Is it depressing to hear another person's story?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 6:01 pm

I think it's especially depressing if the story nearly reflects one's own, for one reason or another...

I was listening to http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01s83bx ... and it was like an injection, subjectively miserable for me... especially because she actually has a life 100x more than I do, despite having the same difficulties and more. But... hey, my mother certainly didn't play guitar for me. >.>

Billw1628
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Feb 2014, 6:14 pm

Definitely agree. My experience happened when an OT student friended me in April. As she told me her story, it was almost an exact replica of mine 2.5 years before that. I think for me in being a professional, I was not as shaken. However, I felt for her because I felt that I could make a difference for her. In the end, she did not continue onto OT because of something else. But, I did support her to finish the academics portion of her OT degree.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 6:27 pm

Sometimes

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 9:38 pm

People tell their stories on WP all the time, especially on The Haven, but I don't mind reading them. It shows me that I'm not alone with my depression and I actually have company. It's sad company but company is company.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 9:46 am

I think it's good to be able to tell one's story to others who can relate, understand, and perhaps give helpful advice.

Some stories are sad to hear but that's OK - better to reach out and be accepted than to carry the world on one's shoulders by oneself.

IKnowWhoIAmNow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Feb 2014, 1:36 pm

eggheadjr wrote:
I think it's good to be able to tell one's story to others who can relate, understand, and perhaps give helpful advice.

Some stories are sad to hear but that's OK - better to reach out and be accepted than to carry the world on one's shoulders by oneself.

This. But if one is already depressed or otherwise hurting about something, it can be overwhelming, especially if it is something similar to what one is going through. I will sometimes reply to threads when people are asking for help, but sometimes it is just too painful.