How do you deal with being talked down upon?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

hihowareyou
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Feb 2014, 11:52 am

Are you passive, aggressive or passive aggressive?

Last edited by hihowareyou on 19 Feb 2014, 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 12:01 pm

If it is just a one-off encounter, I generally register a negative impression of the person and disengage with silent scorn.

On rare occasion, if I am feeling more feisty, I will try to react in a way intended to put them back into their place.

I don't face this with any ongoing associations, quite simply because I curtail association with people who talk down to me.

Scanner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Feb 2014, 12:17 pm

When it comes to confrontations and I know what I am talking about and I know I am right I am very confident and will put people in their place, when it comes to people I barely know. When it comes to people I know a bit it just becomes a mess and I don't know what to say.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 1:07 pm

Either I don't realize it at first and feel angry/self conscious about it later. I realize it and it really makes me mad and I react angrily or get upset or if I am able to stay more calm I usually respond with sarcasm or I might just act in a more 'b*tchy' manner towards them. I guess it sort of depends on the situation and who is talking down.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 1:15 pm

I usually avoid contact with them and gossip about them. Those types of people totally deserve to be gossiped about.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 1:23 pm

I don't mind it, from strangers. I typically come across as looking timid, confused, and lost, so when people ask if I need help I appreciate that they were trying to be kind to me.

Pobbles
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 2:33 pm

I ask straight out "do I look like a dog to you?"

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 2:41 pm

Pobbles wrote:

Pretty much this. A person can only push me this far before I open my mouth and let them know I don't like their condescending or patronizing tone. Not a good idea to pull that stuff on me.

MadeUnderground
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 3:30 pm

If it's a person that I have to see on a regular basis then I will address it, upfront, in a polite but stern way.

No one has ever continued to be condescending to me after I do that.

If it's someone I'm not around much at all then I usually say something like, "Why do you do that?" "What?" "Why do you talk to me like I'm six? You may not realize you're doing it but it's annoying the hell out of me so please just stop."

Usually if a person is that way, they're doing it to everyone. So often times I wind up being the one that stands up to that person because other people react in a passive aggressive way.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 3:40 pm

I think I'm unable to pick up on a condescending tone. I've never witnessed anyone being condescending to another person in my life.

So now I'm guessing people probably have been condescending to me, but I just didn't know. :shrug:

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 6:20 pm

I react by patronising the person & acting as arrogantly as possible to them from then on.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 11:42 am

CyclopsSummers wrote:
Pobbles wrote:

Pretty much this. A person can only push me this far before I open my mouth and let them know I don't like their condescending or patronizing tone. Not a good idea to pull that stuff on me.

I'll try saying that in the future.

o0iella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Feb 2014, 4:25 pm

I get talked down to all the time. In an ideal world I'd confront people about this, or make some witty comeback, but when I do, it often backfires as I don't get the timing right, and people indignantly deny that they're doing this. So I usually respond to people who make a habit of being condescending by being cold and unfriendly.

tonmeister
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Feb 2014, 11:33 am

There is nothing in the world that I hate as much as condescension. I even seem to find it where I've been told it doesn't exist (overly friendly salespeople, etc.)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2014, 1:07 pm

tonmeister wrote:
There is nothing in the world that I hate as much as condescension. I even seem to find it where I've been told it doesn't exist (overly friendly salespeople, etc.)

That's the same with me.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2014, 10:37 pm

I don't tolerate being talked down to in any shape, way, or form, it's insulting and ill-mannered. I always respond with aggressiveness, because I find that's the only thing they'll understand. If I'm polite, they walk all over me, if I'm an *ss, they usually think twice before engaging me again in conversation (which is fine with me), especially when I make them look stupid.

My philosophy is, if they want to talk down to me, I'll talk down to them. If they show a little respect, then I show respect. I treat people how they treat me, simple as that, most people don't like being on the receiving end of their own sh*t.