Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Do prefer to use subtitles when watching the telly?
Yes 70%  70%  [ 28 ]
No 30%  30%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 40

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 8:52 am

I always put subtitles on. Have since I was a kid. Sometimes I wish people had subtitles in real life. I have excellent hearing, but I sometimes don't catch what people say.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 10:05 am

I do with anime and in-depth movies..easier to follow.

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 10:32 am

I have NO problem with my hearing but I find it hard to keep up with the storyline if I do not have subtitles. Also, sometimes the characters are speaking so fast that I am trying so hard to keep up with their voices that I miss the content so the subtitles help with that as well. When something I am watching DOESN'T have titles I get upset....heh.

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Feb 2014, 12:31 pm

I have low vision & listen more than I watch. I'm also dyslexic & despite having a reading ability a grade ahead in elementary & middle school; I read very slowly. I cant keep up with subtitles & they are a visual distraction from the show. I can handle them a little bit in shows but I will get a headache & tune the whole show out & miss half the subtitles if I were to try reading them for a whole show.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 12:59 pm

I have gotten into the habit of having subtitles on whenever I watch a DVD. It just feels comforting to me. My older relatives like them on too, but my younger relatives always get on to me. I remember once when I was watching a DVD with my cousin, my brother came into the room and then saw that I had subtitles on the screen and he immediately asked my cousin, ''does having subtitles on annoy you?'' I felt annoyed when he said that because I knew he was trying to imply ''switch the subtitles off immediately, it's only you that likes them, nobody else!'' I did ask my cousin before we watched the film if it was all right if I put the subtitles on, and he said he didn't mind.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 1:05 pm

A lot of times, a word can sound slerd or be misinterpreted from noise. I like to have the CC on so if there is a word I didn't understand then I could look at the caption and know what is really is.

Emiruko
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Feb 2014, 1:23 pm

Verdandi wrote:
I use subtitles whenever possible due to audio processing issues.

I think that may be my problem. I can't understand what people are saying if too many sounds are going on even if it the tv is loud enough for everyone else to understand. I end up rewinding a lot, so maybe subtitles would be better. A lot of live subtitles are really off though. Also, how do you find out if you have audio processing issues?

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 1:24 pm

Emiruko wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
I use subtitles whenever possible due to audio processing issues.

I think that may be my problem. I can't understand what people are saying if too many sounds are going on even if it the tv is loud enough for everyone else to understand. I end up rewinding a lot, so maybe subtitles would be better. A lot of live subtitles are really off though. Also, how do you find out if you have audio processing issues?

An audiologist would do some tests and figure out what's going on with you.

Random42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Feb 2014, 1:45 pm

I use subtitles. I find it is easier to understand what is said. Also, if characters look similar it often shows the name of the character speaking. Also, sometimes, it even indicates if something is said sarcastically or with some other emotion.

AQ: 39
Aspie-quiz AS:154 NT:50
RAADS-R: 194
EQ:15 SQ:114

Buzz201
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Feb 2014, 4:35 pm

I prefer to have subtitles on, because my hearing isn't brilliant. But I don't need them, I can watch stuff without.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 8:54 pm

Callista wrote:
I use subtitles whenever the language is not my first language.

Which is to say, always. Spoken language is not my first language. :D

btbnnyr wrote:
I used to think that I wanted hooomans to have subtitles, so I could understand what they were saying bester, but now I don't care anymore, after I used up my social interaction quota for 2014 in two days this weekend.

Both these replies made me giggle :lol:

Yes I prefer to use subtitles on tv shows and movies, whenever possible. It makes it easier to understand what people are saying. Although most things I watch over and over to the point where I begin to memorize and anticipate the dialogue anyway.

It would be easier to understand people in real life if they had subtitles, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to listen. Being on Ritalin 18 years ago was kind of like having subtitles because I could finally listen to what people were saying, but it was BORING.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 10:39 am

i find them very distracting.