Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 5:07 pm

I keep getting people here mixed up with each other.

There are a whole bunch of people I know by name, especially if I've interacted with them, but others I keep thinking are someone else. It gets worse when they change their icon. Is this like face blindness, but internet blindness?

We need a chart or something (or am I the only one)?

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 5:26 pm

wozeree wrote:

There are a whole bunch of people I know by name, especially if I've interacted with them, but others I keep thinking are someone else. It gets worse when they change their icon. Is this like face blindness, but internet blindness?

think am exactly the same and always get confused everytime someone updates their avatars but there is a thread on the random or members board for people to mention when they change their avatar if they want to.
forums dont feel like speaking to different people,it feels like talking to self except with different avatars [in own view],that and individual writing styles make people different from another.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 5:34 pm

That's a really good point! I love your avatar by the way (and you were one of the first people whose writing I connected with and whose name stuck with me when I first came here). :D

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 5:54 pm

wozeree wrote:
That's a really good point! I love your avatar by the way (and you were one of the first people whose writing I connected with and whose name stuck with me when I first came here). :D
I love her hugging chicken, or is is a rooster(?) pic too. There is something so beautiful and heartwarming about that pic.

Wreck It Ralph

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 5:56 pm

wozeree wrote:

:lol: No, I think that's normal. The old 'avatar switch' throws me off sometimes, and often, when several new people join all at the same time it takes me a while to sort out who's who. It's also strange to make some unconscious assumption about gender because of an avatar, only to realize later that that person is not at all who you thought they were. It doesn't help that I'm as notoriously unobservant online as I am in a room full of people and can miss an important detail that's been staring me in the face for weeks or months or longer.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 6:12 pm

I think I have 'avatar blindness' the same as face blindness. I honestly don't notice what anyone's avatar is, and wouldn't know if they changed it. In fact I have to stare at a picture for a very long time before I can even figure out what the heck it is.

Visual stuff is just a blur to me – not because I have bad eyesight, but my brain just doesn't process it.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 6:17 pm

I'm similar in a sense that if someone who I talk to regularly changes their avatar, I don't recognise them.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 6:21 pm

Yeah, it's normal, I think. I mix up people who have similar sounding names or similar looking avatars.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

01 Feb 2014, 7:18 pm

This is why I stopped changing my avatar a few years ago.

I have this problem as well. I identify people by their avatars more than their names.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 7:38 pm

This is why I go by usernames than avatars. Avatars are unreliable. I have a problem with people changing their usernames on other forums because then it gets confusing and they also change their avatars too.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 7:41 pm

I talk to avatars.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 7:59 pm

I've never had this problem. I do however have a problem telling people apart in real life if they all have a similar vibe.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 8:31 pm

Nope, you are not the only one.
Fortunately for those of us with this problem, I am unforgettable :P

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 10:05 pm

Verdandi wrote:
This is why I stopped changing my avatar a few years ago.

I have this problem as well. I identify people by their avatars more than their names.

This. That's one reason I have never changed my avatar (that, and the fact that I'm extremely un-tech savvy so it took me about an hour to figure out how to reformat the picture I wanted, to make it fit into the avatar specifications the first time, and my general hatred of change would make me feel weird if I changed it.)

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 10:22 pm

I tend to identify people by their avatars too. So it takes me a little concentration when someone changes it. Some of them I have no idea what they are as another poster mentioned and some of them are actually scary to me. At first if I see a scary one I automatically assume the person behind it might be scary but I soon realize that that is not usually the case. :)

Wreck It Ralph

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 10:44 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
I've never had this problem. I do however have a problem telling people apart in real life if they all have a similar vibe.

Speaking of changing avatars, I like your new one very much. It seems better suited to you. :D