Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 5:15 pm

I was talking with one HFA guy I know. I don't remember how it came up (I suspect it was SAT prep and stuff), but we started talking about "processing capacity". I think it's something like how easily you can process information. I couldn't Google it, because only computer stuff would appear. What does this mean?

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 6:15 pm

I think of it as being a lot like a computer processor - because we have more neural sensory connections in our brains than NT people do, so much data comes in so fast, that it "plugs up the funnel" so to speak - like trying to run brand new software on an obsolete computer - there's too much data trying to load for the old processor to handle at once, so it either locks up and crashes completely, or slows waAaAAaAaay down, while the processor buffers and buffers and buffers...

And that's what causes sensory overload and sometimes leads to meltdowns.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 10:19 pm

Willard wrote:
I think of it as being a lot like a computer processor - because we have more neural sensory connections in our brains than NT people do, so much data comes in so fast, that it "plugs up the funnel" so to speak - like trying to run brand new software on an obsolete computer - there's too much data trying to load for the old processor to handle at once, so it either locks up and crashes completely, or slows waAaAAaAaay down, while the processor buffers and buffers and buffers...

And that's what causes sensory overload and sometimes leads to meltdowns.
Cool, That is a great way to visualize it. I always knew that my melt downs were caused by sensory overload but the funnel visual and the never ceasing buffering little circle or hourglass makes me really understand it better. I used to think of my brain under attack like a machine gun being fired at it and then it just exploding from trying to handle the onslaught. That is how it feels sometimes. But this visual is great.

I was out with my husband the other day and he said something to me and out of the blue I freaked out and yelled at him and just blew up. He told me that that is a huge problem of mine that I will erupt with no warning sometimes. I could never understand why that happens because sometimes it is not obvious that there is a lot going on. But I think with this new visual it makes a lot more sense. I think that it might be possible that my brain is trying to process so much more than I realize it is and every now and then even a little tiny thing can just push it over the edge. The hard part of that is that I don't have warning. I never realize that it is going to happen until it does. I have been told that it is not fair to others that I have these little episodes without any warning to them because it throws them off and they don't know what to do. But if I don't have any warning I don't know how I can warn them so it get hard. I can usually feel full blown meltdowns coming on and then I can manage them to a degree but these little quickies are harder to feel. I can usually control the actual outburst by squeezing my hand real tight or freeze up stiffen or something like that rather than yelling. People still hate that and think it's weird and offensive but it's the best I can do to keep it silent and contained and less visible. That is what I would normally do in public but this time I just decided to let it out and not really care who saw it.

I don't always go into full meltdown when that happens though and sometimes one good yell or freeze up or fist and jaw clench and I can be fine for awhile. It hurts my husband though so I have to try to be careful or even find another way more subtle way to express and release it. I yelled at him in public and that was scary because I would not want them to take me to the loony house. But the visual you gave Willard, helps me understand more why I do this sometimes.

Wreck It Ralph