How do you deal with being talked down upon?

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Clandestiny
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2014, 10:56 pm

hihowareyou wrote:
Are you passive, aggressive or passive aggressive?

When it's a work situation, I tend to be overly agreeable and a pushover because history has taught me that if a mistake was made, it almost always means it was my fault in some way (usually because I miss something that others find obvious, or I misunderstand something I thought I understood).

If I'm feeling targeted though (because the above survival tactic, while more effective than being defensive, opens me up for being targeted) I'll get hyper defensive.

freddie_mercury
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Feb 2014, 10:51 am

I actually have a hard time telling when I am being insulted or talked down to at times. I normally take it as what I think is sarcasm. Which is good sometimes, because people find it hard to really insult me. But it is a double-edged sword, because I will respond in kind, thinking that we are just having a fun-spirited conversation...and I tend to get in trouble.

But when I realize that I was being talked down to/insulted (as explained to me by friends), I have a really hard time forgetting it - and then I will really dwell on it - unable to move on - and typically explode at some point in the future...and people think it comes out of nowhere. And then they look at me like I am crazy.

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Feb 2014, 8:46 pm

Definitely aggressive. I don't handle condescension well at all.

IdleHands
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Feb 2014, 9:12 pm

I turn into a pit bull and shred people by pointing out there flaws in a professional systematic way. Then later I face palm and hate myself for not being able to keep my mouth shut. This is by far the most detrimental symptom I have. A poor filter that just spills my perception of truth rooted in my moral and knowledge based system I have built while trying to live as an infiltrator behind enemy lines.