How some of us get along and how we may seem to normals

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Young_fogey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2007, 7:19 am

From an article about dogs:

'Social parasites inject themselves into the social systems of other species and thrive there. Dogs are masters at that. They show a range of emotions—love, anxiety, curiosity—and thus trick us into thinking they possess the full range of human feelings.'

I'm not saying we're leeches/sponges or don't feel but normals often accuse us of that. And many of us get by socially by 'faking it' as it seems dogs do.

nb411
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2007, 8:01 am

I don't think dogs are faking it. Their emotions are real just less complex. Humans have a habit of humanising things. Like when people say their car is sick. When it comes to dogs people interpret their behaviours and thoughts as more complex than they really are and that's when stupid things like dog weddings happen.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2007, 8:43 am

I do think we fake it to get along. I also think NTs inadvertantly think this means we are "cured" or that we have "learned" how to read faces, situations, etc. Basically, we're just acting and it means nothing except we want to get along. It makes me wonder how much they can really "read" about each other if they can be so easily fooled.

By the way, dogs are dogs. They live in pack order and humans can oftentimes lend themselves to that. There are just as many cases of dogs in pounds because the human failed to realize who had the bigger brain. In other words, they reward bad behavior from the dog's perspective, then get angry because the dog doesn't "know better" later on. This is the point where my mother always said, You have the bigger brain so use it.

agent79
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Feb 2007, 9:21 am

I think that dogs have primitive emotions...at least all of the dogs that I've ever cared for did.

You could register happiness when they received a treat.

You could sense the overwhelming sadness of my little male when my little female died suddenly. (He---a virtual glutton---did not eat for days. We thought that he might die.)

I also think that dog weddings are silly, BUT I have been known to dress my dog when the weather is very cold.

As far as "faking it"...who doesn't, on occasion, imitate an emotion/action to get through a particularly difficult situation?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

13 Feb 2007, 12:46 pm

i dont think humans were to ever have knowelege, or to be aware. it wouldnt be a problem if you didnt know about emotions

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2007, 1:27 pm

It's interesting, but if people are willing to accept us that is great.

Candymanic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Feb 2007, 1:51 pm

Well i wouldn't be surprised if some folks did consider us acting 'normal' to be fake. Some people are just bigots who cannot understand anything outside of their definition of normality.

We're capable of the same emotions as NTs have, it just doesn't come as naturally. It varies from person to person, but whilst we have to sometimes build logical mental constructs in order to feel those emotions, they're still valid and true.

Dogs? They feel emotions alright, as do most animals. It's just that they're simplier. The only reason we are where we are today is because we learned to think and evolve a complex way of thinking that allows us an increased chance of survival and adaptation.

Heh, in which case, what does that make us aspies? Evolutionary dead ends or the next step of man's evolutionary journey?

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2007, 1:54 pm

Why? It shows that we people have a sense of life.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

13 Feb 2007, 2:24 pm

larsenjw92286 wrote:
It's interesting, but if people are willing to accept us that is great.
ahahahaha

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2007, 2:26 pm

Of course!

I mean that!

Shale
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2007, 4:24 pm

I love reading threads like this...it reminds me that there isn't that much of a rift between Aspies and NTs when it comes to the social battlefield :lol: Trust me...everyone fakes it, and most of us walk into brick walls trying. The only people who don't are people that come across as either rude or stupid (got angry middle-aged man vs blonde teenage girl?).

Faking it is how you get on in society. No exceptions. Everyone has to do it. In fact, for many people it may seem REAL because it comes so naturally. You adjust yourself for whatever audience you're before.

I think, more accurately, it must be said that NTs generally don't realise they're acting, whereas for Aspies it's a very conscious decision to do so. People that 'be themselves' are often those aggressive, grumpy old businessmen that have a go at everyone. Who needs to act when you have all the money and power you need it to laud it over people?

mariiha
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Feb 2007, 4:40 pm

Dogs, as well as all other life forms (except human beings) tend to follow their DNA maps without question..."Here and now" is the focus. They do what they are engineered to do. Then along come all the modifications exclusive of humans who try to customize things to suit their own desires for power and control. So basically, they end up complicating everything they come in contact with. Simple solution...when attempting to alter the very core of nature, DON'T. :shameonyou:

King_Mob
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Feb 2007, 8:21 pm

[quote="Shale"]
I think, more accurately, it must be said that NTs generally don't realise they're acting, whereas for Aspies it's a very conscious decision to do so.
[quote]

Perfectly said :lol:

Last edited by King_Mob on 13 Feb 2007, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

King_Mob

13 Feb 2007, 8:25 pm

[quote="mariiha"]
Dogs, as well as all other life forms (except human beings) tend to follow their DNA maps without question..."Here and now" is the focus.
[quote]

This is what I think is so perfect about animals. For we do we truly have other than the "Here and Now"?? Animals always seem to live in the moment, with no anxieties of past or present.