Very strange school autism evaluation what does this mean?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 11:22 pm

Today I was able to recover my Vineland test from ninth-grade eventually I will try posting most if not all of it but now I want to go to the Verry end on the last page.

Projective test using drawings show a young girl who feels she is struggling she appeared to be sad at times during the testing Jennifer attempted to do as told and respond as appropriate Jennifer's pictures had no details and show a child who appears to be despondent she appeared to be reacting to school material.

Jennifer was able to verbalize and talk about her family and her past school experience she is very aware of her difficulties at home and at school Jennifer Was noted to have several in paired social awareness. For example she did not appear to understand why other children her age would comment and think her carrying our child's lunchbox was inappropriate. She stated that it had a special meaning for her. She talks a lot and is not aware that it is not always appropriate.

The child autism rating scale second addition yielded minimal to no symptoms of autism spectrum disorder.

Jennifer was reportedly classified as having pervasive developmental delay nos and continues to present with those characteristics. She makes limited eye contact is very self-involved and is awkward social relationships Jennifer has difficulties reading emotions from others at this time Jennifer is able to function in a regular class setting with support services .

This is a summary and recommendations.

Jennifer is a 14 year old nine months old girl who is currently in a ninth-grade monolingual class. Concerned Center on academic and emotional difficulties she has some difficulties academically in school. This is reported to have occurred throughout the years. Her
overall cognitive skills fall in the upper end to low average range and show she has the potential to do well in school.

Jennifer skills are varied. She does better with verbal reasoning abilities which are in the average range then non-verbal reasoning abilities which are in the low average range. Her general processing speed abilities were in the borderline range and her lowest scores. Her ability to process visual material quickly is a valid head weakness for Jennifer . Achievement test show the difficulty being seen in school. Jennifer has the cognitive ability to do well in class but is struggling to do well.

At this time Jennifer is functioning in the low average range cognitively.Scores on academic skills are significantly below grade level. Difficulties attending to the needed attention and tasks requiring attention and tasks requiring attention are seen throughout in both cognitive testing and achievement scores.

Jennifer reportedly has school friends and enjoy socializing with them.

The them not autistic this is very confusing.

Okay I did lie when I said I like socializing with them because I really like talk about when I was interested in and I lied when I said I didn't have difficultys with others either that or I was still oblivious I don't remember.

How can I have all the symptoms of autism and then score low to none on the test. What do they test in that test any way?

Could you explain to me what the person administering the test is trying to say?

Last edited by jenisautistic on 10 Feb 2014, 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 11:29 pm

Im as confused by it as you are.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 11:43 pm

Yo Jen!

I'm a little hesitant to answer this because I've talked to you so much, I don't want you think I think I'm your mom or anything (I just like you a lot).

But I'm answering anyway because I have a big mouth!

This is what stuck out for me the most:

Quote:
Jennifer was able to verbalize and talk about her family and her past school experience she is very aware of her difficulties at home and at school Jennifer Was noted to have several in paired social awareness. For example she did not appear to understand why other children her age would comment and think her carrying our child's lunchbox was inappropriate. She stated that it had a special meaning for her. She talks a lot and is not aware that it is not always appropriate.

The child autism rating scale second addition yielded minimal to no symptoms of autism spectrum disorder.

Jennifer was reportedly classified as having pervasive developmental delay nos and continues to present with those characteristics. She makes limited eye contact is very self-involved and is awkward social relationships Jennifer has difficulties reading emotions from others at this time Jennifer is able to function in a regular class setting with support services .

This doesn't seem to you like me. They make it sound like you don't relate to people around you, but you do!! !! I can't emphasize that enough! You may have trouble doing it in person but possibly it's because of the trouble you've had during your school years and you are wary (I know it's a different school, but still). Let that guy who gave you test get his ankle broken being dragged around by kids and see how well he does speaking to them. Not to mention the other stuff you say they do to you.

In all the many conversations I have had with you, the very last words I would use to describe you are awkward in social relationships and having difficulty reading emotions from others. And it's not always easy to read emotions in writing, you do great. Like I always say you respond with compassion and dignity.

I think there is some big difference between the you that you are, and you that gets expressed in school.

Anyway, somebody else chime in here so Jen can take somebody's word beside mine for it please!

PS I don't know about the guy saying you aren't on the spectrum.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 11:44 pm

PSS - I forgot to say, it's ok to be different and carry any school box you want. People figure that out as adults anyway.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 12:23 am

I think there are lots of tests. For my diagnosis I didn't even take any though. I just had interviews with the psychiatrist (one with her and my mother.)
Honestly, I wouldn't let these tests define you. Once you are older you will be able to pursue your own course of therapy, but for the time being just go along with whatever the school and your parents say and take whatever help they offer.
You've got time on your side.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 12:32 am

Ann2011 wrote:
I think there are lots of tests. For my diagnosis I didn't even take any though. I just had interviews with the psychiatrist (one with her and my mother.)
Honestly, I wouldn't let these tests define you. Once you are older you will be able to pursue your own course of therapy, but for the time being just go along with whatever the school and your parents say and take whatever help they offer.
You've got time on your side.

Off topic The second I started reading the last line the song by the Rolling Stones "Time Is On My Side" came on the internet radio station I was listining to.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 12:41 am

"Well, time is on my side, yes it is"

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 12:38 pm

wozeree wrote:
Yo Jen!

I'm a little hesitant to answer this because I've talked to you so much, I don't want you think I think I'm your mom or anything (I just like you a lot).

But I'm answering anyway because I have a big mouth!

This is what stuck out for me the most:

Quote:

This doesn't seem to you like me. They make it sound like you don't relate to people around you, but you do!! !! I can't emphasize that enough! You may have trouble doing it in person but possibly it's because of the trouble you've had during your school years and you are wary (I know it's a different school, but still). Let that guy who gave you test get his ankle broken being dragged around by kids and see how well he does speaking to them. Not to mention the other stuff you say they do to you.

In all the many conversations I have had with you, the very last words I would use to describe you are awkward in social relationships and having difficulty reading emotions from others. And it's not always easy to read emotions in writing, you do great. Like I always say you respond with compassion and dignity.

I think there is some big difference between the you that you are, and you that gets expressed in school.

Anyway, somebody else chime in here so Jen can take somebody's word beside mine for it please!

PS I don't know about the guy saying you aren't on the spectrum.

Thank you for responding. i love reading your posts and glad you always reply to them. i cant type much now because im in school but i just wanted to say i talked to the woman who gave the test and she explained it a little although i didn't ask her about the social part but all im going to say now to explain this is that im unsure i know i can read emotions and what happened to me was a contribution but it could also be due to my poor eye contact/ reading nonverbal or expressions or possessing speed as well as the public having no understanding of autism but i still have to think about it. For me writing is easier then speaking but i also have physical problems so physically writing or typing can be hard.

I will finish this later tonight.

RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

12 Feb 2014, 1:57 am

jenisautistic wrote:

Jennifer skills are varied. She does better with verbal reasoning abilities which are in the average range then non-verbal reasoning abilities which are in the low average range. Her general processing speed abilities were in the borderline range and her lowest scores. Her ability to process visual material quickly is a valid head weakness for Jennifer . Achievement test show the difficulty being seen in school. Jennifer has the cognitive ability to do well in class but is struggling to do well.

At this time Jennifer is functioning in the low average range cognitively.Scores on academic skills are significantly below grade level. Difficulties attending to the needed attention and tasks requiring attention and tasks requiring attention are seen throughout in both cognitive testing and achievement scores.

May I inquire as to the official diagnosis on the evaluation? My verbal reasoning abilities are better than my processing speed and nonverbal reasoning abilities and my official diagnosis is LD-NOS or a nonverbal learning disability.

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Feb 2014, 12:48 pm

jenisautistic wrote:
Okay I did lie when I said I like socializing with them because I really like talk about when I was interested in and I lied when I said I didn't have difficultys with others either that or I was still oblivious I don't remember.

This one tiny bit might have a lot to do with their evaluation. If you aren't being honest, how can they accurately evaluate you? What else did you lie about (intentionally or subconsciously)?