Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2016, 8:21 pm

Well, that might as well be a rhetorical question if I ever heard one :P

But seriously though, folks.

Is it just me, or do you find NTs to be inherent hypocrites because of their "code"???
Well yeah, I totally do, and in two flavours: there are what I call "passive hypocrites", and "active hypocrites".

The former kind are those who fall under the classic definition of hypocrisy: "those who espouse opinions that they do not actually believe in". The first example that springs to mind, which virtually all of us can relate to, is the people who will deny that we have Aspergers, they'll make platitudes like "no, you don't really have that, it doesn't seem like you have it..." yet those same people will mock us behind our back, exclude us without giving the reason, etc, basic passive aggressive behaviour. It took me a while to realize this, but when people were making these remarks, it was part of the NT custom of "smoothing over", since Aspergers is tantamount to mental illness, and mental illness is a big-time taboo topic, so they will skirt around it through denial. But it amounts to hypocrisy, because if they actually believed you were "normal", then they wouldn't have legitimate grounds to avoid you or make excuses to see you or bad-mouth you behind your back. :x

The "active hypocrites" are a little more shall we say institutional in their inconsistent practice of social rules; they will break them but get pissed if other do. One example that comes to mind is some young alpha male NT, who's got "his woman" who he can abuse as he pleases, but if other guys say nasty remarks to her, he's gotta defend her honour. Or worse, when the same man sees a woman being abused in some way on the street, custom dictates that he confront the abuser and put him in his place. This guy will tell others in social company that he doesn't condone the abuse of women just to make him look good, but that's not what he practices. The hypocrisy becomes institutional when police are in the picture; I recall reading a statistic recently that about 40% of police officers have committed domestic violence at home, about double the figure for the general population. I remember watching a movie from the early 90s called "Mad Dog and Glory", where Robert De Niro's character arrives at a domestic violence scene, and confronts the perp - the perp leans out the door, flashes a cop badge and says "yeah, what are you gonna do about it?" says it all... :roll:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2016, 8:27 pm

I find many people to be hypocrites.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2016, 8:39 pm

Like they say in Aspieville - if you've met one Aspie, then you've met one Aspie. Same goes for NT's. My question is just because a person acts a certain way, how can you be sure they are NT? I'm sure that somewhere in this vast universe there is a cop who is Aspie - maybe even one or several in that 40% you were quoting.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

SpaceAgeBushRanger
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jan 2016, 10:14 pm

I think that anyone who aspires to morality will inevitably do something hypocritical at one point.

Hypocrisy doesn't need to be always be such a terrible thing. If someone runs around publicly endorsing something immoral, but then contradicts themselves by doing the right thing where they cannot be seen, I'm on board with that. (I could see someone behaving this way if they had to hide something about their identity, like if they were involved in a resistance network in an occupied country or a closeted homosexual.)

A more specific example of benign hypocrisy would be a religious person disobeying the rules of their religion in order to do something laudable, like a Catholic priest marrying a gay couple or a Jehovah's Witness letting their kid have a blood transfusion. I wouldn't respect their religious convictions, which hardly matters since I don't actually respect many religions, but I'd know in my heart that they'd done the right thing. This whole issue is more nuanced than hypocrisy=shameful.

That said, NTs are not my favourite people and most forms of hypocrisy are somewhat aggravating.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 12:53 am

Only the hypocritical ones

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 7:37 am

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
Only the hypocritical ones
I have found no qualifier for hypocrisy. It abounds everywhere and everyone at one time is hypocritical.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 7:39 am

Everybody can be hypocritical to a degree. Some are just more hypocritical than others. Doesn't necessarily mean NTs or Aspies or other neurotype.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 7:40 am

All human beings can be hypocritical.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 7:44 am

I've found as many aspires to be hypocritical as neurotypicals. Either way, most won't admit it, especially those who blame others for being hypocritical.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 10:33 am

SpaceAgeBushRanger wrote:
A more specific example of benign hypocrisy would be a religious person disobeying the rules of their religion in order to do something laudable, like a Catholic priest marrying a gay couple or a Jehovah's Witness letting their kid have a blood transfusion. I wouldn't respect their religious convictions, which hardly matters since I don't actually respect many religions, but I'd know in my heart that they'd done the right thing. This whole issue is more nuanced than hypocrisy=shameful.

That's not necessarily hypocritical. Just because you espouse a certain religion does not mean you need to agree 100% with everything that authorities of that religion say. I've known Catholics who are openly gay-tolerant and think that homophobia is based on a misinterpretation of Bible verses. Someone like that marrying a gay couple would not be a hypocrite.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 10:36 am

Ettina wrote:
SpaceAgeBushRanger wrote:

That's not necessarily hypocritical. Just because you espouse a certain religion does not mean you need to agree 100% with everything that authorities of that religion say. I've known Catholics who are openly gay-tolerant and think that homophobia is based on a misinterpretation of Bible verses. Someone like that marrying a gay couple would not be a hypocrite.
I've also noted times where people imply hypocrisy in others when they don't fully understand the rules of any situation be it religious or otherwise.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

Idealist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jan 2016, 10:46 am

I've find that most people tend to be hypocrites, regardless of whether their Neuraltypical or not.

I can ether condemn them for it, or I can forgive them and hope to teach them a better way by example.

Idealist wrote:
My Autism was cured/treated in late childhood (this makes me a walking, talking, contradiction to 90% of the Forum who all believe Autism is incurable)

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 10:47 am

^That's right! Good for you! :D

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jan 2016, 10:57 am

Everyone is a hypocrite they just only have an excuse for theirs and tolerate their own hypocrisy.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 11:00 am

SnailHail wrote:
Everyone is a hypocrite they just only have an excuse for theirs and tolerate their own hypocrisy.
Hahahaha...been hoisted on that petard many times. Nothing like self blindness.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13