Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 3:59 pm

I just feel like I'm getting stupider. :( I used to be good at math, but now I'm horrible at it. I also used to score better on IQ tests. Apparently I used to have a high IQ now I'm just average. :(

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 4:05 pm

I used to have a memory that was good enough to get A grades without exam revision. Fast forward 20 years, 10 of which were spent on antidepressants, and my memory is average at best.

Your issue may be an illusion though. About a year ago I enrolled on an Open University course. I did not feel as though I still had my original level of ability, I felt as though I'd lost a lot of it as I had aged. However, on completing the work my grades were just as high as they always were (100%, 96%, 97% nothing below 86% for both written papers and short answer tests). It surprised the hell out of me as I was not expecting it. Especially as in other ways the world tends to treat me like my ideas are dumb or as though I don't know what I am talking about and as the world tends to reject me because of it. People always say they like intelligence but in reality they don't. What they do like are people who think in the same ways as they do whether it is in intelligent thought or not.

Your skill is mostly likely still what it was, your perception of things may be down to how you are feeling tonight.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 5:00 pm

I don't know how much of it is actually being "dumber" versus having less energy than one did as a youth. it takes energy to be bright.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 5:09 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I don't know how much of it is actually being "dumber" versus having less energy than one did as a youth. it takes energy to be bright.

I'm only 17! I don't think I'm old enough to be dealing with aging.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 5:14 pm

But you are old enough for chronic stress. That can do it too. I do not believe it has to be permanent.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 5:19 pm

vickygleitz wrote:
But you are old enough for chronic stress. That can do it too. I do not believe it has to be permanent.

I do have quite a bit of stress even though I barely have any responsibilities. That just makes me feel more stressed because I feel like an underachiever and I still feel like I have more stress than average. I just wish I could be more like my 14 year old sister who goes to school full time and has a job and a decent amount of friends. She gets stressed as well, but her stress is actually justified. She almost made honor roll. I'm just stuck struggling in special ed. I feel like such a ret*d. I sometimes just want to die. The world doesn't need leeches like me.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 5:28 pm

We are all entitled to our feelings. Being in special Ed IS stressful, only advantage is if you have more people to lean on. I'm sorry you're feeling so down, Devilkisses.

EsotericResearch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Feb 2014, 5:57 pm

One thing that might help is Khan Academy. http://www.khanacademy.com By learning through that site, you can improve your academic skills. The whole idea of "smart" or "dumb" is not about innate ability I don't think, but how much you practice. When I was in school I was also in special ed and they weren't exactly teaching us what we needed to know each year. There are other sites, such as Duolingo for foreign language that are free and help you learn.

http://sites.google.com/site/esotericresearch Esoteric Research Press

Oren
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 6:14 pm

Sometimes it's just a matter of being more self aware as you grow up. Meaning that you just start to notice your own inadequacies more.

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 6:43 pm

Might be a side effect of not using / not challenging the brain, it is a muscle afterall.

Ive been experiencing this as well lately.

Thinking i might have to try some of those stupid online tests, to see if they actually can improve memory, or if its just scam.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 10:10 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
I just feel like I'm getting stupider. :( I used to be good at math, but now I'm horrible at it. I also used to score better on IQ tests. Apparently I used to have a high IQ now I'm just average. :(

Aspies may sometimes do fine in elementary school math and strugling when it come of more adavanced subjects like algebra.

I also used to have a higher IQ, well maybe... What I know is that I have been said "gifted" as a kid and later I only scored in the high average in a IQ test. So I may have lost my smart. :(

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 10:27 pm

know what you mean. am having a lot more difficulty this semester. its like i have gone several squares back.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 10:36 pm

Getting stupider just means you're getting smarter.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 10:36 pm

Tollorin wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:

Aspies may sometimes do fine in elementary school math and strugling when it come of more adavanced subjects like algebra.

I also used to have a higher IQ, well maybe... What I know is that I have been said "gifted" as a kid and later I only scored in the high average in a IQ test. So I may have lost my smart. :(

inteligence hasnt got anything to do with smarts,it just determines how well someone takes in information & learns from it;plus how well they can use what theyve learnt against other things, and how well or how poor they function in society.
am intelectualy disabled and have smarts. :)

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 10:55 pm

Tollorin wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:

I don't have too many problems with algebra. I just have problems with arithmetic right now, the math I used to be good at. The only thing I'm very good at is spelling. Who cares about being good at spelling if spellcheckers exist?

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 10:43 pm

DevilKisses wrote:

My IQ used to be I believe in the hundred times to move down I think a hundred and two 95 then 90 now it is 89.