Page 2 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 2:28 am

There's been some nasty stuff said about Alex on WP in the past, which I found upsetting. I've never met Alex in person, and I doubt I ever will, but I bet he is a great person. :D

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 6:51 am

^ ^Yes, you and all his other secret fanclubs Jo. :heart:

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 7:57 am

Empathy wrote:
leejosepho wrote:
Quote:
...a site that has outgrown its life expectancy...

I do not know who might have been expecting less, but yes, quite impressive!

If I'd have wanted a seminar I'd have asked for one...

What?!

Empathy wrote:
...I think its possible you can outlive and outgrow both.

Both what?

Empathy wrote:
The decision to take the lead...and then disappear occasionally and...return...means the simple issues don't get dealt with...

For example? And also, do you believe some kind of contract has been broken?

Empathy wrote:
I'd rather there be a frequent and responsive delegate here...

Have you contacted Alex to offer?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 8:18 am

Sometimes people sound off about how things should be run, but then when they're invited to step up to the plate, they back down.

alex
Developer
Developer

07 Dec 2017, 8:30 am

I apologize for "running off only to pop in once in a while" but I do a lot for the autism community with not just Wrong Planet. And even when I'm not actively posting, I'm checking the site and keeping an eye on things.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 9:23 am

I don't think you have anything to apologize for, Alex. This is one of the best forums that's ever existed.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 11:32 am

EzraS wrote:
I don't think you have anything to apologize for, Alex. This is one of the best forums that's ever existed.

Seconded

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 3:43 pm

I think some of the problems people have with Alex comes from either people who believe Autism is only a negative and any talk of gifts or strengths is misleading the public or believe that somebody who has accomplished what he has cannot possibly be autistic.

Disagreeing with the neurodiversity movement or wanting a cure is one thing, believing pro-ND people are the enemy is another, but we are in the era where zero-sum game thinking is dominant and WP is not isolated from what is going on these days.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 6:24 pm

alex wrote:
I apologize for "running off only to pop in once in a while" but I do a lot for the autism community with not just Wrong Planet. And even when I'm not actively posting, I'm checking the site and keeping an eye on things.

Well you certainly turned up for this thread, and look I'm sorry to appear 'old school' about these methods and things, but whereas some things are checked out others aren't, and I'm seeing a rise in the numbers of females leaving.
I wonder why..
Its hardly fair to women for example, to keep a sub forum open that gets constantly abused by men, should women like to air one another s differences and not be so dam general all the time and if it was getting checked like you said, there'd be absolutely no sexism. Whoever instigates discussions, like to bring people in, and then inform other members with useless information. We're not your home/furniture project, even if I'm the only member stating it.
So, what happened to nice things happening to people for a change, instead of what we're seeing, and I hope you feel good that others here are swotting up to you, because some of us aren't and are biting our lips so much it bloody hurts. So much for appeals. Following your rules people either think you can't be bothered because it is an opinion and therefore it is justified, or are just too scared to say, in case you relegate the damage elsewhere.
And we're offended by it. So stand up and be a leader for once, or keep walking. Your choice.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 7:48 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Autism is only a negative and any talk of gifts or strengths is misleading the public or believe that somebody who has accomplished what he has cannot possibly be autistic.

The choices we're made to feel we have are very misleading, and I'd like to state we're not all into make believing hypothesis and actually would like habitual ways of life that suit ourselves. Not some minder telling us what we may or may not do for the sake of saving face. He's forgetting, he has an awkward condition too.
I can't account for how I feel right now, but if I can't do anything i'd rather he delete s**t load of threads.. that certainly is wearing the ground thin on most of us, and why stick to the same old topics because it is customary.

How is anyone going to break out of their comfort zone thinking like that, making up news stories because they think people want a news reel everyday.. and being a crusader doesn't make you the nations favourite.
As for the republican or democrat or whichever man about town he is, I'd remark that handing out last years Christmas crackers don't always get you the wishes you want.
My nan passed away, and I know I won't be getting the wish I want. So, if he has any compassion, he'll stamp out any sadism before Xmas, as I have enough worries of my own to deal with.
I don't know exactly what he wants, but I bet I don't have the same card list he has..
I've got more than enough to deal with right now, the nations cast iron bells have chimed the tall order of Big Ben one time too many.. and there's no way I'm standing in for the final act.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 8:23 pm

Empathy wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Autism is only a negative and any talk of gifts or strengths is misleading the public or believe that somebody who has accomplished what he has cannot possibly be autistic.

The choices we're made to feel we have are very misleading, and I'd like to state we're not all into make believing hypothesis and actually would like habitual ways of life that suit ourselves. Not some minder telling us what we may or may not do for the sake of saving face. He's forgetting, he has an awkward condition too.
I can't account for how I feel right now, but if I can't do anything i'd rather he delete s**t load of threads.. that certainly is wearing the ground thin on most of us, and why stick to the same old topics because it is customary.

How is anyone going to break out of their comfort zone thinking like that, making up news stories because they think people want a news reel everyday.. and being a crusader doesn't make you the nations favourite.
As for the republican or democrat or whichever man about town he is, I'd remark that handing out last years Christmas crackers don't always get you the wishes you want.
My nan passed away, and I know I won't be getting the wish I want. So, if he has any compassion, he'll stamp out any sadism before Xmas, as I have enough worries of my own to deal with.
I don't know exactly what he wants, but I know I don't have the same card list he has..
I've got more than enough to deal with right now,The nations cast iron bells have chimed the tall order of Big Ben one time too many.. and there's no way I'm standing in for the final act.

I don't know what goes on in Love and Dating because I rarely go there because 1. That is not where I am now in my life 2. I keep hearing how toxic it is and have been reading about how bad it is over there since I joined WP over 4 years ago.

Love and Dating should not have been allowed to remain a cesspool for too long. A cesspool does overflow and the grudges from there do infect other sections. It is a question moderation. Rules need to be explicitly spelled out and consistently enforced. Every once and a while a PM should be sent to all members reminding them of the rules and telling us about changes. And new members need to see the rules as part of the registration process.

Alex can do whatever he wants he likes with his site. No one of us are going to like everything that goes on here. The moderation will often seem too strict or too loose and probably both. The choice is up to us but it is always helpful to know what we are getting into.

What I have noticed is that things on WP come and go. There are waves where there have been three or four similtanious threads going I that I find bothersome or worse. Then it peters out, then it comes back etc.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 8:25 pm

rowan_nichol wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Seconded

I'm not saying I haven't aired complaints in the past. But then again, it seems I haven't had anything to complain about for a while, so looks like my complaints have been addressed.

There's no other autism site or forum I know of that's held up nearly as well as WP has. And really that goes for most forums period which have dried up, since this type of format has become obsolete to many in favor of other newer social media constructs.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 9:38 pm

I'm often critical of Alex -and for a number of reasons- but this is his site and past or present he has done more than a majority of us for the Autism community. I believe a new delegate to handle the site as a chair would be ideal and Alex still be the public face, but you know...that's just my opinion, man. :P

I think a couple of the comments on this thread which got bumped (without being rude) prove why this site needs to exist. Other forums frankly wouldn't know WTF the users are on about nor would they give such users the time of day, whereas this forum time and time again will. We should be mindful of that level of generosity the current moderation team affords us.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 10:01 pm

I've come to appreciate this forum, and find myself thankful for it and some of the things I've found here.
To Alex, the mods, and the majority of the other people here,
Thanks for being here.
It's helped.

Last edited by elbowgrease on 07 Dec 2017, 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 10:06 pm

Forget it. No helping that dumpster :lol:
Just enjoy the drama.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 10:11 pm

Ah.
I couldn't delete that fast enough. Do have an idea, though.