmare, the worse because I appear normal, but do not have the Executive Function to manage life as a normal adult.

Second: There is and has ever been only ONE difference between Asperger Syndrome and High Functioning Autism, and that is a "clinically significant speech delay in early childhood" - that's all. Other than that one slight detail, they are one and the same disorder.

what age and type?

Aspendos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jan 2014, 3:29 pm

Willard wrote:
First: no such thing as "mild autism," just differing levels of capability in functioning in spite of it. IDK about you, but MY HANDICAP IS NOT 'MILD.' It has made my entire life an excruciating living nightmare, the worse because I appear normal

This.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 3:34 pm

linatet wrote:
Quote:
There is and has ever been only ONE difference between Asperger Syndrome and High Functioning Autism, and that is a "clinically significant speech delay in early childhood" - that's all. Other than that one slight detail, they are one and the same disorder.

It's not a detail. It's a great difference if one's brain is not wired to be verbal and another can be hyperlexic, starts speaking early with huge vocabulary etc.

Me and Willard are in our 50's so one difference 5 decades ago means little to us now. The levels of Executive Dysfunction and Sensory sensitivity, Social Communication difficulties mean a lot more to our daily lives.

The different diagnosis based on language development has it roots in the 1940's. Leo Kanner and Hans Asperger discovered autism at about the same time. Kanner's patients had language delay, Aspergers patients did not. This diagnostic divide lasted until the DSM 5 and remains in the ICD 10

But childhood is important in that the scientific consensus is if you were not autistic then, your autistic traits now are not from Autism.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 3:51 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
KingdomOfRats wrote:
ICD is going to be following the DSMs example come next edition.

Why do you think that?

the latest draft of the ICD 11-
http://apps.who.int/classifications/icd ... f437815624
shows it merged under autism spectrum disorder,it also has a link to the ICD 10 equivilent/ ie currently each form of autism in their own right.

willard,
in that case the disability hasnt come from the condition itself,its society that disables- that is why we have the social model of disability.
mild autism does exist,the autistic severity label doesnt measure how much someone suffers from societies non adaptable,unforgiving hands,so that is why its highly possible-- for example--one individual with profound autism might live a good life with no bullying or suffering from society whilst another individual with mild autism might suffer from society greatly given that they have the highest level of expectations out of all of us and struggle more due to lack of support.

Aspendos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jan 2014, 4:04 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
in that case the disability hasnt come from the condition itself,its society that disables- that is why we have the social model of disability.
mild autism does exist,the autistic severity label doesnt measure how much someone suffers from societies non adaptable,unforgiving hands,so that is why its highly possible-- for example--one individual with profound autism might live a good life with no bullying or suffering from society whilst another individual with mild autism might suffer from society greatly given that they have the highest level of expectations out of all of us and struggle more due to lack of support.

Well, the social model of disability either applies to all forms of autism or to none. You can't just claim that what you like to call "mild" autism is a social construct, but arguably more severe forms of autism are not. Ultimately, the entire western-medical diagnostic system is a social construct. If everyone were severely autistic (i.e. this was the social norm) none of us would be perceived as disabled.

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 4:20 pm

please keep it on topic.
ICD 10 only.
as this thread is going offtopic.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 5:03 pm

Same thing.