Any DIAGNOSED people with memory PROBLEMS?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 4:15 pm

I hear about people with steel-trap memories...

Oh, there are things that, once I know them, they're LOCKED in place. With a good many things, MOST, really, I recall more vaguely. The gist, not the specifics.

Anyone who's diagnosed as on the spectrum have the same problem?

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 4:21 pm

My long-term memory for facts is good but not amazing. There are definitely things I only remember vaguely and I get the tip of the tongue phenomenon where I can remember the first letter of a name but can't call it to mind, for example. My short-term memory completely sucks, I lose things all the time and am really absent-minded.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 5:38 pm

My memory is good if I'm interested, and sucks if I'm not.

However, I do struggle a lot with prospective memory. Prospective memory is the ability to designate a certain memory to be retrieved at some point in the future. For example, being able to decide, while at work, that you need to remember something when you get home, and then actually remembering it at the right time.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 5:39 pm

am non existant of a short term memory-completely non existant, for example whilst typing a sentance am having to re read and rebuild it mentaly over and over because it is like brain keeps resetting itself back to the beginning and am left in the middle of nowhere.

had had severe short term and working memory issues since the earliest time am able to remember; toddler hood; except it was never this bad,being a life long daily head banger [wasnt prescribed helmets till adulthood] had built up a lot of mild and moderate brain injury and it has had a terrible effect on what was already a terrible memory,it has acutely affected working memory.

however,am very gifted in long term memory and can remember useless details from when was a toddler/child/teen/adult,people usualy dont have a clue about the difference between long term and short term memory and ALWAYS think have not got a memory problem at all because of having an amazing long term one [that and the fact have usualy brought up something embarassing that happened to them years ago and they resent anyone being made aware. ;) ].

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 5:51 pm

I have huge gaps in my memory due to PTSD (like basically a whole year of my life I can't remember). And I suspect being autistic made me more prone to being completely traumatized, and blocking memories.

Also, coming off a 13-year failed marriage, I seriously have trouble remembering anything happy from those years, though on some level I know there must have been some good times? :?

I really seem to have trouble remembering things that confuse or disturb me emotionally.

[EDIT:] I have the same problem Ettina described, with prospective memory.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 6:32 pm

i have great longterm memory and very bad shortterm memory.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 6:34 pm

AdamAutistic wrote:
i have great longterm memory. i can remember every event that has happened in my life.

my shortterm memory is very bad though.

If you don't remember things that happened recently but do have good long term memory, how long does it take for you to start remembering things?

For example, something that happened yesterday, how long before you start remembering every aspect of that day?

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 8:15 pm

a few hours later

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 9:55 pm

My verbal memory is very low (2nd %ile). I believe it is accurate. My ability to understand purely verbal information (not to mention remember it) is shockingly low and frequently embarrassing.

To contrast, my IQ was rated (most recently) in the 99th %ile (though, in the past as low as under the 1st %ile...so who's to say any of this matters...)

I do have a terrible memory and it's often embarrassing.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 9:58 pm

My long-term memory is average to above average . My short-term memory is below average to very below average.

So, as an example, when I ask for directions, I must write down the verbal response, word for word. I am generally unable to remember anything beyond 2 steps. Unless, the steps are totally familiar to me.

Interestingly, until I took the various tests, I didn't realize that I had this problem. Imagine that. Though, somehow I figured out how to compensate for it over the years. I always wondered why I had to take so many pages of notes during class (easily 3-5x more than anyone else). Now I know.

So, while I have problems processing verbal instructions in my head, somehow I am OK with processing numbers in my head. While I scored 63 percentile on WAIS Digit Span, I scored 99 percentile on WAIS Arithmetic.

I have a feeling it has something to do with Fluid Reasoning (which was the area I scored highest on in WAIS).

Personally, I find this memory stuff fascinating.

CivilSam
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Feb 2014, 10:53 pm

Sethno wrote:
I hear about people with steel-trap memories...

Oh, there are things that, once I know them, they're LOCKED in place. With a good many things, MOST, really, I recall more vaguely. The gist, not the specifics.

Anyone who's diagnosed as on the spectrum have the same problem?

Sort of. When it comes to numbers I have a great deal of difficulty recall or repeating them from memory due to visualizing issues in my memory. When it comes to remembering words I see them as the visual representation of them and have an incredibly memory with them. Oddly enough I scored poorly on the story recalling part simply because the story bored me and I didn't care to remember it. So yeah, things that interest me become "LOCKED" in my memory and things I couldn't care less about (dates, names, people) I never even put forth effort to remember.

Scanner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Feb 2014, 10:56 pm

My long term memory is very good and I can usually pinpoint many memories to the day they happened because of the weather/season/time.

My short term memory on the other hand isn't so great. I will forget what I'm talking about in the middle of my sentences. I was talking with my friend about something and in the middle of the sentence I knew what I was saying, I knew what I was going to say, and I knew it was saying it to prove some sort of point but I completely forgot what the point was, what the topic was, and why I was trying to make this point. By the end of the sentence and after I had said it all I remembered once she spoke again lol.

BLK95TA
Raven
Raven

04 Feb 2014, 11:59 pm

I think i fall into the steel trap memory. I can remember random things like the entire 17 digit vin number of a car i owned from 2000-2005 or certain things that happened on certain dates like a car crash story i posted in another thread that happened in 1996 and i wasn't even in the car.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 1:45 am

i have pretty good memory, but my issue is processing, it takes me a bit longer to process things but thats ok, so it can seem like i have short term memory loss, which basically what it is, but yeah, in a way my short term memory is bad if i cant have time to process a situation or image.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 1:47 am

also my verbal memory is poor. im visual bsed

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 2:29 am

My long term memory is alright...except when it comes to anything involving numbers. I can read a factual internet page, or a book on some topic and remember all the important information once its there...but I can't ever remember any math skills I might learn I also am not good at remembering dates, phone numbers or stuff like that. But yeah if someone was to ask me about a topic I have some intrest in I will probably remember all kind of information about it I've read and researched.

Then my short term memory really sucks, I forget what I am doing right in the middle of it quite a bit...I misplace things or end up not paying attention and put things in weird places like milk in the cupboard. Also the couple times I had jobs...I was quite bad at remembering verbal instructions and of course would forget things I was supposed to do.