Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

svaughan
Raven
Raven

27 Nov 2015, 9:31 am

Hey guys,

I came across a video the other day of a chap who got a handle of his Aspergers through physical training. Looking at this video you would never guess that he has it. I think it's a cool video and representative of the fact that Aspies are not always the stereotypical geek. I myself am into working out and it certainly does help your confidence.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 10:22 am

The best way to help your confidence is to realize that you, even though you have esoteric interests, are a viable person, too. You, even though you might have sensory sensitivities, are a viable person, too. You, even though you seem "geeky," are a viable person, too. You, even if you might be awkward in social situations, are a viable person, too.

Nothing wrong with working out--let me emphasize that.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 10:31 am

The first time I set up a table in Tower City to sell artwork, I was told to conform to a dress code and wear nice business clothes, so I did. And I didn't sell very much.

The second time I set up a table in Tower City to sell artwork, I broke the rules and dressed like an artist.
Wore my Indiana Jones hat to symbolize that art is an adventure.
And it worked.
People bought my art. :D

So let your freak flag fly!
Own it!

If other people don't like it, it's their loss.

"It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine." -- REM

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 10:37 am

Autistic special interest is not always the same as geek interest. As long as it is obsessive and you love the topic it is a special interest. Also bieng socially "off" does not neccessarly mean rude.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Uncle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 10:41 am

Loved this :)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 11:02 am

the_phoenix wrote:

So let your freak flag fly

There is a history behind that expression that is very relevant for us. Back in the 1960's when the hippie phenomenon broke big, mainstream people often called them freaks. A lot of negative sterotypes proliferated such as hippies never bathed, or they were dispite the peace and love rhetoric spree killers like the Manson family (Sound familiar?). Hippies started informally calling themselves "freaks" as a positive thing. It is what is known as Reappropriation. "Aspie", "Aspergian", "Autie", "Autist" are examples of reappropriation. Another words the term Aspie was not invented to remind people of Ass - burgers or to be ableist towered other autistics.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 11:21 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
the_phoenix wrote:

So let your freak flag fly

There is a history behind that expression that is very relevant for us. Back in the 1960's when the hippie phenomenon broke big, mainstream people often called them freaks. A lot of negative sterotypes proliferated such as hippies never bathed, or they were dispite the peace and love rhetoric spree killers like the Manson family (Sound familiar?). Hippies started informally calling themselves "freaks" as a positive thing. It is what is known as Reappropriation. "Aspie", "Aspergian", "Autie", "Autist" are examples of reappropriation. Another words the term Aspie was not invented to remind people of Ass - burgers or to be ableist towered other autistics.

Thank you for the history lesson, ASPartOfMe!

I hope you're enjoying a nice long weekend. :)

"It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine." -- REM

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 11:35 am

Uncle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 8:41 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Thank you for this post ASPartOFME! I have seen a few videos of this young lady before but not this one.. I found this video quit moving as much if not all she said i could relate to. Look forward to seeing more positive posts about life on the spectrum :)

svaughan
Raven
Raven

28 Nov 2015, 9:51 am

Indeed we shouldn't be aftaid to be ourselves, whatever that maybe. The geek phenomenon is just a scoiety- based construct, some Aspies will come across as geeks others won't.

A geek does not necessarily have Aspergers and most likely doesn't. I agree also that socially off doesn't mean rude. Being quiet and tuned out can be enough sign that something is amiss.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2015, 10:04 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
The best way to help your confidence is to realize that you, even though you have esoteric interests, are a viable person, too. You, even though you might have sensory sensitivities, are a viable person, too. You, even though you seem "geeky," are a viable person, too. You, even if you might be awkward in social situations, are a viable person, too.

Nothing wrong with working out--let me emphasize that.
You certainly embody this principle, kraftiekortie. Tell us, how did you come to this realization, yourself?

svaughan
Raven
Raven

28 Nov 2015, 11:46 am

I think it's cool when somebodyshatters the Aspie stereotype.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2015, 1:07 pm

Repost every time darkphantom makes a new thread. :mrgreen:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 2:32 am

College football player

svaughan
Raven
Raven

02 Dec 2015, 3:56 am

The college football player is a great example. I was hopeless at team sports. I could never kick or catch a ball very well, although I'm a fast runner.

svaughan
Raven
Raven

02 Dec 2015, 4:06 am

Jessica- Jane applegate, a paralympic swimmer: