Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

abc123
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jan 2012, 1:06 pm

Is anyone else quite allergic/sensitive? I have slight asthma, hayfever, dermatitis and much to my disgust horses and cats which I love. Now I have developed a reaction to earrings. My skin can get quite itchy and goes a bit red/itchy when I shower even with just water.

MusicIsLife2Me
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jan 2012, 1:23 pm

Yes my skin is quote sensitive to nickel. It bleeds if I wear a belt with a nickel buckle. I am allergic to cats and long haired dogs. Nobody likes dust but it is torture to me. Sometimes flowers can make me sneeze a lot. I also cannot wear fake gold, my skin turns green. I also cannot wear fake silver. I break out and itch.
So yeah you are not alone lol.

Ria1989
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jan 2012, 3:35 pm

My immediate family is allergic to cats and dogs. My brother and I are both allergic to tree nuts; anaphlyctic (so) shock occurs if I eat any type of nut. It sucks!

keira
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 3:53 pm

Actually, I'm allergic to cats and most of the pets but my allergy somehow got better now that I keep cats at home. I don't know how that happened.
I can't wear anything but silver and gold for longer than an hour.
Also, I'm quite allergic to mold and dust.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

31 Jan 2012, 9:04 pm

I had extremely bad Atopic Dermatitis(a form of skin eczema) as a kid. I outgrew a lot of it but I have more sinus problems than the average person & I heard from a few docs that sinus problems is quite common with Atopic Dermatitis. Thankfully I don't have any food intolerances & the only med I'm allergic to is Penicillin

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

RobotGreenAlien2
Toucan
Toucan

01 Feb 2012, 6:44 pm

not to be a dick. just in case you're building a theory I'm not allergic to anything.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 9:16 pm

My nose is incredibly sensitive, which leads to migraines.

However my skin isn't (in that sort of way, senses of touch are off), and I don't have any food sensitivities.

TalusJumper
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Feb 2012, 9:23 pm

Just like Musicislife, I have always been allergic to nickel. However, I recently developed a nasty allergy to cyanoacrylate (super glue).

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 9:45 pm

I'm allergic to some detergents and dry cleaning products.

The few friends I had in high school forced me to go to prom (well, they bought me a ticket and guilt tripped me until I went, I didn't want to go) and the worst place to find out you're allergic is somewhere like that. I was already miserable and overloaded from the lights and music and socialization, and then I broke out into hives.

My friends were mad at me for being a party pooper, but I didn't even want to go in the first place.

I also have a reaction to heat - when my body gets warm, from physical exertion or temperature changes or emotions, I get all prickly, like needles are stabbing me. The official name is cholinergic urticaria.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 11:48 pm

abc123 wrote:
Is anyone else quite allergic/sensitive? I have slight asthma, hayfever, dermatitis and much to my disgust horses and cats which I love. Now I have developed a reaction to earrings. My skin can get quite itchy and goes a bit red/itchy when I shower even with just water.

I was allergic to wheat, barley, oates, strawberries(most berries), apples, types of grass, chocolate, etc. I went to a health clinic for years. Also, i had asthma and severe hay fever. I out grew most of the allergies and the asthma.

TheSunAlsoRises

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 9:02 pm

My list of allergies include:

- Hay Fever - I had really severe hay fever when I was young (I was always carrying several tissues and constantly wiping my nose). I still have hay fever issues these days, but thankfully, not as bad.
- Insect Bites - I have allergic reaction to insect bites (mostly mosquito bites). When bitten, my skin swells up tremendously. When I was younger, my mom thought I had fractured my ankle, it was that bad.
- Cats - Sadly, I am allergic to certain cats.

Are allergies in any way related to Sensory Processing issues (that are common to ASD)? Just curious.

ral31
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 May 2014, 9:44 pm

Yep, I have severe hay fever, food/environmental allergies, and dermatitis. Stress/emotions definitely play a part in making them worse.
The old doctors tale is "psoriasis is the rash that itches and dermatitis is the itch that rashes." It's an oversimplification, but it does make me wonder, are my social difficulties simply a result of anxiety due to my fear of peoples reaction? or is it a whole package of physical/mental? In some cases the former makes sense, ie. dating. In others the latter ie. group interactions. Itching can start as a reaction to an allergen or an emotion. The line is very blurry for me.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 9:49 pm

I have a Intolerance to Apple Juice, but not Apples, Apple sauce, Apple Pie or Candy Apples.

it causes... well.. not a great toilet Experience I'll say that :oops:

i also cant drink Purple Slushies (specifically purple) or Refreshers from Star Bucks.

I also have Psoriasis on my scalp.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

B19
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 11:46 pm

You bet! Severely allergic to nickel. Hayfever, excema, asthma, gluten intolerant, some food reactions (bananas are the worst) and penicillin.

Allergies are quite common on the spectrum.

When I was a child, doctor said I would grow out of them. Now in my 60s and still waiting :(

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2014, 12:27 am

I'm allergic to people :lol: no, just kidding, but I am actually quite sensitive to a lot of chemical scents people wear like perfume or deordorant or aftershave, to the point that it is hard to breathe around them. I only use all natural or organic products myself.

I can tolerate cheap jewelry if it is not tight fitting, like a loose bracelet, but some metals will make me itch or turn my skin green. I can't wear anything but gold earrings, and even those feel a little itchy.

Having polyester directly against my skin makes me feel hot and itchy.

I am very allergic to dust and mold and sometimes disturbing something that hasn't been dusted in awhile will make me feel very sick. I'm allergic to pollen, and dogs and some cats (including some of the cats who live with me :( )

I have chronic sinus infections and ear infections, that go up and down in intensity, and I get hay fever, and violent sneezing attacks to random things.

I used allergy drops when I was growing up, but it never really helped. The only thing that helped was when I went away to college in a place that had a very different (rainy) climate. I had almost no trouble at all with allergies there.

I don't know for sure if I have any food allergies or intolerances but I suspect I have fructose intolerance, and lactose intolerance. Also don't seem to react well to food colorings.

Not sure if I have any drug allergies either, but I am highly sensitive to all kinds of pharmaceutical drugs and I avoid them unless absolutely necessary.

Touching weeds and grass outside can make me feel very itchy. But strangely I don't seem to be allergic to poison oak or poison ivy.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2014, 1:03 am

artificial flavors, artificial colors, wool, milk, chocolate, wheat, caffeine, carrots, green beans, cherries, onions, tomatoes, beef, eggs, peanuts, shrimp (shellfish), animal dander, dust mites, grass, pollen

asthma

dermatitis

I hate air freshener, any artificial smells. They make me sick.