Danger of Major Meltdown..please Help

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 11:55 pm

Just yesterday I commented on a thread that I am not intimidated by extremely intelligent people. Well,in less than a day that totally changed.

As some of you already know, I am organizing a mini retreat less than 2 weeks from now. I have been busy baking and cooking and freezing and decorating and filling goody bags, and finding scholarships [out of 18 people, only 4 are not coming on full scholarship] and scheduling, and practicing my speech and setting up craft activities and making arrangements for a trip to Denver Aquarium and making interaction badges and a trigger alert, and, well, tons of stuff. And it has been fun.

It sounds like I have great executive function, right? Not at all. I have obsessively planned activities since a little girl, so I'm okay at that, but most of the time I am so clueless.

So, I have been personalizing the goody bags. Most of the items in the bags are similar for each attendee. I have decided to add one special "something" that shows appreciation for each persons uniqueness. Sooooo, I really studied up on everyone coming and OMG! They are all, without exception, these incredibly intelligent people. I mean uber geniuses [like most of you]

When I have interacted with those coming, via e-mail, I have edited what I type big time. I'm fairly certain that these people do not have a clue that I'm"dumb as a box of rocks,"

I keep thinking about some members here on WP who outspokenly sort and grade [and are dismissive of] others based on their level of intelligence. And there are also many, who would never deliberately shun those less intelligent, but pretty much ignore their posts.

I am so afraid of disapointing everyone. Particularly since I received an e-mail from a young woman about half an hour ago telling me how excited she is to meet me and all the OTHER "twice exceptional" people at the retreat. So, being I had no idea what "twice exceptional" even meant. I looked it up, and, well, "twice exceptional" I'm not.

For example, about half of those attending are fairly decently known writers and public speakers. There are physics teachers, one of the 3 people who chartered ANI, computer nerds, a woman in charge of the engineering of mass transit in her state. Me? Well, I was thrilled because I found birthday candles with different colored flames for the welcome to Authaven dinner, am good at teaching struggling little kids to read, and am probably one of the few women my age who could fit into a bra but doesn't need one [of course the're not real]

Yep, these are examples of my great "achievments."

So, somebody please help me get my head back somewhat together because it feels as though my already mushy brain is starting to leak all over these retreat plans. Thanks.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 12:01 am

Dude, you are a heroine! You are a Goddess! You and your robes and your making everything special for everyone! Ha. There are so many kinds of intelligence and you have the best kind!

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 12:12 am

Wozeree, Thank you! I love you. I am feeling better already.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 12:12 am

Wozeree, Thank you! I love you. I am feeling better already.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 12:29 am

Yes are twice exceptional if not in engineering definitely in personality and caring.

Suggestion. Have somebody assist you with the planning and take frequent short breaks.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

delaSHANE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 12:42 am

My sentiments are the same as wozeree's!
You are amazing!

Have a great time!

delaSHANE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 12:48 am

You are amazing!

Have a great time!

delaSHANE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 12:50 am

You are amazing!

Have a great time!

delaSHANE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 12:50 am

You are amazing!

Have a great time!

salamandaqwerty
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 12:53 am

Ditto with everyone's comments, you sound amazing! Teaching struggling kids to read is hugely important. Don't forget that they are just people! I am super impressed with your thoughtful planning and I am sure it will be greatly appreciated.
I am wishing you the best of luck and hope you enjoy yourself.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 1:12 am

Thank you so much to all of you.

delaSHANE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 1:18 am

I'm not sure how my comment got posted multiple times. Interesting:).

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 1:40 am

I took it as a triple blessing :wink:

delaSHANE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 1:45 am

Indeed! A triple blessing, it is! : ))

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 10:24 am

Maybe I'm a bit too late to respond to this, read it last night and just want to say one thing.

People accomplish for the sake of their own survival. There is a mixture of factors that leads to more accomplishment in the society, including luck and personality, but it doesn't necessarily say much about the person's intelligence. Also, despite having accomplished what they did, they are still human and autistic like you. From my experience, people with autism see all people the same way, regardless of how well they've been able to get along in the society. I've found instead that they/we tend to focus on people's authentic characteristics, their "feel". Focus on humor, sharing experiences, and the sensory environment, and you'll be fine. :)

I first went to Autreat when I was 19; I was just out of high school at the time. However, I still did not feel out of place at Autreat and felt completely included. Yours looks like an amazing event, but I'm in school full-time right now and can't abandon my studies even temporarily for the moment. I hope it goes well :)

P.S. Teaching struggling kids to read is difficult - I've tried it before with non-autistic kids and didn't succeed. I'm also not a technie type and often feel unintelligent compared to these people, especially when people start bashing Psychology which is my area of study. :(

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 10:34 am

I don't see how you can disappoint them. You seem so sweet.

Genius is very nice for those that have it but it's not the only important quality in the world and not necessary for someone to be likable or worth listening to, or speaking to etc.

Some people can just be a bit stuffy.

I'd be a bit off put by a room full of geniuses too, but I am sure many of them will be very nice.